1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Tachyon II?

DeadPuppy Nov 23, 2012

1. DeadPuppy

DeadPuppy JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

But Deadpuppy, you've only had the knife for one day, and you said you liked it. Why would you attempt something like this? Because I can that's why....FOR SCIENCE!

Ok as I said in the Tach II preorder thread, I absolutely loved the knife except for 2 things: the latch and the handle finish.

The "latch gate" sorta worked for a while, but the more I flipped it, the more it wore in and the closer the latch got to the tip. As seen here, if I flipped anymore the tip would get damaged. Also, the latch was beating up the insides of the safe handle. I was having none of that, so I decided to take the latch off.

[​IMG]

The other thing was the handle finish. I liked the bead blast and all. It looked pretty good and felt nice when flipping, but dayum it showed scratches easy. This is just from riding in my pocket:

[​IMG]

Now, I realize that flipping will damage these things, but anyone that knows me knows I still try to keep my knives in good condition. I like to consider myself a noob collector who likes to flip what he collects. Well, I won't have such a nice knife looking cruddy, so I got to thinking. Last evening when I came home, my garage door battery (9V) decided to die. That got me thinking about a few examples of titanium anodizing that I had seen using 9V batteries. Using the power of the internet I found some pretty good websites and videos explaining how to do some home anodizing...So today I bought some batteries for my door opener and for anodizing.

First I had to do something about the finish, so I used a burgundy scotchbrite pad to shine up the handles. The resulting finish was a semi rough satin finish. I didn't want to go super polished because I still wanted a little bit of traction for flipping, but it's smoother than it was. I actually probably could have used some steel wool and shined it up a little more, but oh well. This was my first attempt doing "custom" work on a knife. It's hard to tell from my pics, but there was a nice difference between the beadblast and my satin finish. This made me pretty happy because I wasn't sure how the anodizing would turn out, and I was glad to know I could just buff the ano out and leave a nice finish if I messed up.

[​IMG]
    the first one. Original on top, satin finish on bottom. Sorry for the fingerprints, my hands were dusty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    original bead blast on the left, satin on the right

The actual anodizing was incredibly simple, and I'm surprised more people don't try it. When I get the block spacers for this thing (can' wait) I might even try anodizing it a different color, just for the heck of it.

The setup consists of 9V batteries connected in series (the more batteries, the higher the voltage), some aluminum foil, some alligator clips, baking soda, and distilled water. You can't dip the alligator clips in the water without getting crappy results so I had to dip the handles in like 3/4 and then turn them around and ano the other side. I ended up anodizing the handles a cool purple/gold (depending on the light) and I anodized the tip of the bitehandle a brilliant blue (for reference during flipping)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The whole process took a little over 2 hours, though it probably could have been done in less than one hour. I wanted to take my time and do it right though. I'm very happy with the result. I was afraid the ano would be splotchy and uneven, but it turned out awesome. It is evenly anodized across all of the handles. Near the pivots of one of the four handle slabs is slightly more purple than the rest, but you have to look really close to notice it.

Here are some pics, sorry for the crap quality. I'm going to take some better pics later, I was just too excited and wanted to upload these right away.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After (with not enough light):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As anybody who has tried to photograph an anodized knife knows: the pics don't really do it justice. In certain lights, the handles are a brilliant deep purple, and in others it has more of a bronze hue. It's awesome how the colors change. I tried to photograph the color change as best I could. I was going to experiment with different colors, but this was cool enough that I figure I'd let it be for a while. I anodized the tip of the bitehandle blue. At first I thought it might look corny, but it actually doesn't look too bad. The color is enough to stand out without looking out of place.

Thanks for looking!

Better pics will be up soon.

EDIT:
    Tried to take a few more pics. Turns out I have no idea to take good photos when the knife isn't silver and shiny...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I tried to get as much of a color difference as possible to show how it goes from dull, almost charcoal/purple to bronze to a deep purple in different lighting.

Since I failed at the photography, I took a video. There's a reason I don't usually do video reviews or any talking in my videos: I sound like a stuttering, lisping idiot. Try to ignore that and look at the knife!
    [YOUTUBE]_cXtNPS4RYc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
    ultrahesh, papercut, Glenn and 3 others like this.
  2. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

dude that is so awesome!

I love your setup with the batteries, very mad scientist!

I have that same plastic tub too! I use it when I drink too much! :ropeman:

Glenn likes this.
  3. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

That looks great! Don't know what's more impressive, the results, or the fact that you were first time anoing your brand new TachII. Good stuff!

Glenn likes this.
  4. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

Excellent. I am not a huge fan of ano but that looks very cool. :thumbsup:
    Great for your first attempt.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  5. kxchaput

kxchaput Huge member

Im entirely new to anodizing so forgive me for not knowing, but how did you get the insane colour variation from blue to purple

Glenn likes this.
  6. TheBombGamerTag

TheBombGamerTag BrokenBlades

Oh my gosh! Dude, that is freakin awesome! How do the handles feel with this homemade anodizing job?

Glenn likes this.
  7. DeadPuppy

Thanks everyone! While I was taking it apart I kept thinking I was insane for trying something I'd never done before on a brand new knife...thankfully it turned out alright.

The handles actually don't feel that much different from the original finish. They're slightly smoother, but they're grippy enough that they won't slip when flipping like a high polish knife would.

Different voltages correspond to different colors when anodizing titanium.
    [​IMG]
    To really get the colors you want you'd have to use a variable power supply and set it to specific voltages. I didn't have one, nor could I afford one, but 9V batteries are a good alternative. You connect them in series to increase the voltage (an additional 9V for each battery). The purple/bronze for my handles was with two 9V batteries, and the deep blue was with three. (so roughly 18 volts and 27 volts)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  8. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Looks cool, I need some more tactile feedback for bitehandle recognition but the color indicator is cool too.

Glenn likes this.
  9. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Awesome bro that looks great...I've been rolling the idea in my head doing this to my AB...could you give an update as you flip on how it holds up?!?

Glenn likes this.
  10. empyC

empyC Average member

Damn, dude. That looks great. I love the color. That purple really looks great on it.

I'm jealous. :ropeman:

11. Balis

Balis Huge member

Dude you should make a video on this! This is SICK!!

12. kxchaput

kxchaput Huge member

holy fuck. this diagram is perfect. let me kiss you

13. DeadPuppy

Some more meh pics and a video added to the original post.

14. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've got no clue how you would go about blending one colour into another but think that it would look a little better than a defined edge of the blue on the bite handle... just nit picking though. It looks like a pro job for a first timer. Well done :thumbsup:

Glenn likes this.
  15. DeadPuppy

Thanks! I'd probably like it blended too, but I don't really know how to do that with my setup. At least not well enough to look good. The problem is the ti anodizes in seconds, so I don't know how to blend it without leaving at least a small line.

If I had a variable power supply and some ti wire to use to dip the handles, I could gradually change the voltage while I pull the handle out, and then it would be a nice blend. I can't do that with 9v batteries and alligator clips though, so I just used electrical tape and made it a straight edge. It works for now.

16. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Nice ano work and tutorial. I'll have to give it a try some time. :thumbsup:

17. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

Start offering the service to others, this way you can get some funds together to buy better gear like variable supply etc or for more knives.

18. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Same thought I had!! As good as it turned out would be easy to get some support...think outside of knives also!!:thumbsup:

19. Killerstephen

Killerstephen JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This thread has me feeling inspired. I've wanted to try something like that but worry about making it look fucked up...

Good job, looks pretty cool to me.

20. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

^This^

Yeah, I've been looking up DIY anodizing stuff.:bwah: I'll have to see how I like the finish when mine arrives. Who knows.?:manganr: