1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Darrel Ralph's New Balisong in Prototype form...

Liu Kang May 16, 2011

1. Liu Kang

Liu Kang Dealer Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ok, here it is, the long awaited Bali. I have been working with Darrell Ralph on making me a Bali that everyone is going to want. So this is a collaboration between the two of us and the first time ever. Then handles are from Solid Titanium. The blade is either going to be 154CM or S30V. We are working on what we want the blade finish is going to be. We are thinking about either a satin or a stonewashed finish. This does have and will have the "MAXX GLIDE PIVOT BEARING SYSTEMâ„¢" in it so it is going to be very smooth. This Prototype has a 4" Blade with about a 3 3/4" cutting edge. 9 2/8" is the overall. But both of those may change slightly. I am thinking we are going to take the re-curve out of the blade an just make a simple straight blade bowie.
    At this time, the blade is about .165" thick and this Bali is much heavier then one previous ones I have handled from Darrel Ralph which is what I wanted.
    Well, this one we are going to still have to tweak out to make it the perfect Bali. I just thought I'd share this info.
    The price is going to be about $450 with a very very limited production.
    There is no estimated time for when these will be ready but I'm hoping really soon. I will be the only person selling these Bali!
    Dan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  2. Solstice

Solstice Little member

Noice.

Couple of questions Dan. Bushings and if so what will the material be? Or are you going to attempt a bearing setup?

Overall length and Blade length?

And finally, do you have a price point determined yet?

I really glad to see that this is coming together for you bro, I know it's something you've been wanting to do for some time now.

3. czombie

czombie Average member

what's it weigh...??

4. Liu Kang

Sorry, I forgot, I just edited out the original thread, thanks for pointing out those specs. Been pretty busy and overlooked those specs.

Well, it's a bit heavier then I want that to be at this point. So we will be working on that. As I have stated, this is just the first prototype, we are still working on it to fine tune it.
    Dan

5. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

What is the weight?

What kind of spacers?

Are the latches adjustable?

Can pivots be adjusted without loosening the handles?

I recommend a taper in the handles. They feel too thick.

6. Bladejunkie

Bladejunkie Huge member

I was wondering the weight as well and what it can compare to as far as flipping goes. Sending a PM about getting on the waiting list

7. Boomaga

Boomaga Huge member

for that price i'd like a better blade.

maybe a tanto option? recurve tanto sounds nice.

8. czombie

czombie Average member

I'm confused on the 6 3/8 overall length...??....Did you maybe mean 8 3/8...??

9. Liu Kang

Where did you get that crazy number? LOL
    I edited that. I'm lucky I got pictures posted. The forum thing is a lot of work...

O, and these are my Bali, nobody else is going to have it. Darrel will not be selling them. I think the production number will be less then 200 as of right now. Things could change.

10. CDR_Glock

Put me down for one. It won't be made for at least 8 months, I am guessing.

11. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

A "bali that everyone is going to want".... well I guess you can count me out then.

I suppose if you were a collector it might be your cup of tea or if you are going to use it for EDC, but it's not my idea of a good time.

IMO the blade profile looks awesome, I love the re-curve.... and thats about where it ends.:bwah:

For flipping the bearing system will be too smooth. No top flipper will use a Bali with bearings, everyone knows that. Don't believe me?? name me one flipper worth a pinch of shit who would state otherwise.

I'm really not liking the handles either.... it looks more like a work of art than a user or a flipper.

Just one mans opinion though. Each to there own.

12. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

How limited are we talking? Are they all spoken for yet?

Someone posted pics of these elsewhere and described them as DDRs for HTM, are these one and the same?

I'd like to see stonewashed blades.

13. Frstr8

Frstr8 First Rate JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Will these have the NLT pivot?

14. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

Shame it's not bushings...Still, I will have to have one....I like the look, would like to loose the recurve...dont like the engraved lettering where it is....on the tang would be better...Sattin looks better after stropped, stone washed rubbs off...:semper:

15. Liu Kang

Believe it or not, compared to a BM42, you wouldn't believe how solid the swing is. It's super smooth and there is not play on the pivots so you don't have to worry about adjusting it.
    The latch and spacers are made of SS. They are very solid and as of right now the latch is adjustable
    I think we will try to 3d machine a little off the sides of the handle in a curve. Make the handles a little more rounded...
    This is not going to be one of those flimsy Balisong with lots of play in them, it's going to be solid!

16. CDR_Glock

Tolerances are tight. It's a solid knife.

My Titanium/Carbon fiber prototype is a touch wide and a touch thick. Doesn't handle as well as a 4x Benchmade because of its thickness.

17. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

I do like the look of the handles....I wonder if a groove fuller could be milled on the insides of the handles if you still needed to loose a little more weight after you take some curves of the edges...

Would be realy nice if it had a removable clip!

18. Bladejunkie

Bladejunkie Huge member

count me in for one of these. I also agree with what was stated above though, other blade options would be nice.

19. intron

intron Huge member

Pm sent about getting on the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2011
  20. Liu Kang

Well, here is an update on the Bali and the progress we are on. Darrell now has the prototype back. Looks like I have have the new version after Blade 2011. Here is what we are looking at.
    For those that ask, we can option to have a bushing which will be bearing bronze. There is not upcharge or down charge. We cannot guarantee the bali to be totally tight, because that is not possible with a bushing.
    We are going to try rounded edges and see if we can thin out the Bali a bit to take off weight and make the Bali faster. I think we are also going to make about 20 with a re-curve blade to be a bit different so if anyone wants one like so, please contact me via email at liukang187@yahoo.com
    I would suggest you add this thread to your subscriptions for more updates. Thanks
    Dan