1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Bite Build Off BaliFatigue

RoyalM Jan 5, 2014

1. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

Here's your thread, best of luck and don't let caution or lack of skills and tools get in the way of having a bash. We Devils like an underdog.

creich420 likes this.
  2. BaliFatigue

BaliFatigue Enormous member

First off I would like to say thank you all for the encouragement and thanks to Tmik and the USAknifemaker crew, Glenn, RoyalM and everyone else involved

DISCLAIMER: This is my first knife build ever and my first time using machines since wood shop in 7th grade haha. This will be a learning experience for me so don't expect too much haha.

If I can do it, you can do it! So pick one up and join the fun with us

I have wanted to try something like this for a while so I justified buying a grinder and a drill press.

What I'll be using:

USAknifemaker.com DB1 balisong kit
    Craftsman 2x42 belt grinder
    Craftsman 10" drill press
    3/32, 1/8, 11/64, 7/32, 1/4 Cobalt drill bits
    5/8 countersink (just the tip:jdwink2:)
    Drill press vise
    razor blade
    spring loaded center punch
    6" ruler
    Knifedogs pivot lap
    General electronic caliper
    Klingspor belts in 120, 220, 400, 600, 800
    Rhyno sandpaper in 220, 400, 600 and 1200 grit
    An Mtech twist (WTF? I'll explain)
    And I am hoping to find some more blade steel to practice grinding.

For Anodizing:
    Tupperware
    Aluminum foil
    Wire and aligator clips
    Baking soda and water

I am starting with the Glenntech twist for the first time ever using a belt grinder to get used to the grinder, drill press and 440c blade steel, I crowned the spine a bit, removed the ears/shank and reprofiled a couple times (very badly) just to get a feel for the grinder and 440c. When I find/order a DP vise I will test out the drill press, the twist has SS handles (I think) so it will not be nearly the same as Ti but it will give me a vague idea what I am doing.

That is it so far, pics later. The JD server hates my iPhone and won't let me upload pictures.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
  3. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Really nice to see someone new get into knife making. I was hoping to see that with these kits. I don't want to presume you are going to use the carbide bits to drill the titanium but just in case, consider not using them in Ti. Carbide cuts hard material really well but hates to get bent or grabbed and they will break off in the titanium with almost no effort. Use good cobalt, often called M4 drills in titanium with lots of cutting oil to keep the heat down. Sorry if I you already knew that or hadn't planned on using the carbide drills for the Ti. Just trying to save you some stress...

4. BaliFatigue

Cobalt, gotcha thanks

5. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

I like the way this thread has started. Keep it going guys.

A big part of what is great about the Build Offs is often overlooked. Yes, it's always good to see a talented maker build something we'd all like to have. However, equally good is watching someone with similar or less experience and skill than ourselves set forth and try to make something. To paraphrase:

".............who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

6. BaliFatigue

I still can't upload pictures I took with my iPhone (other pictures upload fine) will get some up later on PC.

7. BaliFatigue

I started out working on my hole layout, I was lazy so I threw the handles in the copy machine and made some copies. I made a center line and went from there using a 6" ruler.
    I'm really bad at this stuff, I'm the guy who can't draw a straight line or a perfect circle so I got tired and took a break.

DB5.jpg

Later I decided to do some ano testing, this is my first time trying anodizing. I tried diet coke but it did not work out great, switched to baking soda and water and was very happy, got a nice brown with 2 9v, 3 9v gave a nice purple until I put the handle back in and got the dark blue you see. I kept on adding up to about 8 9v and saw a nice array of colors to chose from.

Supplies: Tupperware, baking soda and water, 2-8 9v batteries, aluminum foil, wire, aligator clips.

DB3.jpg

the Uglyness at the bottom of the blue handle was from the diet coke (I am sure I did something wrong) so I switched to baking soda and water

DB4.jpg

I tried some other hole patterns until I found one I liked and scribed with a razor, later I picked up a scribing tool for next time I build.

DB14.jpg

DB6.jpg

Like I said I am really bad at this stuff so I scribed the center cross points of all 4 with a razor blade and picked the best one for my pilot hole template and punched them with a spring loaded center punch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
  8. BaliFatigue

DB1.jpg

I don't use the tools in there don't worry! I get them out when it's time to play.

Today it was time to drill my pilot holes, I went with a 3/32 for these, this is my 2nd time using the drill press.

DB7.jpg

DB9.jpg

DB11.jpg

DB13.jpg

9. BaliFatigue

For my final holes I went with 11/64, 7/32, 1/4 and used a 5/8 countersink to chamfer. they may not be works of art but I am very happy with these as my first time using a drill press and first time working with Ti.
    BACK.jpg

DB16.jpg

tomorrow I tackle the handles with the grinder and mess those up trying to round them off.

I am very pleased with the job I did so far on my first knife. next time I will take more time to get things right but it was a great learning experience.

stay tuned for more WIP tomorrow.
    thanks for reading DB17.jpg

DB18.jpg

DB19.jpg

10. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That is an awesome start. Looks great so far.

I am still waiting for some of my tools to arrive.

Good luck.

11. Cole

Cole Huge member

Lookin' good so far! I really like the multi-anoed, layered look you've got going on.

Can't wait until the finished product!

12. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Looking good!!

13. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

excellent!

really nice to see the experimenting along the way...

14. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

holy crap! looks sick!

15. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

And you were saying you couldn't do it :jdwink2:

Looks great so far!

16. BaliFatigue

Thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it :thankyou3: devils & bali bros rock :wolfgang::michaelangelo::rafael::leonardo::donatello::snoopy3::beavis:

did some more anno testing last night, I really like that purple and got an even darker blue!
    photo.jpg

I was going to start grinding today but I am going to get a new respirator and I still need to order some new belts so the build is on hold for now but it will give me time to finish reading a book I got on knifemaking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  17. BaliFatigue

Belts should be here tomorrow so I will finally be able to finish fucking up the handles.

Ceramic glass platen liners are back in stock at USAknifemaker.com so I ordered one and a bali blade blank to practice on since I am still worried about fucking up the blade, the lines are already so nice. Feeling pretty in over my head right now haha. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos for tips and methods but watching and doing are (obviously) 2 TOTALLY different things

Thanks for reading, more updates if I get some work in tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  18. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You are doing great so far, and especially for someone who has never done this kind of thing. You will do just fine grinding, just remember light pressure. You can always take more off, but you can't put it back on. Have faith in yourself because everyone here has faith in you. :thumbsup:

19. BaliFatigue

belts came in from http://trugrit.com yesterday, I decided to go with Trugrit since they are on the west cost (I'm impatient)

yesterday I rounded the handles a bit, started at 120 to limit my ability to fuck them up, done freehand, no jigs. saw a picture where it looked like someone left their nails a little long for grinding and I am glad I did the same, if you are looking at a specific area sometimes your other hand gets close and the nail lets you no to stop, I ended up with a couple notches in my nails by the end of the day haha (better the nail than the finger though!)

photo 5.jpg

still looking rough but this was just the initial cutting and burr removal (back of holes)

photo 3.jpg

jumped up to 400 grit to go nice and slow for some corrections (you can see where I marked some areas that needed the most touch up), I thought it went much better on the slack part of the belt for rounding smoothly, still need to finish removing the anno (probably a nice high grit to limit fucking up my rounded edges) and very slightly round edges near the pivot area and then give them a final finish I will probably drop back down in grit for a more grippy finish and do it by hand/block

photo 3 (1).jpg

photo 2 (1).jpg

this kit makes for a GREAT learning experience, I have loved every minute of my first kinfe so far.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  20. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Awesome work. Looking forward to see you finish it.