1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Sharpening

RJ Martin Dec 9, 2016

1. RJ Martin

RJ Martin Tactical Knife Maker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Now, I know my knives stay sharp for a long time, but they don't stay sharp forever.

And I'm not inundated with knives to sharpen, so I must conclude that at least some of you who are actually using your RJ Martins must be sharpening them yourself.

So let's talk about DIY sharpening!

I recommend the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker. I own one myself, I use it on all my damascus blades to remove the wire (foil) edge instead of buffing.

The white sticks will make an edge very sharp!

But there are lots of systems out there, and I haven't tried any of them. I am not a fan of the powered sharpeners, at least not the ones I've seen.

So what do you guys use?

2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I've been using stones for beveled edges and sandpaper for convex for a while but I just picked up the Ken Onion Work Sharp.

On a side note, you just sharpened my Overkill because I am not a Professional.

3. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I'm a huge fan of the Sharpmaker. It's the easiest for me to use and get the best results.

I tried pretty much everything Lansky and Smiths made, but I was never satisfied with the end result. I can't freehand at all. The Sharpmaker gives me shaving sharp edges in less than five minutes. What more could I ask for?

4. Slowcash

Slowcash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

My freehand skills are not the best but do work for me. I did order up a awsome system http://tsprof.com that I'm hoping to start a small sharpening business with. I work near/with a culinary school so I can sharpen at lunch for the students providing a quick turnaround.

5. Billy_Goat

Billy_Goat JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've enjoyed using the edge pro Apex. It keeps that factory line and you can make your blade a razor if you'd like. It's a bit more but at the price of these knives makes it worth it.

6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That's the thing, at the cost of some of those sharpeners I could buy another knife or two.

7. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

I convex my knives using sandpapers on a leather strop table/board...and then compound on denim on the board.

:ropeman:

My knives are sharp as hell, and they stay that way a long time. And it's fast and easy to maintain an edge like this with just the denim step every Monday morning if you are working your knife a good deal every day.

I saw a video of how to do it using a magazine under the sandpaper posted by none other than Mike Stewart.

I have always wanted to get a proper hanging strop, but have yet to do so. Honestly, I think I have the leather on a board thing going well and will stick to it.

I have never tried any of the sharpeners out there besides a wet stone, which I was never able to use to my satisfaction...not even close, often ruined the edges I tried to sharpen.

obi

8. desmodus

like you use honing compound on denim?

9. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Yes, that combination is how I get to shaving sharp. I guess it's my poor man's strop. That, on top of a soft surface, like a notebook or a thick piece of leather on a board.

obi

10. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Don't make me cu..OW! Knife Maker or Craftsman

Anymore I use an edge pro for flat grinds and stones/strop for convex. I'll use a steel first if an edge is dented or rolled.

Probably the most important sharpening lesson I've learned (and there have been many) is not to stress out about it. Next is not to use a belt sander.

11. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I do have a connection to sharpen most of my kitchen knives and EDC's. He has a wheel with I think its a 1 1/2" belt on it. Interesting he always knows the good steel on the belt and said he should be charging me more for wear and tear. D2 (Variable), S35VN, S110V and S30V seem to be the hardest on his rig.

I do stropping which is how I have taken care of the edges.