1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Titanium Anodize Removal & How to Anodize DIY with 9V batteries

Skatterbrain Apr 15, 2017

1. Skatterbrain

Skatterbrain Little Member

Alright so I'm a complete and utter NOOB . I've never Anodized Titanium nor any metal for a matter of fact. But I'm looking to Anidize some Titanium DIY with some 9V Batteries tommorow or the next day . And im looking for some good advice on how to properly & quickly remove the Anodize off Titanium in the advent that I skrew it up and come out with a color that I don't like or want . I've seen online in a video that you can use rust remover but it acid etched the titanium , which in my understanding if you then went to re-Anidize that same piece of titanium that the color would be all screwed up and wouldn't be as vibrant . I haven't found anything on the Internet saying if that's actually so or not . I'd like to be able to remove the Anodize from the titanium and still shortly after , proceed too re-Anodize the pieces to the color that I'd like . so i have the information rather then not having it . I don't really have scrap Titanium laying around to test . Other then one small piece. Which is a Titanium Balisong Latch . So if anyone knows of a great way to remove it so I can then re-anodize the part shortly after with no effect on what the over all color will be would be great .

Now moving on too the other position of this inquiry , actually Anodizing the titanium with 9v Batteries ........

I've herd of and see a multitude of different ways to Anodize Titanium in different liquids . Some being ( simple green , diet coke, coke, water& Baking soda , distilled water & TSP Ect . And im sure the list goes on & on . But I'm not looking for complicated , I'm looking for Simple ,easy, effective with promising results .
    The way that I've got planned right now is water & Baking Soda in a small container . Buying a pack of batteries and shooting for the moon hoping to get a vibrant BLUE anodized piece . Unless I don't like it which the first part of this inquiry which would then come into play by taking steps to the remove & re-anodize .

What I've gathered so far with water & Baking Soda . Three 9v batteries will give you a purple & 4 will give you a pretty decent mid to light Blue after 4 batteries 5 & 6 I'm not too sure about . But I'm pretty sure 7 & 8 will give you a gold , if the blue isn't to par with my liking then I'll probably try and shoot for a deep Gold color with 9v batteries . Because you can go down the color chart once you've gone up . So if I go to gold after blue if I don't like it and still don't like the gold I'd like to remove it and preform another method. But in case of that I want to have all my bases covered , rather then going half way then being left up a creek not knowing what to do next .

Any advice , help , solutions for issues , would all be greatly appreciated

Thanks for reading this i know it got pretty long & i apologize for that

Have a great day &
    Thanks

- * oh side note

I was thinking of just going with a heat Anodize , but figured that it wouldn't turn out a solid color blue & i wouldn't like it or would screw it up

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    begreen61 likes this.
  2. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

eagle one mag wheel ETCHING cleaner strips ano off
    i have an old box of cascade dish power i use for my ano mix

BennytheBlade, corjzg and begreen61 like this.
  3. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Huge member

If you live in the US and want some scrap Ti to practice on shoot me a message.

Chris Edwards and begreen61 like this.
  4. Skatterbrain

Yeah i found out that ( Whinks rust stain remover) is really great at taking off The Anodized coating fast . In 10 seconds and will also etch it . Which if I'm right will do the same thing that heated Multi etch will do . But thanks man I really do appreciate the information I'll have to give that a try sometime soon. For my solution I'm most likely going to go ahead and use Borax because I've got a bunch of it from hunting , I use it on Animal hide once I've removed the fat & extra skin to set, dry & cure the hide then use salts after to help draw out the rest of the underlying moisture. Like they do in
    * Taxidermy

or I might use some TSP . But from what I've come to understand in the research I've been doing , it doesn't matter what solution mix you use as long as the material your using in it is electrically conductive. That one solution mix to the other won't give you any better or worse of a result with the color vibrancy Or overall finish . That may be wrong but that's what I've picked up from the research I've done so far . What really helps with the color when you Anodize , I guess is using Multi-Etch too Etch the surface to open the pores to allow better brighger colors . But I'm hoping that if I give the Titanium a 5-10 second Dip in the whinks rust remover before I Anodize , ( like you would to remove the Anodize) that it'll do the same thing & have the same effect that heated Multi-Etch has & allow for better more vibrant colors . But I'll probably only test that theroy out later on when I have pieces that I can test in that I don't care about . But if so I'm sure going to post my finding to help other people that are starting out like I am

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Always remember to take pictures.

begreen61 and Skatterbrain like this.
  6. Skatterbrain

Yup I most definitely will . Once I get started and get the supplies I need and so on , then start . After I'm finished I'm thinking of going ahead and posting a 9v batteries scale colors for titanium Anodizing . But it probably won't be for awhile . Then hopefully soon I might be able to pick up a 120v power supply

seandavid55 and begreen61 like this.
  7. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I;ll be looking forwards to the pictures,enjoy your quest sounds like fun .

seandavid55 likes this.
  8. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

I have always fancied trying it myself, but I strongly doubt I will be able to hit the mark like some of the work I have seen here...I cannot remember his name? Adolbroze? Idol bronze? His work is wild.... Good luck dude!

begreen61 likes this.
  9. Skatterbrain

Thanks bro , appreciate it . I've been doing a bunch of research so I'm pretty certain that after a little bit of practice I'll get it done where i can get a pretty good anodized patterns . Once I get started I'll test the colors that ill get at what voltage . Then move on to doing 2 tone splatter patterns then figure a way to get a nice 3 tone splatter on smaller pieces like Balisongs . Then probably work on multi color fades. But after I work some things out in my head & on paper with the proper materials I'll need I'm sure I'll get some wicked anodized pieces. ..

begreen61, XamaX and desmodus like this.
  10. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

You can also use a varic(variable transformer) with a bridge rectifier to turn it to dc power 20150425_173856.jpg 20150425_183641.jpg

11. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  12. Skatterbrain

I would but it takes a ton of parts and a proper understanding of electrical currents to build

begreen61 likes this.
  13. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Only takes variac (around 60$ or so new) and bridge rectifier( 7-10$)
    And a little wire , titanium cathode( is what i used)
    Ac voltage out of variac ,2 wires to the ac lines on rectifier, + and - out of rectifier to the + and - leads
    (Just trying to help you out )
    These pictures are just ideas of what im talking about
    Screenshot_2017-04-25-17-11-32.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-25-17-00-06.png

14. Skatterbrain

Yeah , I definitely appreciate it , I've been under the impression that it's supposed to be built like this [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. Skatterbrain

16. blackmetal1181

Ya that looks cool but you can do a lot with a little sometimes not everthing is osha aproved sometimes you can make it work if you think hard enough and do some research knife making and modification is trial and error. Lets have some fun!

BennytheBlade and begreen61 like this.
  17. blackmetal1181

BTW the only thing i see different from what im talking about is a capacitor which would be a good idea for more precision
    and some extra controls/outputs/digital voltage display
    If you have any questions let me know
    Im getting ready for this too i will be doing some full ti framelocks soon and the more info i get the better but its still trial and error. All equipment is different so you have to experiment

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    begreen61 likes this.
  18. Skatterbrain

Yeah definitely man . Are you multi etching before hand ? I think I've found a better alternative to heated Multi-Etch ...... just as you would to remove the Anodize from Titanium with (Whinks Rust Stain remover) which will etche the Titanium after you remove it . I believe that if you do the same process, but just throwing in a unAnodized piece & let it sit for 10 seconds once it's began to react by bubbling, remove it & it should be just as good of an etch as heated Multi-Etch would provide . Allowing for the pores in the metal to open up , Giving more vibrant colors . But as I said this is just a theroy at the moment . If it'll etche Ti while removing the Ano then it should work the same without the Ano & etch it the same.

But at the moment I'm probably gonna go with a power supply . DC current is DC current & volts are volts. So I should get the exact same results . Lol just without the possibility of making a mistake somewhere along the line & electrocuting myself to death.

begreen61 likes this.
  19. Karl Vogt

Karl Vogt Tiny Member

Its a pretty easy affair to anodize titanium at home. Personally I use a large wonton soup container and some foil several 9 volt batteries(about 6 give or take depending on color) and the main bit is a heavy mix of TSP. The TSP works great as a carrier liquid. As you see by the picture some is srarting to rub off mainly because i wanted to try and didnt do great prep. (I will fix it when I feel the need however it leads to a good idea of the color change after about a minute if that)

Attached Files:

begreen61 likes this.
  20. hickory

hickory JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I anodized titanium to make earrings when I was a kid, used scotch tape as a resist. worked well.
    Seeing blackmetal's setup brings back memories, thanks.

begreen61 likes this.