1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Bite Build Off BaliFatigue

RoyalM Jan 5, 2014

1. ilovekittens

ilovekittens Sailing the seas of cheese Knife Maker or Craftsman

Looking good. :thumbsup: ILK

2. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

Copy machine! GENIUS! Looking good!

3. BaliFatigue

BaliFatigue Enormous member

starting blade work

Today I removed the cnc marks from the spine and tang and crowned the spine a bit (very lightly). I wanted it to look very subtle and only crowned up to where the swedge started. I started on a 120 and smoothed it out with a 220. spine 7.jpg

spine 3.jpg

spine 2.jpg

spine 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  4. BaliFatigue

I also ground down the shank (ears) a bit and rounded off the point of the tang, also with 120 then 220, I might decide to take them down more or completely off but I figured this was a good start, I'll go back and either even them out or take more off later.

These pics are from before the 220 grit so the spine still looks rougher than the previous pictures.

I need to figure out how to make a nice etching stencil, I want it to come out clean. Anyone have experience with that? I would love to pick someone's brain for a minute.

Thanks for reading a tang.jpg

spine 1.jpg

5. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Looks like you are getting the hang of things with the grinder. Nice work. :thumbsup:

BaliFatigue likes this.
  6. BaliFatigue

Thanks! I am trying to take my time, be patient and go the safe route since I lack experience. I knew this would be fun but I am loving every minute of it!

blevinsknives likes this.
  7. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

:thumbsup:

Not sure about the stencil - you have access to a laser cutter?

I think I saw a method somewhere that involved printing on a transparency then shining a UV light to make a negative. Some folks use sunlight to develop - no experience though just Google/holiday inn stay knowledge.

8. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I saw this a while back. It shows how to etch a blade using just simple stuff.

[yt]kROUeOtuXmE[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROUeOtuXmE

9. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

For a first timer you're doing way better than I probably could. :thumbsup::devilcorn:

10. worthless

worthless worthless? Nah!

Looking good! Now if only it would stop raining so you can finish.

11. BaliFatigue

the JD won't let me upload pictures

Edit: had to make a photobucket and link from there

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  12. BaliFatigue

I Shaped the blade. I wanted a trainer so I rounded off the tip and edge, the spine is crowned all the way to the tip. I went for a very muted look for the overall grind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shaped the latch by grinding the domes edge down and taking the sides off and removed just the slightest bit from the back, locks up nice and tight but not as tight as before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Coconutfilipino

Coconutfilipino JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Try to go in and "edit" your photo...maybe crop it a hair. (You don't have to change much of anything just enough TO register a change.) then----> save your edited version.

Sometimes I have this problem and if I resave it by 'editing' it, then for whatever reason it then is able to upload.

Worth a try anyways...

BaliFatigue likes this.
  14. BaliFatigue

I decided to shine up the blade a bit with 600 and 1200 grit by hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

image.jpg

15. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Nice work with the larch I've been thinking about doing the same.

BaliFatigue likes this.
  16. Coconutfilipino

Barring that...if hat doesn't work, then maybe you can email then to me, and I can post for you.

Barring that if THAT fails--then someone with some ACTUAL comp skills might need to step in.-lol-

Let me know...

17. Coconutfilipino

Shit-if you keep thinking that ryanol, then you can have MY latch, cause your latch is my fave of the whole build off.

I do like how this latch takes away some of the 'presence' of the latch... It almost makes it non/existent visually. Very minimalist, I like he cleanliness of it.

18. BaliFatigue

instead of an anno job I decided to darken the titanium with OxiClean and boiling water and it worked GREAT!! I got the idea from this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1019026-Darken-titanium-with-Oxi-Clean

I started by boiling a pot of water and pouring a full scoop of OxiClean into a pyrex dish and mixing it up to dissolve the OxiClean and then dropped the handle slabs in face up

[​IMG]

30 minutes soak time and repeated the process once and they came out pretty good!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BaliFatigue

in the end I think it looked pretty damn good for my first knife!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and just like that it is finished! thanks for all the support and thanks for coming along with me on this ride. I have had a ton of fun making my first knife and I can say without a doubt this is going to be a great hobby! I spent a lot of time between phases planning and debating different options, I learned a lot of the do's and don'ts in this little trial by fire.

20. BaliFatigue

final pictures!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for my Voting pic

[​IMG]