1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Eldon Talley Talisong Flippers Edition

jjhamilton Jul 7, 2015

1. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

So here we are, Eldon has foucused his talent to bring us the knife you see here. A channel balisong with a smooth as glass bushing system built with the flipper at the forefront of design. So here we are!

Handles

I'm going to of course direct this at the flipping aspect of the knife, but one can't ignore the visual aspects of the knife. The texturing on the handles has a 3D effect in the light as though the texture moves while the shadows and light flicker between view. Feel of course is where a flipper will be "looking".

The texture feels great in hand, plenty of grip without being too much allowing plenty of "slip" during flipping. Got to say I'm surprised no one has tried this (maybe they have, I've never seen it) as Eldon nailed this.

The thickness of the handles is perfect, wide and present without being overwhelming in stature. Also plenty of radius....So let go ahead and spell this out plainly. The Dedicated Flipper was the most comfortable knife I've ever flipped, until now. I can flip this knife for hours without pause. Every other knife I have has a "rough spot" somewhere that I notice during flipping, but not here....Sorry Shawn, the DF hit second place here (but not far behind!)

Blade

Ok the blade doesn't exactly have anything to do with flipping, per say...but damn this grind is sweet. What you can't see in the pictures is the angle or line you can't even "see" in person...you feel it right where the grind begins to form the tanto. I honestly don't know how to explain this, truly...the blade is just something to behold...yeah it's not chalked up with deep hollows and swedged, but it has a class to it, a ghost grind. You can feel and catch a glimpse at the change of angle of the grind, yet the metal doesn't show the change...there is a "hump" you feel... **Loveless Grind Tanto** Just take my word for it, it's unique, amazing and beautiful. Oh and deadly sharp.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let us get down to brass tax on the flipping aspects of the knife. Firstly and what everyone wants to know, yes it is a top tier flipper. It flips great and I feel it's competition ready. It's doesn't have the lenght of some of our current top tier flippers (the deminsions match the original Talisongs). I would like more lenght on the knife, but honestly it's not a deal breaker.

The balance is of course handle heavy. I would like some weight removed from the blade side of the handles, maybe some holes drilled in the sides or slots near the top or blade side of the handles just to direct more of the weight to the ends of the handles instead of through out the handle...it's aimed at a mid weight flipper, and this would seal the deal on that.

Hey it's latchless! And I for one love latchless flippers that was designed to be....latchless.

Also something to mention, hopefully you can pick it up from the vid. The knife makes a really neat, addictive sound while flipping. I like the solid sound and it adds to the appeal of the knife overall.

I've more than enjoyed my time with the knife and I'm truly going to miss it. I've been more than excited to see Eldon do this for us and I feel like he nailed it. Yeah there are some things I'd prefer, but overall it's everything I wanted in a quality channel balisong, and it came with some bonus surprises too. **Now when I spoke with Eldon about reviewing the knife, honestly I felt overwhelmed. I can't speak for every flipper and I don't want to be the one word in what this knife was all about, thankfully some other flippers with far more ability than I have agreed to put thier thoughts to Eldons knife and I'm so excited to hear what they've got to say, thanks guys for taking the pressure off me and you guys look forward to seeing them post up!! And of course Thank You Eldon for using your abilities for us and allowing me the opportunity to be front seat as this dream became reality.

[YOUTUBE]nNGAZu0zfko[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  2. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Great review Bro, BadAss vid too!

3. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Thank you for a great review.

The handles are the same length as Eldon's other bali and the same as the Prodigy/Specter; ~5.25". BHQ listed the Specter as 5.30".

Looking forward to try this out myself.

4. jjhamilton

Your completely right, it is the same as the Specter....I didn't even notice that...I was comparing the lenght to the Rep. Thank you for correcting my misinformation. And I've physically compared them side by side so it's not a numbers game...it's the really real world!! Lol...thanks man!:thumbsup:

5. Dead-On

Dead-On Grateful Member JDBA Official Member

Whoa...! Thanks.

6. Takeiteazy3

Takeiteazy3 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nice review and flipping! Love the look of that tanto, Im very curious to see how those textured handles feel :madaddy:

1:54 Close call, almost no more baby JJHamiltons :bwah:

7. jjhamilton

No joke, my wife was doing video detail and after she stopped she remarked on how we would have explained that at the ER!

And I do apologize for the sloppy flipping, for the record it's not the knife, my excuse is as follows....the Specter cut my index about three inches in lenght and what feels like 4 inches deep a couple days ago..it very difficult to grip with it let alone flip....and I'm a mediocre flipper at best anyways so this is the result!

8. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

How handle heavy is it? Is it too handle heavy as to make some tricks difficult... or just noticeably handle heavy but it doesn't affect flipping.

I really like the un-skeletonized look of the handles. I think it would be a shame to drill holes /slots in the handles. If weight needs to be removed/altered. I wonder if this is possible to do by altering the guts of the handle channel. Maybe thinning out the wall of the channel so it has less weight along the length but still has the weight at the ends.

Also. This weighs 5oz?

9. jjhamilton

The only trick I had issue with, or better term had to adjust technique was helix aerials, the knife wanted to twist with the blade up if I didn't alter my plain on toss up. That could have been due to my injury, bad technique from the start, (or lack of comfort with a new knife, especially one that's like flipping a flaming razor of death it's fucking shave you.bald sharp!) but I kinda blame the run through weight of the handles as I tried right after the vid to do them as I was typing out the review. I had that issue, but not with a couple other knives I had as a base comparison.
    Like I've said before, I hate comparing a knife to another knife in reviews. I try to actively avoid it, but I do already flip others in comparison while forming a review to help pinpoint my thoughts on balance and weight distribution.
    And yes, I'm pretty sure Eldon told me the weight was 5oz

10. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Awesome review JJ!

Still trying to get the video to work for me (my computer is being a pain in the ass tonight).

But yooooo, seeing that muh ti in those back ends :devilzeek

11. Nirvana

Nirvana Formerly known as baliforge JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Modesty... "mediocre flipper"... I think not. You are much better than "mediocre".

Anyway though, great review, Talley has been making a big splash recently, I am glad to see more and more of his work. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Eldon Talley likes this.
  12. Eldon Talley

Eldon Talley knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

This knife is 5.11 oz

13. Jvamis

Jvamis International Devil Welcome Squad Leader JDBA Official Member

Review and video very interesting, thank you for sharing jjhamilton !!:jdwink2:

14. PlntDr

PlntDr Level: True Devil

:thumbsup:

15. MostHaggard

MostHaggard JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Great review JJ and beautiful work Eldon. I can't wait to have my chance at flipping one of these. The blue with the handle texture is perfect imo. :devilzeek

16. THEONEANDONLY

THEONEANDONLY Drunk on the Blood of Saints JDBA Official Member

Great review JJ, now send that to me!

Good to know, thanks for keeping us updated...

17. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Great review JJ!!

I'm loving the look of that Bali!!

18. Frickbot

Frickbot Does not compute

is that a knife on your couch? what knife?

jjhamilton likes this.
  19. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's about spot on IMO.

On IG you mentioned that you will be taking orders here as well as on USN (booo!). Will that be after the pass around... or sooner?

Mpsecare likes this.
  20. Eldon Talley

Eldon Talley knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'm planning on getting a forum on here soon, that's were I will take orders. Also my sub forum on the other sight. I think I will start taking orders in the next week or two at the latest. I just wanted to get everything ready to go.

Jsolo likes this.