1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Here Actually Do Day Long Movie Marathons ?

22MEANTXGUNS22 Aug 12, 2013

1. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

I wanted to see about starting a thread for those who actually do like, entire movie series or marathons in one sitting. Just get enough food and booze for a day and just slay like an entire box set or series in one shot with ten minute breaks in between each movie. My friend and I have been doing it for a long time, often watching entire series that can last from eight to twelve hours with just ten minute breaks in between each movie. It seems people patient enough to do this are a rare breed but the last I checked there are a lot of hardcore cinema connoisseurs out there so I know we can't be the only two who do this. Well if anyone else does it regularly or has done it feel free to chip in. Who knows, maybe this thread will pick up some steam and become like, "The Official Movie Marathon Thread" for those who are either thinking of doing a particular series or have done a particular series and wanna share it.

I was compelled to do this thread since my friend and I have discussed possibly slaying the "Friday the 13th" series on well, the next Friday the 13th, which is next month. As kids they used to show parts one through eight on TNT I think but we'd always fall asleep about halfway through. Already did the math, it's eleven movies at just under seventeen hours. If we did it that would essentially be our longest marathon completed ever. We got about three and a half weeks to make our decision, to be honest I think they get kind of silly towards the end but he loves campy horror so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

I used to ,one day I watched the trilogy long version uncut of lord of the rings, never ever again i woke up fucking a elf, I also when I was younger i watched f/x rocky one to five movies.Yes I',m a movie buff. One time I was sick and I watched in two days the whole sopranos to almost the last chapter.

3. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

Movie and TV show marathons. Often.

4. Ichop

Ichop Little member

I'll do TV marathons with Netflix every once in awhile, but I usually can't stand more than 6-8 hours at a time...

I've learned to avoid doing these marathons with food though... Fritos bags just start magically disappearing..

5. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

I try to do the first 2 Halloweens on Halloween every year. I was going to do a few of the F.13ths last week when it rained, but (after starting w/pt. II), never made it to pt. III. I guess Jason was scarier when I was younger! They're still on the list though... I find it hard to do movie marathons in the summer, it's more of a Oct-Apr pastime for us northerners. Esp with the weather here this summer being fucking San Diegan. I like horror too. Here's some movie/series marathons for the list, by genre, for series I tried to list only what's available on DVD at this point:

Star Wars Episodes III-VI (9 hrs or so)...yes I left out Eps I & II on purpose
    Aliens I-III (7 hrs or so)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre I-III (6 hrs or so)
    Friday The 13th I-X (15 hours)
    Nightmare on Elm Street I-VI (9 hrs) *BONUS*: add in the New Nightmare & Freddy vs. Jason!
    Halloween I-II (5 hrs) or go I, II, IV-VI and then do R.Zombie's remakes for a crazy 12 hrs!
    Scream I-IV (7-8 hrs)
    Godfather I-II (6 hrs)
    The Walking Dead I & II (7, 14 hrs each)
    How I Met Your Mother I-IX (7 hrs per season)
    The Office I-IX (4-8 hrs per season) USA version
    Sopranos I-VI (13 hrs per season)
    Sons of Anarchy I-V (12 hrs per season) >>>I wanted to hate this so bad, but I fucking loved it. Damn.
    Simpsons I-? ...what are they on, 20+ season? IDK, but I loved seasons 3-8 but stopped around 12

HOLIDAY MOVIE MARATHON (no it's not too early for the C-Word:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Elf, & Bad Santa
    (sorry Christmas Story, USA-network's all-day marathons ruined you [for me], forever)
    *BONUS*: need a Xmas chick flick in there too? add The Family Stone.

6. BaByGoTtHeRuNz

BaByGoTtHeRuNz Enormous member

Movie marathons? All the time:manganr:

The problem is finding stuff I haven't seen.

I grew up next to a movie rental place, so after school and on weekends my best friend and I would go rent 4 or 5 movies and go watch them in his basement. His Mom worked at the store so we got to rent them for free, which was pretty kick ass.

7. 22MEANTXGUNS22

Nice, my friend and I have this thing going where some times we will purposely choose box sets or series that are kind of difficult to get thru in their entirety then the rest of our friends will place bets on who will cave first. There are a couple of series that if watched in one sitting will pretty much make you want to shoot yourself in the face but amongst the ones we actually love :

The Watchmen Ultimate Cut
    Evil Dead
    Friday
    Lord Of The Rings
    Rush Hour
    Blade
    Ocean's Eleven
    The Dark Knight
    Underworld
    Ninja Turtles
    Indiana Jones
    The Omen
    Rambo
    Die Hard
    Dirty Harry
    All the Jay & Silent Bob Movies
    Star Wars

8. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness. Might as well throw in the remake as well. :evilmonster:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
    AradOnRadar likes this.
  9. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

guilty as charged. usually with a show or set of movies someone told me to watch. I told you this before in an older thread, but Godfather series...DO IT! 1 & 2 for sure.

10. smrst45

smrst45 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My latest marathons were Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

11. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I did the Alien movies once with a friend when we were kids. Never will forget it. Watched a shitpot of movies before I was married. Now, with three kids ( and the wife ) I can't get through a Nickle want ad in the paper. Guess I'm in the wrong thread:ross:

12. VampyreWolf

VampyreWolf Prime minister of coffee Brigade Member

I'll usually polish off a TV season in 2 days.

Since being downsized I've had time to kill, and that usually meant 5-6 discs in a row. Be surprised what you can get done in 20hrs a day with nothing to do.

13. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Every time I try, I find myself doing chores and shit that need to be done instead. If I am lucky I get most of one day off a week. If I am not so lucky, it is more like one day a month. :bwah:

14. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

The Wire..... one after another.
    Dexter
    Mad Men
    SOA
    TWD

15. 22MEANTXGUNS22

Friend and his wife proposed doing the Police Academy box set, needless to say that's a torture fest and a half ! Personally I can't stand low brow humor in large doses but as I mentioned, he loves picking series that are guaranteed to make you want to self terminate. It's officially a bet, I said I would do it, if I don't make it all the way through I have to buy him a new firearm of his choosing, but if I made it all the way to the end, his wife has to do all the "Child's Play's" with us (she's totally freaked out by Chucky). Feel free to place your bets on that one guys ! :bwah:

16. BaByGoTtHeRuNz

BaByGoTtHeRuNz Enormous member

The first two police academy movies aren't so bad, but the rest...

just hope your buddy doesn't want a Barret .50 cal:bwah:

17. VampyreWolf

The question is "in what state do you have to finish the series?" I've watched a number of movies that rate high on the beer scale. As long as you don't have to be conscious and coherent at the end, you've got it made.

18. 22MEANTXGUNS22

HA ! no, he wants some Remington bold action. I know that as a kid I lost interest after the main guy stopped being in them. I already checked, they're all nice and short movies, none of them being longer than an hour and a half, I figure I do a beer a movie, by the time we get to part five I should be too hammered to care, lol. Oh, and to answer Vampyrewolf's question, yes you are permitted to drink, but one of the rules he makes with these marathons is that you not fall asleep, so you kind of have to watch your alcohol intake so you get just buzzed enough but not so wasted you fall asleep.

19. VampyreWolf

... so alternating beer with coffee, gives 30min per beer... 520min of movie (just for 1-6), 9hrs of movie, 18 beer and 18 coffee... very workable...

20. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

That is WAY too much drinking

coffee.