1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Titanium Milling?

Herbinator74 Mar 1, 2017

1. Herbinator74

Herbinator74 Little member

I've been looking to put some Titanium scales on my Benchmade 51. I started off looking at the Flytanium scales available on the web, and then came across the EDC Knives Titanium 51.

It was then that I decided my 51 would look best to me if my Ti scales were essentially exact copies of the G10 scales.

The two options I have thought of are:
    Buying a set of the Solid Titanium Flytanium scales and having them milled out.

Or

Have somebody make them from scratch.

My question to you Devils is, is there anybody around the forum that does Titanium milling that I could approach about this type of job?

Has anyone else had something similar done, or done something like this; and wants to share some pictures or information?

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Buy something else.

G-man and Linos like this.
  3. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Flytanium V5 is 99.4% identical to the G10 scales.

4. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

The EDC Ti Scales are an exact copy of the original G-10 scales.
    I was involved in this project and we were given full permission from Benchmade to proceed with our project.

BM51-Ti Satin 1.JPG Copper Spacers.jpg SW Brz 1.JPG

XxGRYMMxX and Linos like this.
  5. Herbinator74

Thank you Buddha, ever the voice of consumerism.

Linos, I think you mean the V4 scales? Yeah I've been on the lookout for a set of those for a while, even posted a WTB on the voodoo.

Thegoodedge, those Ti 51s are beautiful work. I've never seen one for sale secondhand, and they look to have been sold out from retailers for quite a long time. On the EDC Knives website it mentions that the scales may one day be sold individually, but I've yet to see a set of those for sale anywhere either.

6. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

My guess is Flytaniums price point made it not worth the trouble to produce more. Only Steve (The goodedge) or Duane can really answer that question though.

My advice is the same as it's been to all 51 owners - keep it stock and buy a different knife that is titanium. Paying 300+ or whatever to cobble together a knife that doesn't even really have a valid warranty seems like a tremendous waste of money.

nostimos, thegoodedge and desmodus like this.
  7. Herbinator74

I've seen this sentiment echoed through the pages of this forum, and I think it's solid advice to a flipper who just got their first quality Bali. Realistically, by the time you put the production Flytanium scales on the 51 you could have almost bought an Alpha Beast. So why bother?

Well, when it comes down to it, the average person would probably say any knife that costs $200+ is a waste of money.

I think that to me, it would be worth an Alpha Beast to have a Ti 51. We spend the money on Alpha Beasts and Basilisks because it's worth it to us. So who's to say we're wasting our money if we get what we want out of it?

As far as the warranty goes, as long as you don't damage the knife disassembling or reassembling it, Benchmade will never be the wiser, right?

seandavid55 likes this.
  8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Buy whatever the fuck YOU want!

Karl Vogt, XxGRYMMxX and seandavid55 like this.
  9. Herbinator74

Amen!

I'm just looking for someone to buy it from!

10. Herbinator74

Edit: double post

11. Linos

upload_2017-3-2_12-46-11.png

12. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I've answered enough "halp I stripped X screw on my X balisong - how do I get it apart?" to know that plenty of folks don't have a flipping clue how to properly dissassemble a balisong. Crikes some folks still send knives off to get PB washers installed.

So far AFAIK Benchmade has played nice and fixed peoples F*ck ups I think but at some point they'll get tired of it and stop would be my guess.

Buy whatever you want like bossman said.

13. Herbinator74

I hear you there Ryanol, make no mistake though; I consider myself a student of this forum. And would like to think I could deal with a little more than a stripped screw haha.

I like to browse the old threads and read where people like you piped up to help someone who knew less with "X" problem.

I was kind of hoping someone would pop out of the woodwork like that here, and help me out too.

Anybody like machining Ti?

14. Linos

upload_2017-3-2_15-5-35.png

desmodus likes this.
  15. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

well about 5 years ago when they first came out i did a few,then everyone wanted it done cheaper and cheaper to the point it was not worth the time and hunting to buy titanium for doing it.
    then Everyone else started to do Titanium 51 scales. you should use the Search function a bit before starting another post of which i'm sure there are at least 10 of on the JDBA .
    you just might find things before you post another New Thread.

16. Herbinator74

I actually did do some searching and reading of the old threads. After reading them and learning what I could, I decided that a lot of those posts were many years old, and the information may be dated. So I thought maybe a new thread might breathe a little life into the subject.

Matt Cook was actually the first name I thought of when I had the idea to inquire about custom Ti scales. Your reputation here is nothing if not pristine.

I stumbled across one of the old threads where someone posted some pictures that can no longer be seen (broken links) of Titanium scales that you had made for them.
    All of the reactions to the now defunct pictures were that it was stunning work. However I got the impression that the process was pretty laborious for you, and you didn't plan to do that type of job again.

If you're here to say you will, then nothing would make me happier than to be able to post some brand new pictures of your work on the JD!

17. Linos

18. Herbinator74

19. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If you are hell-bent on custom ti scales for a 51, hit up HonorHer (he can also be found as StitchedSteel on IG: https://www.instagram.com/stitchedsteel/). He's a very reputable modder and longtime JD member. Haven't dealt with him personally, but I know of at least one set of ti scales he's made recently (though not for a 51).

I have no idea how much a set of custom scales runs, but I'd be surprised if they aren't significantly more than the flyti scales (or even buying the solid flyti scales and having them milled out).

20. Herbinator74

Thanks for the lead KaliSong

I'll send him a PM and see if he's interested in the job, and how he'd like to complete it if he is (from scratch, or start from solid FlyTi scales).

And of course, how many arms it will cost.