1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Critters that I've encountered here in the desert

perado Jul 21, 2009

1. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Last month, my wife and I went out to dinner at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum for one of their Saturday Nights. I had forgotten to bring my UV flashlight, since I hadn't found anything around the house in several searches.

As we followed the paths around, it amazed me how many people did bring them...and how many scorpions there were in and around the stone walls on either side of much of the paths.

I'll sure never wear sandals in the desert at night ever again.

Those big scorps will certainly give you a painful sting, but it's the little bark scorpions that can do you in.

2. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Finally got to see some more critters moving around:

[​IMG]

Then this guy came zooming out of the brush, turned around and watched for a while, then went back in in hunting mode:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Glock Samson

Glock Samson Little member

I came across one of those Palo Verde beetles under a bridge about a month ago, and it had been years since I had seen one before it.
    I personally always imagined them to have an extremely painful bite, judging by its mandibles.

Your lucky to live in Tuscon, as I live in Glendale and all the good wildlife comes around rarely, especially since they poured cement over all the fields around my house and put up that lousy traffic-choked Cardinals stadium (literally across the street from me).

This is all I have for wildlife photos now, thanks to a virus wiping my last drive. Nothing noteworthy compared to whats been posted already.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

If you're still seeing PV beetles this far into the winter, it must be a lot warmer up there. I seldom see them here later than September.

5. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Clark's spiny lizard in a mesquite tree (middle of town).

[​IMG]

6. Planterz

Baby ornate tree lizard (middle of town).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fully grown ornate tree lizard (Vail, AZ).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Planterz

These 2 pics have a story behind them. About a year ago, my parents moved from Vail to San Diego. I was helping my dad load up the U-Haul, and we were emptying a side-room. This room wasn't exactly inside the house, but not exactly outside either. Sort of like a deck, but covered and with windows, but it wasn't connected to AC/heat vents either. Anyway...

We were loading the rear bench seat to my dad's van, which was folded forward. He jokingly says "grab that end, I don't think there's anything living in there, huh huh huh". Since this room is sorta "outside", I'm dubious and cautious.

Sure enough, I look at the end he told me to grab, and I see this little beauty by the seat belt.

[​IMG]

I dispose of the mariticidal bitch, and it occurs to me that there might be something else hiding in there, so I unfold the seat.

[​IMG]

Under UV.

[​IMG]

8. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Nice lizards! Great Critters! tnx and more please :yesman:

9. Planterz

Not a particularly great picture (the little buggers are skittish and won't sit around while you try to get good focus on them), but here's a Mediterranean House Gecko.

When I first saw it, it was actually hanging upside-down on the underside of a stairwell. In this pic it's on a vertical surface. When they're little (this one was barely over an inch in body) they're almost translucent.

[​IMG]

These are extremely common around here, and they thrive where humans dwell. They're the only non-native lizard in Arizona. The first time I saw one inside my house after moving to AZ, I tried to pick it up to take it outside. It immediately dropped its tail (called autotomy), which continued to wriggle around on its own. Freaked me right the fuck out, even though I'd heard of it before (yay Zoobooks!). 1267261_483757465052879_1971716375_o.jpg

10. Alabama

Alabama Average member

Fantastic pics. Gotta love the desert.

Florida's the opposite extreme but with some of the same reptiles, just in green.

Thanks to Endangered Species laws there are now officially more alligators in Florida than human beings.

Saw a couple on the neighborhood suburban golf course the other day. Was too busy putting distance between me and them to get a shot.

You've got some beauty lizards there.

11. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Cool little Dude there P.

In Hawaii they're considered good luck when they hang out inside and eat bugs.
    GECKO LINK.

Every now and then one will *chirp* audibly...

[video=youtube;pApRHfWZhzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pApRHfWZhzw[/video]

12. Planterz

My old links to some of my pics are dead, so here's some fresh ones of the highlights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next 3 pics of the same scorpion. Flash only.
    [​IMG]

UV + Flash
    [​IMG]

UV only
    [​IMG]

My parents' "pet" gila monster.
    [​IMG]

13. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Love that Gila Monster. Looks *beaded*.

I grew up in SW Fla, on the edge of the Everglades and 10,000 Islands. We had lots of Critter. Even Saltwater Crocodiles.

But will never forget my first encounter with a Gila Monster on a fire down in Arizona. While we shot pics, he hissed and carried on like he meant business.
    We let him be, after putting a good wetline of water around his position for some protection.

Just a neat reptile I had only seen pics of in books...

14. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

We haven't had much in the way of clouds for sunsets lately, so I had my new Sony out to see what it could do. The bird caught my eye. I could only catch two shots before he flew over the house next door. I'm pretty sure it was the same guy who stopped in a palm a few hundred feet away a night or two earlier. I apologize for the quality of that one. It was after sundown and it was an offhand shot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Oh, Niice. :yesman:

16. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Well, Spring has sprung and it appears the hawks were productive. I've spotted these two young'uns taking over the branch that the older ones used to favor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lizard dinner
    [​IMG]

Good to the last dr...err tail end
    [​IMG]

Brave Blackbird
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

And then there are the Coyotes
    [​IMG]

Hard to see
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. pad2

pad2 Helps enable Mr.LaBella's addictions Brigade Member

neat pics of the coyotes! ... lookin' pretty well fed.

19. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Little fucker have jaws like a vice. Once they decide they want something, good luck getting them off. There is another species, called the beaded lizard, that is kind of similar. Up until recently, it was thought that the two species were the only venomous lizards on the planet. Recent studies have changed that, but I believe they are still the only two in the US.

20. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Been a while since I posted anything new, but the camera's usually right at hand.
    I finally got a picture of deer in this park. I've seen them several times, but they're usually gone before I can get the camera up. Yes, they're ass-end shots, but I took what I could get.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have Pronghorn's too. And I thought that deer were fast...
    [​IMG]

A Chimera bird.:devilzeek
    [​IMG]

Male and female Phainopeplas
    Male
    [​IMG]
    Female
    [​IMG]

Another Pyrrohluxia (a little less scary looking)
    [​IMG]

And, last but not least, another Gila Monster. It had just crossed the road and was in the brush on the steep hillside. Light and shrubberies conspired to mess up most of the pics, but these were okay. Judging by size and lack of scars, I believe this one to be pretty young.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ded i and GEEZER like this.