1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

ELB balisong passaround

truepaganini Mar 29, 2014

1. truepaganini

truepaganini JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I hope it was worth the long wait!

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Woohoo! please post something about how it flips.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on the bearings, weight, balance and whether you have issues with the nipple while flipping.:thumbsup:

3. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

For sure, been taking notes ever since it's arrival!!:thumbsup:

4. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Got it! Planning a superhero team up

5. laughingbuddha

C'mon geezer! where's the review?

6. jjhamilton

Sorry bro, that week I was going out of town I was even out of state while we were pm'ing. So without anymore excuses!

Thank you so much Truepaganini, I enjoyed it.

Everyone knows how much I love the looks of this knife, if not I'm about to let you know! The handles are not flashy nor shiny, the blade is not either. But what makes this knifes looks, are the streamline and classy look. I could (and did) just sit and admire that blade!

Now this is where look and flipping collide. The "choil" is so far from the handles and so deep in the grind (depth is more the issue I think) that as I Chaplin'd the spine would catch or try to pop the blade off my finger. Could I do it, yes, but had to make a concious effort and adjust on each rotation. The "choil" also caused an issue on the blade side as the edge stops abruptly and adds an additional point to cut my fingers as I manipulated. My poor finger was sliced up before I realized I needed to keep my digits further away. Be it due to skill level, maybe, but I don't have to worry about this with any other knives I have to flip. All due to the zen pin design. I'd prefer the area to be less deep or closer to the handles like the 51. There was a lot of "bounce" due to the weight and zen pins.

This is the "Proto" according to the info I could find, so it is shorter that the "flipper" model. About the same as a 4x in length. Width is about the same as an AB, though it feels thicker (which I liked a lot). The balance felt closer to the blade or mid way. It just doesn't have the bottom o the handle weight I assumed it would considering this model has solid handles, no holes, no slots. Balance wasn't terrible but not ideal, had all the weight but centralized.

The bearing system, I'm sorta undecided...I like for my knives to glide and this of course did. During it's stay I oiled it once and even then it didn't need it! The blade seemed like it moved faster than the handles, maybe it was in my head..in any case it wasn't an issue.

Latch was neat, stayed out of the way for the most part but could not use it for any latch tricks as it doesn't swing. Also had to remember to "lock" it open.

All in all I enjoyed it, but unfortunately I could not recommend this model as a go to flipper, yes I can flip it and it did ok...but I would not want this to be my only Bali.
    But I would want it in my collection, and still plan on having one. I would love a chance to try out one of the "flipper" models.

GEEZER and Coconutfilipino like this.
  7. truepaganini

Nice review JJ! I too felt it was a bit mid/blade oriented, although my flipping skills are lackluster to say the least. I'd be very interested in checking out the flipper model someday, I have a feeling that it would solve the minor setbacks of the knife (from a flipping perspective).

jjhamilton likes this.
  8. laughingbuddha

Hmmm!

So, to make it more of a "flipper" what would you change?

If the handles are more weighted toward the pivot area then the fully slotted handles won't fix anything. I've been thinking that holes would probably remove less material than the slots. Maybe with bigger spacers as well?

Do you know if the spacers are ti or ss?

I was thinking of something like this.

[​IMG]

Did you have any issue with the nipple?

9. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

When I first got it, I handed it to Loosey and knifezoid. Yesterday I let OwlMan have a run at it and we did a quick (and bloody) video of HIM flipping it.

He was send it on to SilentJay.

As for the rest; I want to message Loosey and KZ, along with OwlMan to include in my notes.

:)

10. jjhamilton

No issue with the nipple at all, Spacers are SS (magnet tested)...I think the skeletonized model might take away the weight from the center/pivot area and transfer it to the handle ends...

11. laughingbuddha

I got a very brief run down from L about his thoughts on it :bwah:

12. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

nice knife, not at all my favorite flipper.

13. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

No.... not even a little bit. In fact, it does the exact opposite and makes it worse....

14. laughingbuddha

You've flipped the skeletonized ELB with the holes?

15. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

No, the slots, but the last thing it needed was having more weight taken form anywhere on the handles at all.

#BladeHeavyProblems

16. laughingbuddha

Well yeah... that's why I mentioned about the holes as it would take away less material than the huge slot.

That was what JJ was replying to.

17. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

I currently have this knife.

[​IMG]
    you all just stared at my crotch hahahah

First off I want to address the latch problem. Dunno if its from the blade, the zen pins, or what, but it does not latch closed or open.
    The T-bone part of the latch is also very off centered.
    Also there is a big scratch on the bite handle near the latch.

The blade is hitting the spacers. Both spacers. I noticed it when I was giving it a look over.

I do like the blade and grind very much. Not so much the zen nipple.

I do not like the way it flips. Don't like bearings as I have said before. It's very unbalanced. Feels like two bricks sliding around on ice. Very erratic.

I'm going to send it to SJ probably like tomorrow or something.

18. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Huh!

What?

I gots no knife...never had no knife...

jjhamilton likes this.
  19. truepaganini

Ummm that's not good... It did not have any scratches or spacer hitting issues when I sent it out. :ropeman:

Mikey66 likes this.
  20. Mikey66

Mikey66 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

First of all a hearty thank you to Gabe again for letting me participate. Well I can certainly flip but I'm not in the same league as SJ, or many of the folks here. I didn't do a lot of heavy flipping, so I did not notice the blade hitting the spacers. I did notice that one of the spacers is slightly protruding - anyone notice that? It's simply not flush with the handle. That did not, however effect my flipping, maybe it would somebody who was going really fast. The knife definitely had some slight scratches including around the latch but I'm talking so slight so as to even consider the knife LN. The latch marks were such that happen whenever you latch a bali and a really only visible with a magnifying glass. I know somebody coming into one and wanted to examine it closely to see if I wanted one or two from my collection and the answer is yes. This is one of Manu's earlier works I think. I got on his list, but I am two years out, so I'm hoping that by the time I am able to get mine custom that most of these issues will be worked out. I'm probably going to be buying one from a reseller in the next couple of weeks. This pass around helped me decide to try to get one now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    truepaganini likes this.