1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Devils into Martial Arts?

Bill T Mar 31, 2013

1. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey Devils,

Any of you into Martial Arts? :yinyang:

You know, Karate, Kung Fu, Krav Maga, Aikido...? There are so many different Types, Styles, etc , that I was wondering if a thread to talk about what we do and why , would be interesting..

Not which is better, those comparisons go nowhere..

Myself, when I was younger(25), I studied Fu Jow Pai , which is Tiger Claw Kung Fu.. Definitely a young persons Martial Art.

When I entered my 40's I studied Yang Style Tai Chi... Mostly for its health benefits.

I took some years off from my studies, but the longing never left...So I recently re-enrolled in my old Tai Chi School..

I know there has to be plenty of you who study or have studied...So...Whatcha' got????

2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i did sambo (russian grappling) and combat kickboxing for almost a year until i got a new job that did not give me a regular enough schedule...

i miss it all the time.

my favorite part of sambo was that there was no striking. that sort of stuff leads to peoples' skin getting broken and bodily fluids being exchanged. i always thought it way more fun to make people scream and submit without leaving the bruises and smashed teeth that other fighting leads to.

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

I still practice that style where there is grappling and bodily fluids are being exchanged . :devilzeek :bwah:

4. medit8

medit8 Brigade Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

I did14 years of amateur and street boxing almost daily many years ago. Now I just punch a heavy bag and watch my Black Belt grand daughter do ATA Taekwondo a few nights a week. There are two 6th degree Masters teaching there (one of whom was the World's champ at sparring in 2009). Very impressive physical aspect and an admirable mental part that they emphasize there....respect, perseverance, setting realistic goals, etc. I like the idea of having more than just destroying your opponent being part of training, but I have no doubt that the quality of the end result of being truly able to self-defend yourself must be one of the prime goals, and perhaps the most important thing to judge any martial arts method by.
    Thanks,
    Bob

droid likes this.
  5. 2tallballer

2tallballer Huge member

My dad studied kempo karate when he was younger and passed on an interest in me at a young age. Have studied wushu and wing chun Kung fu the most over the last 10 years. Allways looking forward to learning a greater focus in myself! I've just recently moved to southwest Florida, if anyone knows of a good school I'm all ears!

6. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

I've been practicing martial arts for 39 years now.

Started with Tae Kwon Do under (now) Grand Master Paul DeBaca in 1974 in Zweibruecken, Germany.

We had an exchange student in 1977 that was from Brazil. He taught me some Jiu-Jitsu and I taught him some Karate.

Moved back to the states and took some Kempo/Kung-Fu from Doug Flewelling in Washburn, Maine.

I went into the military and practiced different styles with a lot of different people. Some Aikido, Lotus, Judo, military combatives...

Continued with TKD after leaving the military.

Moved again and have practiced Tang Soo Do with Istvan Burgyan for the last 10 years.

Took the Emerson Combat Systems course twice. Once in Virginia Beach and once in Torrance, Ca. at Richard Bustillo's school. You may or may not like his knives, but Ernie is a great guy!

Trained with Dan Inosanto for a few days back in 2005. He was in his late 60s and could move so fast I couldn't see it! He would show me a technique and ask if I understood it, I'd just laugh and ask if he could slow it down. Amazing man!

I was certified as an instructor in Krav Maga in 2009 by Avi Moyal and Gabi Noah in Saginaw, Texas. That was tough... I was 49 years old and it was 106 degrees there. We were in an old brick building with no AC!!! Hardest 22 days of my life since I left the military!!!

So, yeah... I guess you could say I'm into martial arts. :bwah:

Towelie and Shike like this.
  7. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ugh, started in the ATA TakeMyDough in 1982.....became an instructor, did the tournament racket...ptui. Power ranger asshattery.

Left there and went to ChungDoKwan, got my 2nd dan. I quit when things started changing for the worse. Again, it turned into power ranger/ everyone passes their test even id the forget what their doing (we want the money).

I left there, trained with an Olympic medalist for a little bit. Now I've finally found a traditional Japanese school. MJER Iaido and Jujutsu.

droid likes this.
  8. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I began studying Martial Arts in 1964. Had my own school for close to 30 years until I retired from active teaching. Now I work with my youngest at home. It was a fun ride and met many cool people, some pretty famous ,some unknown (usually the most talented). Wanted to spend more time with family so I passed my students to my most senior student.

droid likes this.
  9. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Have been dabbling in the arts for 40+ years.....Isshinryu karate, a few Filipino arts (Escrima, Dumog, Pananjakman), also some Xing-Yi and Bagua.

10. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

I studied Judo and jujitsu growing up. As well as having a solid background in Greco roman wrestling. Competed for most my youth and into my twenties. Then I played rugby for a few years. That counts in my book.

I miss the arts but I've been so plagued with injuries in my later years that I gotta keep my distance from combatives. So I skateboard for my kicks these days.

11. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

Does This Count ?

I don't know if this counts as studying martial arts, but I've been trying to get back into shape by basically pulling up videos of various drills/katas/freestyling with the tonfa, escrima stick, shillelagh, bo staff, and basically mimmick what I see. For the most part I'm a visual learner and I rarely have to watch a video a handful of times before being able to mimmick what I saw. I know its not really conventional or practical in real situations but these are low intensity work outs that work up a pretty good sweat and it is kind of slimming me down a bit and that's all I'm really trying for.

12. elusiveweasle

elusiveweasle Brigade Member Brigade Member

Tang Soo DO, Tae Kwan Do, Jujitsu, Greco Roman Wrestling, Moo Duk Kwan, and for the past few years Ive been pursuing Defendu. I was also lucky some years back to get some instruction in the L.I.N.E. system. Martial Arts have been in my life since I was 8 years old.

Jason

13. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

My sister and I did the TKD thing when I was a kid. I got up to a green belt, and her an orange belt, before she got us kicked out of our dojo.

I've been wanting to get back into it, but I can't afford the money or time to work with a dojo.

14. GlockNRolla

GlockNRolla Intergalactic Booty Hunter

Pootie Tang Wa Da Tah!

I ain't earned my buckle yet.

[​IMG]

15. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Myself, when I was younger(25), I studied Fu Jow Pai , which is Tiger Claw Kung Fu..

BULLSHIT!!! Me master beat you master any day of the week but Sunday. Wan-go Tango., I study with Ted.

Great idea Bill, I have study for 20 yrs at least. First Tae kwon do, then Kajukenbo, next escrima with ninja training mixed in. I know bullshit but I have a pic of me and and Stephen Hayes from the 1980s. Next American Karate, aikijutsu, aikido, judo. Most of all FMA, studied with three teachers of the stick and knife. Now I'm an old fart and study tai chi but my basement is a dojo. Mat, speed bag, heavy bag, and Mexican double end bag, can't leave out the wood man, mak jong.
    P>S I also have a pics of me with Joe Lewis, and one one Oleg Taterove( the russsian bear ufc fighter from thr 1990s). I have meet Jeese Glover from Bruce Lee time at a Com Tech seminar. I love the MAs but it does hurt your body.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
    Bill T likes this.
  16. Blak Smyth

Blak Smyth Little member

Bjj & mma

I trained MMA but messed up my hand pretty bad and stopped striking, fell in love with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and trained in this specifically for a couple years. I took some time off with the intention of returning to it but still havent after a couple years off. I still love BJJ but it takes soo much time, energy and money that I had to give it up. There is no way I could even fit into my gis now.
    I competed in amatuer compitions, but didn't enjoy that much. I sometimes had to wait eight hours to compete for only a couple minutes. But I love the art form of BJJ, it is very much a mental sport as well as a skill.

17. creich420

creich420 Enormous member

I did some karate(orange) and TKD(purple) when i lived in FL. i was real young (not even 16) but it was real fun
    i have been thinking about getting back into if i had the money there is a school in my town but i dont know if it is any good.

18. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

ya, I saw that show in tiajuana....:bwah:

19. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I hurt somebody's feelings once.....

20. atl4ntis

atl4ntis Little member

I used to train at the Wah Lum temple when I lived in Orlando. They may be one of the last bastions of traditional kung fu left in America. They are good people.