1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone really like BM model 6x?

DrZero May 12, 2019

1. DrZero

DrZero Little member

In thinking about my small collection of Benchmade brand balisongs I realized that the model 62 was my least favorite, and also the most expensive.

Obviously the model 42 has a huge following to this day, and has been considered the benchmark that other production balisongs are always compared to, including the 62.

Anything before 2000 is a collector's item at this point, and all those (Pacific Cutlery, Bali-Song Inc. etc.) fetch a premium price and are loved by collectors.

The Morpho model 51 has a large following. A lot of people prefer it for an EDC because of the light weight and pocket clip. It's also liked by flippers, as the best current Benchmade production knife for flipping.

My 6x series has a lot of good qualities: the fit an finish are great, the weekhawk blade shape is well executed, the size is nice, their are a number of Benchmade blade shapes available.

But then there is the weaknesses: few flippers like it, most finding it too heavy and the balance an handle size not as good as either the old standby the 42. The latches are not spring loaded like on later 42's. While I want to like the the knife, somehow the total doesn't equal the sum of the parts for me.

Is anyone really crazy about the 62 (or siblings?) or am I right in thinking it was a bit of a miss for Benchmade?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    RoninFlipper likes this.
  2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

You were doing so well.. until you said this lol.

That's so far off the mark you gotta be trolling. You're telling me that people would rather flip a BM51 than any production Hom or BRS? (rhetorical question, the answers no).

Also. The BM62 is an excellent knife for flipping. Just gotta get rid of those ss turd handles and rehandle with Flytanium or Kuski.

RoninFlipper and DrZero like this.
  3. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

No he is right. The 51 is great and the 6 is heavy.

4. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

Even with ti handles i’ve never been a fan of the 6x. There was just something about it, three times. 1 fly62 and 2 fly63s sold them all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DrZero

DrZero Little member

6. DrZero

DrZero Little member

Yes, I meant to say "best of the current production Benchmade balisongs". I'm going to correct it now, you are right to point this out. And yeah, I think the BRS's are above the 51 in most people's view for flipping.

7. Shawnjohn999999

Nice pics

apdallaround likes this.
  8. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

It's a great knife. Just the wrong price point. For $380 there are better (and cheaper) options to choose from.

***Hope they come out with a Gold Class 6x

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I had the top two and regret selling them.. especially the flyti-rep.

apdallaround likes this.
  10. apdallaround

For me it was the tuning, they were touchy.
    I could never get them to a point I was happy with.

The flyti-rep was taking it back to the fnf days! I guess now people use IG instead.

11. Baliflipper

Baliflipper Little Member

Never tried the fly ti handles, however in my opinion the 62 has nothing on the 42. The weight on the 62 makes it harder to manipulate, and the latch not being a spring latch is stupid.

They should just bring back the 42

12. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Channel Ti Guy JDBA Official Member

I think it's silly that they took the route of machining it and yet going with sandwich construction, ontop of going with steel. If they were just laser or waterjet cut slabs with a few seconds on the belt grinder to round them out they could have cost cuts significantly and made it a much more reasonably priced product. It's great that they wanted to improve from casting to milling, but it's one step forward, two steps back.

If it was sandwich with milled/cast titatium handles, or channel with milled/cast steel handles, I would have liked it plenty enough to buy a few even at a higher price. But the combination of steel, sandwich, and added milling costs just makes no sense to me.

Burnt Reynolds and apdallaround like this.
  13. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Little Member

The stock 62 is a POS at any cost. It is Benchmades cash grab, as they’re done with the Bali game. Rehandled it’s a proper Balisong.

Depends. For BM it’s a hit; combine cheap, scrap depleted uranium & steel handles + huge price equals good profit. For flippers it’s a shit deal

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Baliflipper likes this.
  14. Baliflipper

Baliflipper Little Member

I agree, its nothing like the 42

15. Shawnjohn999999

Somebody was doing a 250. I couldn't pull the trigger.

16. apdallaround

One step forward, two steps back?

But wait, they gave us that sweet 87!
    (said nobody) :P

17. AnthonyTheAbyss

Of course it has nothing on the 42. Nobody in their right mind would even put them in the same category. That's not even a comparison.

And the comment "they should just bring back the 42" is one that comes up a lot. It's not that simple. There are hurdles that makes it not possible.

***That dream is long dead

Baliflipper and Shawnjohn999999 like this.
  18. Shawnjohn999999

The 87 is well made. It's good. I need more time. I like my 51 more but I see the potential. It's pretty smooth but unwieldy.

19. Shawnjohn999999

They have long money. They could easily do it. They dont see the money in it.

20. AnthonyTheAbyss

So you're saying they're not doing it because they can't make money in it. Doesn't that qualify as a hurdle?

You know...business...not making money...concept of a business...profit...no profit is bad...not doing something that loses money...shareholders...econ 101.

So that's the only reason they aren't bringing back the 42? Those money hungry bastards!!!

***They obviously don't care about the balisong community