1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use separate belts for wood, metal and g10?

Beer Bandit Jul 5, 2016

1. Beer Bandit

Beer Bandit Average member

Im just wondering if it would be wise to stick to certain materials for each belt I have. Will you guys grind any material on a certain 120 grit belt, for instance? Or do you like to keep one 120 belt for every material that you have that you sand? This question makes perfect sense in my head, but it looks like it might be hard to follow. Im pretty much talking about material cross contamination. Not quite in a contamination aspect, but more along the lines of how different materials will affect the belts.

2. Digs FnK

Digs FnK Dig it, man Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'm not concerned at all about material contamination to dedicate belts to a certain material. But, there has been times when I needed to use a fresh belt or clean a partially used belt before working on a white G10 or certain woods. Scrap Kydex is what I use to clean my belt since I always have some.

This post can lead into discussing the purpose of open or closed coat belts. But I don't think that's what youre asking.

3. Beer Bandit

I was referring to how different materials seem to "gunk" up the belts in different manners. Im still waiting on my other belts that got shipped on the same day as my grinder, and Im already noticing that my belt is working a lot slower than when i first started. Im aware that the products that HF sells are pretty much junk. But it seems like when I sanded wood, it kind of clogged up the grit. As for the opened and closed coat belts, Im all ears. If youve got anything you could ramble on for days about, and I could learn from it, Id be way more than happy to listen. Ive kind of got this ocd thing with learning. Especially when it comes to art and building things, which often are one in the same. You would use a clean belt, or clean a belt when using certain woods or white g10 so you dont dirty up the color? I would also think that cleaning belts would help restore some efficiency as well, correct? Ill have to look into methods for cleaning belts, since I dont have kydex or plan on buying any. Once again, Digs, thank you very much for your time. Its definitely nice to have people actually want to help out instead of jumping on the "lets jump the new guy" bandwagon, haha. Not sure if youve seen my first few posts, but they didnt go over too well. Wasnt sure long that whole treatment was going to play out, but im glad its over for now

4. Digs FnK

Digs FnK Dig it, man Knife Maker or Craftsman

5. Beer Bandit

That was indeed a very informative article. Thank you for sharing.

6. Batshitloco

Batshitloco knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I absolutely use different belts for those yes. The best, most expensive belts (like blaze ceramics) are first for bevels or something tough like Ti frames. When those eventually get to the point where its no good for bevels then they get bumped down to odds and dods like random profiling tasks... or handles.. Its pretty easy to tell when they are too dull for handles as you'll start to burn more than you cut.
    Other than that I don't want to be having g10 dust flying around when I'm cutting a bevel or working a profile so they are separate.
    In fact I have to divide the belts between :
    grit
    weight j-y
    width
    task
    newish
    oldish

takes a shitload of pegs... and no its never that perfect or organized.