1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Damn Cars

stdlrf11 Oct 4, 2014

1. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I've been falling out of love with cars over the last few years. Not that I've ever had any good luck with them.

They cost too damn much money and they are a pain in the ass.

I sold my car years ago, and I bike to work.

I bought my wife a '05 Mitsubishi Outlander in 2006. We don't drive much. It has under 130k miles. We do the regular maintenance, etc.

Everything was going fine until a few weeks ago.

I started it up one morning and it sputtered and coughed to a halt.

The timing belt slipped and caused engine damage.

They found a bunch of other things that needed fixed too, so I decided to get it all done at once, and save the hassle. It cost a shitload of money, but I justified it by saying it was cheaper than buying another car. Besides, this one has been 100% reliable for a long time.

Now, one week later, the fucking radiator is leaking.

At what point to y'all just give up on the damn thing and get another?

2. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Still cheaper than another car. Have it looked over maybe at a dealership and see if there is else that could go soon, if not, I would give it another shot. I just got rid of my Subaru Forrester because it started to nickel and dime me to death and I knew something else major could go soon. Got a good deal on a trade so I got a 2014 Nissan Versa.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  3. hienho

hienho Monolithic Baby! Brigade Member

Could it be the hoses or is there a definite leak from the radiator itself. Either way, a new radiator is not that expensive if you do it yourself. While you have it apart, it is a good idea to replace the thermostat as well.

4. stdlrf11

Hoses and thermostat were replaced last week.

There is a small pinhole leak on the top of the radiator.

5. Purple flip

Purple flip Little member

That's what i drive in a 2013 Sedan model, i love it to death :P

OT: You can get a replacement for around 80 dollars and then just have them install it should be around 100-150ish dollars with labor, parts, and fluid costs.
    Source- Google shop.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    Shike likes this.
  6. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

JB Weld. Call it a day. Probably not the answer most will give for thorough fixing, but it would be pretty damn cheap and should last a bit.

7. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Please do NOT put JB weld on your radiator!

Find a local mechanic, get an after market radiator.

Call it a day ;)

8. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Lease!! 3 years
    Do nothing but change oil at thee local grease monkey and get a free car wash.....And bring it in for recalls(if any)
    Give it back and get another New Vehicle= No tires, Brakes, Bullshit. Only time I open the Hood is to give someone a Boost

9. stdlrf11

I'm going to get the radiator replaced. It's about $160 for an aftermarket unit from AutoZone.... plus installation.

With this, including all the other stuff that's wrong, I'll have spent thousands in repairs, close to what it's worth.

It's been a good car, and we like it. I'm just not sure at what point I'm wasting my money.

10. Stabber

It seems your past the point

11. Mr.LaBella

It has been my experience, in the auto industry, that you are either:

Making payments

OR

Making repairs.

:decisions

Lower insurance rates can definitely offset the costs on your current vehicle and the decision to purchase a new[er?] one.

:goodbad:

12. Purple flip

Purple flip Little member

+1 New conspiracy theory incoming.

13. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

If you haven't already replaced it recently and your mechanic didn't replace or at least auggest doing the water pump when he did the hoses and the thermostat - get a new mechanic....and do the water pump

14. hienho

hienho Monolithic Baby! Brigade Member

I'd say use it after the fix. Then after a few years, trade it in.

15. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

This, and if you are lucky (or can afford to pay it off quick) you might get a few years in between.

16. Stabber

The trick to buying a used car is to Dump it after a few years while it still has a descent value. Everyone seems to marry the Jalopy
    Next used car I get will be around 1970 or Below:manganr: With Classic car insurance

17. stdlrf11

It's all bullshit anyway. We've been convinced that we need a car. We spend between $5-10k/yr just to move ourselves from one place to another.

We have been told that to have a car is freedom.

Freedom from what?

Freedom to make payments every month? To pay for gas? Insurance? Expensive repairs?

Yeah, the American dream.

I got fed up with that about five years ago. I sold my car and bought a bike. I've had the chance to experienced real freedom. Freedom from the bondage of the automobile. I'm so fucking glad I don't have my own car anymore.

If it were up to me, we'd just get rid of her car and get a cargo bike.

Too bad my wife doesn't agree.

Yeah, I sound like a hippie. Kiss my ass. :eekfinger: :bwah:

sickboy likes this.
  18. Mr.LaBella

Damn hippie!

19. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

Until you spandexers start paying registration fees you should ride on the side walk.:devilfinger:

A good mechanic and routine maintenance is always cheaper than payments and insurance. Replace it before it breaks and other things wont break because of it. Do a little research on the make model and year, find out what other people have problems with and keep an eye on it.

Its not the mileage that kills cars, its the neglect.

Wifey-Poo is driving a 2004 Aztek, we love that POS. I spent 3k in maintenance last year. Any new car with AWD is around 30K so payments and insurance is about 600-800 a month, not to mention the fucking cost of registration on a new vehicle. :devilzeek

20. stdlrf11

Show me a sideWALK that is wide enough, safe to use, and gets me to where I need to go and I'll use it. :eekfinger: