1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

DKW sandshark OTFs

Zdenek Sep 17, 2012

1. Zdenek

Zdenek Little member

Hello all,
    Here and there I can hear about the legendary OTFs by DKW. Is there something to read about the history of them, etc.? Who is now the crown prince among the OTFs? Thx in advance.
    Zdenek

2. kizuf

kizuf czechee ďábel JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

3. Zdenek

Zdenek Little member

Thank you for the answer. I know about that thread. If someone no something more about the company etc. ...
    At the bottom I can see the Czech flag... ????
    ...... yes, I know about Burn OTFs. They look great. I look forward to your description.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  4. kizuf

OK, then someone else will need to help you, I think there are quite some Sandshark enthusiasts. I've just remembered that the thread I linked was interesting, but otherwise I am not that much interested in Sandsharks... I'm crazy about Burn knives though. I will probably only have very short time to play with the proto...

Indeed it is a Czech flag.
    View attachment 95593

5. kizuf

Well, I actualy got interested so I found this link, in case you didn't find it yourself here's some history

6. Zdenek

Zdenek Little member

Thank you. I have read this some time ago. It looks like the brand - its origin as well as its termination - is surrounded with a mystery.

7. zzugman

zzugman Huge member

I have been collecting Sandsharks and Cheyennes for sometime now and it is very hard to find anything at all about them. I have spent countless hours on the net looking for info. According to everything I have found the info above is correct. Made by the a couple of brothers that have military contracts out in the desert. They made them between contracts and is far as I can tell. No serial numbers. I can't even get a estimate of how many were made. As far as I can tell there has only been one limited edition sandshark made. It was a 24K gold model that 7 were made and they actually came with a letter stating that is was a limited edition. Who knows, maybe they did other limited runs but I have never come across them. I have had people sell me ones that they say are very rare but there is no proof. As long as I have been collecting them. Checking the forums and stuff. It seems like the Black handle shark is the most common. Then followed by the gray handled shark. Once in awhile a splash shark will come up. I am told they made the handles in all different colors. Blue,black,red,purple etc. I have even come across a few patriot Sandsharks. Red,white and blue. Who knows maybe one day one of the brothers will get interested again and see one of our posts and let us in on the big mystery but between the mystery and the video its what makes the knives so great. Also because they are awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Actually the James Brothers aren't "brothers" in the blood/related sense.

They're a talented partnership of two guys in the Phoenix, AZ (Chandler/Gilbert) area who happen to share the first name *James* (James Lozon and James Sullivan). Desert Knife Works (DKW) is the company that eventually evolved...

9. Zdenek

Zdenek Little member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
  10. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

How to determine a market value for a Sandshark? I see only a dozen or so per year come up on the various forums and most sellers edit out their selling prices after the sale is finalized, so it's hard to get an idea of what one should pay. For knives that have sold in the past 3 years, I've seen asking prices from $800 up to $2600. The knives closer to $1K were all basic models and sold immediately (a good indication they were under-priced) while the higher-priced knives had colored handles, damascus blades, etc. and it's not always clear if they actually sold for the asking price.

The only one I ever saw locally was at a weapons colletor show three years ago. It had a bronze handle and tanto blade, but had been a user with handle dings, blade scratches and significant blade play. It was priced at $400.