1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Builds #628, and #628S...

Stuart Mitchell May 5, 2015

1. Stuart Mitchell

Stuart Mitchell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

The S stands for spike..!

A good while ago I decided to make what I'd call a Bird and Trout styled version of a knife I already make, the Muntjac...

It was steadily progressing through the workshop, no owner just a project that I wanted to try out, then I received an email from a new client, with some spec of a knife he had in mind, it sounded just like the Muntjac BT to me and after I showed him a photo of the finished blade, sat awaiting it's handle, he agreed...

What this fella does though is falconry, a lot of it, flying a few different birds, to use alongside the Muntjac BT he wanted a despatching spike, to safely and effectively deal with struggling game that his bird had pinned down and wasn't minded to let go of...

Picture the scene, kicking and struggling prey with the talons of the hawk firmly attached and not going anywhere, yopu get in there with a knife blade and something is going to get cut, maybe something you don't want to cut, a point with smoothed edges is likely to make much less accidental damage...

So, with the Muntjac BT already serialised as #628, #628S was designed as it's partner...

Here they are...

[​IMG]

Both are made from 1/8" stock SF100 stainless...

[​IMG]

Both get blaze orange G10 over tapering tangs, the G10 secured by swaged stainless tubes...

[​IMG]

The Muntjac BT has a blade of around 3.5", the spike closer to 5.5"...

[​IMG]

Sheathing next, both are to get Kydex...

I'll keep you posted...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Very interesting!

3. Stuart Mitchell

Stuart Mitchell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

These arrived back from sheathing at the start of the week...

rapidboy was charged with the sheathing and he really pulled it out of the bag with this pair in my opinion, requested were two individual Kydex sheaths, spotting that the shapes and sizes of the knives/sheaths lent themselves perfectly to a piggy back type double he went ahead and made them that way...

[​IMG]

Both are ambidextrous too, the loops reversible for L or R hand belt carry...

[​IMG]

The perfect carry options with all covered, they can be worn individually, one at a time, even one on each side of the belt is doable, or of course worn as the over and under pair...

[​IMG]

Then this just in from the client finishes the deal... :)

Stuart, they arrived, absolutely perfect, I had high expectations but they're even better. Thank you so much for your work!

[​IMG]