1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Dremel applications

Nomoremrknifeguy89 Aug 22, 2017

1. Nomoremrknifeguy89

Nomoremrknifeguy89 Little Member

Hello all! Yesterday I just got a Dremel so I could pick up a old hobby of glass engraving. My question is, in the world of knife making/modifying, what can this tool be used for?
    Will appreciate the input!

Jim L. likes this.
  2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fire and Blood JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Polishing anything (blade steel, Ti bolster etc)small cutting jobs to mod a scale etc. dremels are essential for any hobbyist. You can use it to engrave metal from what I understand but there are probably better dedicated tools out there for it.

Jim L. and Nomoremrknifeguy89 like this.
  3. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

drill, cut, polish, mill, grind.........

Nomoremrknifeguy89 likes this.
  4. Nomoremrknifeguy89

Nomoremrknifeguy89 Little Member

Thanks Benny, hey Jim any idea what attachment would be best for milling? And would it work on titanium?

Jim L. likes this.
  5. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

I've tried buying (Lowe's) Dremel looking milling tools but they have all sucked and break. Even on brass they do a poor job. If you use lead for what you do that might be ok. I've seen milling bits in wood catalogs that look much bigger.
    The Dremel is good at cutting, sanding and polishing small things, but they can also be a source of fustration for me because none of the shit works or fits or sets up easily. It's small and cheaply made. On a side note I have three one from Sears and I have interchanged all the tools.
    Best discovery this week is using the grinder blade and a stone wheel cutter to open up a guard for a knife. Check out my Halloween build off for a pic.
    The extension wand thing is kinda cool.

6. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Sorry, the only "milling" I've done is free hand. That may not be true milling.