1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Beat Your Beast?

MTXCraze Jan 7, 2014

1. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I called and they said it went out for delivery and that's when I got the text from my wife thanx guys ill post some pictures when I get home..

2. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

[​IMG]

Bill T likes this.
  3. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yes I did thank you its home waiting on me.

4. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

:facepalm:

5. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

While I do carry Balis at times, I do not carry one everyday. I work for a hospital so we have other implements we are expected to use if we need to cut something. When I am not at work I carry a knife, but if truth be told, it's usually a folder of some sort. Although I do carry my 51 quite a bit due to the clip, and believe it or not I carry the MC Wharnie a bit as well due to the clip.

I do not use a knife for work. If I am doing things in the kitchen, I use the kitchen knives- have a couple sweet ones too.:jdwink2: My point is that I don't have to do a whole lot of "random" cutting tasks daily, when I carry a knife it's an "in case I need one" deal, not that I expect to use it heavily. If I was camping or hunting, I usually have a fixed blade...I try to pick the knife that may fit the job I may encounter.

I got intrigued with Balis because #1 I love knives, and #2 even if I don't need to cut something, Balis are much more interesting to manipulate vs a folder or fixed blade IMO.

Every Bali I have ever bought, I bought to see what it flipped like. Every single one. I have a few nicer Balis that I only flip over carpet or couch pillows, but I still flip or flipped them. Some where a disappointment in the flipping department so they do not get pulled out as much, but none of my purchases were "just to have" or to "collect only". Maybe I could be accused of "collecting Balis that are supposed to flip well":bwah:, but that would be it.

I abuse: my original T2, a Spyderfly beater, my 51, a 42 spring latch, and a 42A T-latch. I will be abusing my 2.0 in the future- I flip it a lot inside at the moment, but with the above knives that are already in the abused stage, there is no need to rush things.:manganr:

I use: read flip inside over carpet or a cushion if over wood floors, my 2.0, my 1.0MC, and pretty much every other Bali I own with a few exceptions. I do have a few "users" that are sooo fukin sharp that I flip them cautiously and with great respect, but they still get manipulated.

I have stuck in a box and never flip: My Kimmy, my 62, and my Smallfly. These Balis are the worst flipping knives I own, IMO, and since I buy knives to flip, if the aren't fun or interesting to flip, they get retired.

That's my take.

6. goatlord666

goatlord666 Huge member

I really can't find the heart to abuse production knives (except cold steel knives). I'll use them that's for sure, but pushing them to the breaking point kinda makes me cringe, that's just me of course.

however...when it comes to low grade fhm's (specially due to the ease of acquisition locally, low cost and the abundance of supply) i'd totally torture test them motherf'rs without remorse. toss them 10 feet into the air and not worry if I fail on the catch.

I'm not yet finished building my shrine for my pAB 2.0. I will just adore it with religious subservience...i'd build a temple for a DeLeon tho...

7. Cole

Cole Huge member

I heard will moon knives can handle this easily. He even has video proof.

I don't "beat" my knives. As far as use, I use a mayhem or a spyderfly. The mayhem is the one I'd consider my "user" but it's actually pretty clean. The spyderfly was already a bit beat when I bought it, and that pretty much destroyed any chance it had for being "babied", even if it is a vg10. I flip my Tach2 anywhere in the house, but never really carry it anywhere it would be "beaten". They may not be the most expensive balis, but I take pretty good care of them anyway.

8. goatlord666

goatlord666 Huge member

9. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

I beat my meat until it turns purple , why have it if you are not going yo play with it?....:unintroduced:

10. DeadPuppy

DeadPuppy JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I flip my Beast more than I do most other knives. I flip it in more places and care less to keep it nice than most other knives. I have no problems taking it with me to flip in the park:

[YOUTUBEHD]m8aDcA6EwOA[/YOUTUBEHD]

That said, I don't flip it stupidly. I have no interest in flipping over conctrete etc. I'll try a lame power aerial over dirt, and that's about it.

I never understood the obsession with dropping knives on a damaging surface for no reason other than to say "yeah I flip my expensive knife over concrete and it can take it." I know plenty of people have proved that the beast can take some damage, but just because it can doesn't mean it should, you know? My beast has a few small knicks and dents, but I'd still put it at about 90%, and that's how it should be IMO.

There's a video (i think it was an okca video) where a bunch of flippers stood in a circle and dropped all their knives on the ground. That video drives me absolutely insane. What's the point? How is that cool? My car is built to handle quite a bit of abuse, but that doesn't mean I'm going to play bumper cars on the highway just because I can!

I don't baby my knives. I flip em more than many collectors ever would. Heck, I think I might be the only person on earth that actively flips a Terry Guinn (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), though I do keep that over carpet/beds at least. But I also don't go out of my way to put a piece of metal through more than it was designed to do. But hey, maybe that's just a lame way of thinking that I picked up at work, where if you bump a fixture wrong it's fucked.

11. laughingbuddha

I look after mine... it's the best I've got.

12. Kstreetmafia

Kstreetmafia JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's exactly how I see it as well. I love my beast and flip it more than anything else but I don't abuse it. Still at about 85-90%
    it can certainly take abuse, and I love that about it.
    But I wouldn't ever force it to take the abuse.
    I understand that people want to get their money's worth out of a knife this nice, and beat it to shit. But not me, if it slowly happens naturally that's fine. There's probably a spa day in its future when it gets below 75% ! I also work with delicate, expensive SS parts at work though, maybe there's something to that...

13. ufokillerz

ufokillerz JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

my beast is minty fresh, dropped it tip first a few times... onto my king size mattress though.

14. laughingbuddha

Yeah... I was real careful with mine and only ever flipped it over my bed.

Until I stayed in these dormitories while I was studying for a couple of weeks. I flipped over the bed as usual but it bounced off and hit the carpet tip first. Went through the carpet, underlay and straight into the concrete floor :cry:

Needless to say, that my tip is no longer perfect.

As such, on occasionally I now venture outside with it and flip over the nice soft grass or bark in my garden... but it has to be sunny and the lawn has to be a minimum of 5cm in length.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
  15. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Funny. I try to baby one. The other I wont flip.:ross::ross::ross:

16. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

You measure your grass? :unintroduced:

17. Frickbot

Frickbot Does not compute

[​IMG]

cutting grass too short can damage it.

18. Linos

[​IMG]
    he also has a swifferorsomeathershitnamethatidontrecall to clean it...
    [​IMG]
    and some times he takes temperature to make sure it`s healthy....
    [​IMG]

19. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Bet he would have flipped the hell out of it.

[​IMG]

20. Linos

Referral Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMzYzNzE3NTgxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDY1MDY5._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg" on this server.
    Reference #24.a7b44917.1389281840.e14c2d0