1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone really like BM model 6x?

DrZero May 12, 2019

1. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

I'm just saying the money is in folders. Look at brs on bhq. They got folders for days.

2. Shawnjohn999999

I'm gonna get the 87 out of the closet and flip that mofugger.

3. Shawnjohn999999

But wait they gave us the 51. An affordable sweet flipper always in stock. That has to account for something.

4. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

True.

***BRS makes folders?!?!

BennytheBlade likes this.
  5. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Little Member

They don’t. If BM cared they’d have redid the 42 period. Instead they crank out steel boat anchor 62s for BRS AB prices.

Which makes sense because BM is about moving weight. They’re after the volume dollars and give not one solitary damn about the Bali community. Why cater to the community that built them when they’re selling $400 Infidel OTFs faster then they can make em

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  6. AnthonyTheAbyss

This debate already happened long ago on this forum with people who had a lot more knowledge than you and I on this matter.

You are making some of the same statements as some of the people back then. Some examples...

Benchmade doesn't care about the balisong community:
    This is a blatantly false statement. The people there are knife people. It's their livelihood. They are in tuned with the community and are more balisong enthusiasts than the typical BRS fanboy.

Benchmade should just bring back the BM4x series:
    Again, not that simple. Hit up TheGoodEdge. He'll educate you.

The balisong community built them:
    Like most people in the balisong community, you over estimate this niche's impact on their corporate portfolio.

Don't be a typical Reddit user who vents about things you don't understand. It's easy to throw out comments like "BM doesn't care" without knowing the facts.

***This isn't a personal attack on you...just need to be more informed

7. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

this post should be copy and paste every other post in this thread .....maybe then those flippers who think they are the only ones who use ...excuse me... sort of use balisongs, understand they don`t know what they are talking about
    :dedhorse:

on a side note Le Assis went bankrupt couple times (I think) building just just balisongs
    if it wasn`t for him and BM there would be no balisongs (as we know them) or balisong community ,there
    was a time you`d call a custom knife maker to ask for a balisong and they would hung up on you...that`s how popular balisongs were....
    Parting shot
    If you want to thank someone for the existence of the "balisong community"
    thank Benchmade...

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  8. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

AND KickAss!

ScottG, apdallaround and Linos like this.
  9. Linos

yeah....I forgot about that....

ScottG and crogers like this.
  10. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

If it wasn't for that movie, 95% of the people would have NO idea what a BM42 even was!

11. Baliflipper

Baliflipper Little Member

What I heard was that part of the reason they discontinued them was due to the rising cost of titanium, does anyone know if thats why?

12. Linos

..titanium used to be an option for the custom shop for an additional $1000....so no it`s not correct...
    It`s the cost of making the new casting molds for the handless...the old ones were going to shit (that`s why a lot of the later handles were full of imperfections)...the small balisong market can not support the investment

13. AnthonyTheAbyss

Hallelujah!!! Somebody who actually knows facts!

***But you were around when this debate came up years ago so I can't give you credit for living through it

Linos likes this.
  14. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Reading this thread feels like ground hog day.

Linos likes this.
  15. DrZero

DrZero Little member

Titanium prices have gone up, and down and back up over the last 20 years or so. Currently at about $25 a lb. So, even assuming massive waste (ie needing a whole pound to get two 3 oz handles out of) it's not a big part of the cost of the knife. It's not like gold or even silver.

It's more the fabrication costs that are the issue.

The 42 was molded, I believe. You can read about what's involved here.

http://fs-precision.com/articles/casting-process/cast-titanium/

Lots of knife makers use titanium, I think almost all of them machine it, because of the costs of molding. For instance 29 Knives which have titanium handles are machined from solid ti, not precast.

Benchmade is obviously good at machining (being knifemakers and all) but the from my limited time doing simple machining even I know that machining a single replica of a Mod 42 handle would be a nighmare of complexity.

So add the fact that they do a nice job on the mod 42 to my list of nice things about that knife.

Did any of you guys who got the limited edition channel-construction Alpha Beast notice if it was machined from a solid block or cast? How many of those did they make, anyway?

16. DrZero

DrZero Little member

And, apparently Benchmade is quite able to make milled titanium handled balisongs in the current year.

It's just that their idea about what they should look like is quite different from their ideas of 20 years ago, when they first designed the mod 42.

I know this was a limited edition of sorts, so maybe the method they used doesn't scale past a few hundred knives.

They are backordered everywhere, and priced at $515 and up.

I hope they make some other blade shapes soon, I just can't manage any love for the straight razor, and I'd like to try out the knife. If they put the weehawk on there then we'd have something that was at least echoing the 42 in a way the straight razor design just can not.

But it's still not a 42.

A lot of photographers think the Leica M3 is the greatest mechanical 35mm camera ever made. They made them from 1954 to 1967. Why don't they just build new ones? Price, either to make or retail, isn't an issue.

It has more to do with designers moving on, product teams wanting to do something new.

Still, it's strange that one can buy an almost pefect replica of John M. Browning's 1911 .45 ACP pistol, unchanged from his original deisgn, but merely 20 years after it's launch the BM 82 is not available, and likely never to be produced again.

[​IMG]

Who is leading now? Who is following?

[​IMG]

RoninFlipper likes this.
  17. RoninFlipper

I’m calling BS here. How is it Benchmade can make money on the 87 - but not a re-issued 42 which is constructed the same way?

If BM cares so much about the flipping communuty (this goes to anyone ) - why the boat anchor handles for the BM62? I’d be better off doing chaplains with my 10mm Colt . Even the unloved BRS Barebones flips better.

18. DrZero

DrZero Little member

42 were cast handles, thus all those holes were only created once for the mold then just pour in hot metal.

The 87 is machined. Which means you start with a block of metal and cut everything away until you have piece you want.

Now look at the designs: The 87 has 20 skeleton holes per complete knife. The 42 has 72 skeleton holes per knife. (The Alpha Beast has 4 skeleton holes per knife, or 20 if you count the grip strips, so approximately as difficult as the 87).

Even if you build specialized machines to cut multiple holes at once that's a lot of operations (time & $$) that have to go exactly perfect to get a good handle.

Bead blasting is a lot cheaper than polishing, which is done by hand. In the year 2000 the minimum wage in Oregon was $6.50. Today it is $12.50. It's a lot more expensive to pay entry-level manufacturing people to polish individual knives today than even 10 years ago, so bead-blasting is the new finish of choice.

My highest polish Benchmade is one of the cheaper zinc handled knives of the 1990s. It's positively blingy, back then it was a cheap way to make a cheap knife look better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The degree of polish of something is a hard thing to photograph -- but I tried.

On the right: the cheapest knife, a made in USA budget Benchmade circa 1990's (?? I'm guessing), has the logo and made in USA on the blade. Handles are cast aluminum or zinc or some cheap alloy. (Anyone know the model number?) Bought new by mail order a back in the day.

Despite the cheezy construction it's lasted for 25 years and been used a quite a bit. It's super loose, so it flops around like mad, but I'm convinced it looks the most impressive to naive viewers, due to the bling factor.

Alone among the three knives (and really of my whole collection) only the one on the right could be described as a "mirror finish", as hopefully you can sorta see from these pix.

19. RoninFlipper

Seems like the cast BM42s are holding up just fine.

Machined channel handles aren’t a bad thing, but I’d much rather have a cast Titanium BM42 at $380 then a stainless steel anvil. Considering BRS - a company with far fewer resources of scale then BM - can make ABs for <$500 , im sure BM could bring back the 42 for that price or lower. There’s definitely a market for the product. The only practical reason they don’t , is because they’d rather make ten Infidels instead. BMs about volume and money, which is why BRS is the Bali leader

20. Shawnjohn999999

Too many wor
    Wait. You just wanted to get some pics of your knives? You could of just posted them brother.

DrZero likes this.