1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Drill Sergeant

Drill Sergeant Huge member

I have been searching for information about my father’s WWII unit for years. A few days ago I finally hit pay dirt. I found someone on the internet who was looking for men who served in his unit. He had photos that his father had taken of my Dad and his buddies from the ETO.

My dad served in the 502 Quartermaster Car Company. It was attached to Third Army HQ (General George S. Patton). My father drove for Colonel Claude E. Haswell who was in charge of finding advanced bivouac areas for the Third Army Headquarters. Those HQ areas were called “Lucky Forward”. Lucky was the code name for the Third Army. As you may be aware, Patton moved very quickly so he kept those two hopping.

Attached is a photo of my Dad and two other men from his unit. He’s holding his M1 Carbine. It is obviously with all early features. Unfortunately, the M3 Fighting Knife issued with each Carbine is not visible in the photo. He was only 19 at the time this picture was taken. The location, while unknown, was probably in Luxembourg or the area of Nancy, France.

The Jeep carries the name of his British girlfriend (don’t tell my Mom). Check out those uniforms. He always had the brightest boots in his unit (Patton wouldn't have it any other way).

I continue my search for others from his unit. If anyone seeing this post knows someone who served in the 502nd, please PM me. Those who served in WWII are quickly disappearing from the scene and their exploits, sacrifices and bravery have been forgotten by many.

By the way, all three men in this photo made it home safely.

JohnnyBmore likes this.
  2. GlockNRolla

GlockNRolla Intergalactic Booty Hunter

Very cool!!

Thank you for sharing!! :thumbsup:

3. goosefacer

goosefacer Little member

Awesome stuff! I've fund some pics of my grandpa in WWI - the men that fought for us were cut from a different cloth.

4. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

That is a very cool picture, thanks for posting.

5. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Excellent pic!!!!

Heres 1 i'll add of my dad in Okinawa,circa 1944..

He served throughtout Japan and Phillipines in the Army Aviation Corps

and was a Radio Mechanic Gunner..

[​IMG]

Climber likes this.
  6. Climber

Climber Huge member

Way Cool

Writeup & pics touched my heart, man. Well Done.
    I appreciate the details you included, and wish you good success in your continuing search.
    My deepest respects to those who fought with bravery, as your dad & his companions.
    May they not be forgotten.
    As the wartime helicopter pilot quipped:
    ~ Thousands of soldiers earned medals for bravery every day.
    A few were even awarded.
    ~

And that pic of AJD1's dad: i thot by your posts you had a bit of 'James Dean' in ya...
    Ah, the days when a semi-auto strapped to a man's chest & a short-sword standing at the ready wasn't an uncommon sight. And that's not even pulling guard duty: he's just chillin.'
    Great Pics, both.
    Thanks for the show & tell.
    Off to find some dark beer and a long blade to sharpen.
    Cheers for the unsung heroes. :3cheers:

7. OoReFLuXoO

OoReFLuXoO Little member

Perfect portrait tattoos

8. Don

Don Huge member

Awesome Pic!!!
    :thumbsup:

AJD1 likes this.
  9. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Little member

Thanks for posting. And thank you to those who serve.

10. Daffiestlime

Daffiestlime Little member

Really cool, bet he's told you loads of interesting stories about it all :D