1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Eldon Talley Talisong Flippers Edition

jjhamilton Jul 7, 2015

1. Mack22

Mack22 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Apart from the appearance JJ, what sets this apart from the Tailsong?

2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Weight and balance points. The original Talisong ,as beautiful work as it is, just is too blade heavy to flip. Due to the solid handles of the Flipper Edition here, and lightened blade grind, this series has a balance and weight distribution aimed more in the direction of flipping.

**Did you even read the original Talisong review?! Hurtful....

3. Mack22

Mack22 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

*** Yeah br0. I read both of your reviews.
    They were a good read.
    I for one, appreciate the time you put into the reviews.
    I'm sure you're plenty busy with life itself.

You answered what i needed to know regarding both knives.

I thought maybe the Flipper is the same, just with different handle texture and blade profile.
    But seems as though i'm way off base here.

4. ORONOYO

ORONOYO JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

So is it a top tier flipper or handle heavy and a step in the right direction?
    Just wondering cuz this seems like it's in the high roller class, meaning that 95% of flippers wont be able to afford it and there will be so few it doesn't really matter and they will just end up in collectiions(which is totally cool). W/ the other channel bali's coming out (T3, JDBA) at way less money and more options(better steel, clip...) is this a good one to tryn get? hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, just curious.
    JD bali seems pretty similar minus bushing but plus better steel and is cheaper, have u handled that?

5. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Highrollers are about $800 if I recall correctly. This is considerably cheaper at about $700 :bwah:

How many Highrollers are there? Eldon mentioned that he's doing about 40 of the Flipper Edition. Seems like enough to me if $700 is his price point.

As far as blade steel goes and pocket clips... ask any flipper how interested they are in those details. I mean I could be wrong and I could be making a HUGE assumption here, but... the Flipper Edition may be aimed at flipping? :ropeman:

But if you're comparing price of the channel Bali's... if you want something cheaper get a production Bali, if you don't get a custom. I suppose it's kinda like comparing an Arashi to the Specter.

As for how good it flips. JJ seemed to like it more than the Balibalistic Dedicated Flipper from what I read. Is that any good? Idk.

6. ORONOYO

I wonder if changing the blade grind would help w/ the handle heaviness or do ya think they need some weight removed on the pivot end specifically?

7. laughingbuddha

Noooo! that tanto has to stay :bwah:

All balisongs are something. Either biased at the back, neutral, blade heavy etc... if you get too much of one thing it's generally not good. But just because a Bali is neutral, blade heavy, handle heavy etc... doesn't mean it's a bad thing. For example, IMO Replicant is slightly blade heavy and the Alpha Beast is slightly arse heavy. But they're still two of the best flippers about.

If the FE is handle heavy, I don't mind... it can still be good with heavy handles.

8. ORONOYO

Your right.

But I didn't necessarily mean get rid of the tanto, just meant maybe leave some more steel at the tip maybe or where ever.
    And I wasn't really comparing prices, It seems pretty fairly priced. Just pointing out from what I've seen/heard most flippers wont be able to afford it. But that doesn't mean anything, I'm sure these will sell very quickly:thumbsup:

9. Eldon Talley

Eldon Talley knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I haven't pulled the trigger on the design yet, I'm waiting for input from a couple others. I can adjust the weight of the blade by the grind. And I may end up taking a couple grams out of the handles and and leaving a bit more on the blade. This version will still be 5.0-5.1 oz. as for the blade steel cpm 154 is as good of stainless as you can get, when you go from one steel to another you may give up one advantage for another.

Also there are a lot more high rollers out there than there will be talisong, I'm looking to do limited runs. And I'm a part time maker

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  10. jjhamilton

Much better flipper than the Dedicated Flipper.

11. jamex

jamex Organic Polygraph JDBA Official Member

dunno if I'd agree that 29's are rare. He cranks them out like a machine and I contacted him maybe a year ago and his list was open for anyone to commission. for shits and giggles I just checked an online vendor and there's several models available for sale this very moment.

not trying to be contrary but for a custom maker he really knocks out channel balis like he's a human production line. perhaps you are referring to titanium channel specifically, which I'm sure is not as common as stainless due to price but there's definitely lots out there.

his list might be closed now, i haven't tried to reach him in a while but I doubt that would mean a several year backlog either. they're definitely very attainable.

...top notch quality too. i have a few and consider them permanent residents in the collection.

12. jjhamilton

29s in general are not rare, channel Ti are...find me 3 for sale now if you can...apples to apples bro, leave the orange out of it

13. jamex

there's one on PVK right now. http://www.pvk.vegas/29-Knives-Custom-Balisong-p/29-5.htm

not trying to carry on an argument so I'll concede that there may not be 2 others out there right this very moment.

...I dont own a Ti 29, so I guess that speaks to a degree of rarity :ropeman::manganr:. When I get one, it'll be custom. There's a hefty upcharge to get Ti handles, so I'd want something crafted to my personal spec. I debate with myself whether its stupid to get inserts on Ti, since you're essentially throwing out material. May have to get 2, one skeletonized, one with burl inserts :devilwag:

14. jjhamilton

It's not an argument, it's a discussion! And this example is 7oz and over 1k....(and that's an ugly blade!)

15. laughingbuddha

I wouldn't get burl if you're planning on flipping it. Maybe something a bit more durable?

16. jamex

yeah its not to my tastes either, but its channel Ti available now. I was never commenting on the value of the Talisong, its definitely a great price in comparison to channel Ti offerings elsewhere. Its a fantastic balisong by all accounts from everything I've seen. :thumbsup:

...i was just having a sidebar about 29's not being especially rare, albeit the Ti handled builds could be tougher to find on secondary because people tend to keep them (i'd assume). I'd wager the Talisong run will be much more rare in comparison and for a better price.

enough derailment on my part, and apologies to Eldon. I'll be keeping an eye out for when the signup starts. :thumbsup:

more of a fondling piece or eye-candy than a flipper. I can't bring myself to flip non-production balis other than an occasional open\close trick.

17. Eldon Talley

Eldon Talley knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

18. Takeiteazy3

Takeiteazy3 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  19. L3b4

L3b4 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I don't know if it's just me, but your video doesn't seem to work. Maybe it is still processing. Sometimes it takes obscenely long to process.

20. Takeiteazy3

Takeiteazy3 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Strange works fine for me D: