1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Critters that I've encountered here in the desert

perado Jul 21, 2009

1. MTSpace

MTSpace Little member

Fantastic pics of some of the Sonoran deserts finest critters! I especially like the black-light scorpion pics, as well as the vinegaroon, you don't see to many of those.

I, too, dwell in this arid land. :deadevil:

2. Wolverton

Wolverton Board smartass

If you want to see lots of vinegaroons and other bugs and critters, drive quiet roads at night during the monsoons. You'll see all kinds of stuff.

3. P. McKinley

P. McKinley knifemaker formerly known as "Dacks" Knife Maker or Craftsman

Perado - Just a bit off topic, but...

Have you ever wandered around in the Kofa NWR?

I've spent some time in some pretty rugged, wild, and unforgiving places, but this place is in a class of its own. I spent two weeks way back into the mountains from Quartzite a while back. Hot, dry, shadeless, dry, un-fucking-navigable, dry, Jumping Cholla infested, dry, waterless, dry, physically demanding........ its got it all.

Fascinating place!
    Incredible challenge!
    Memorable experience!!

4. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Not yet, Dacks, but I plan on a trip to Quartzite in February. The camera is semi-permanently attached. We'll see what kind of greeting I get.

5. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

I guess I shouldn't leave out the things around the house.

This is a Palo Verde beetle. It's also called a B-52 bug. You can tie thread around them and fly them like a semi-RC plane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This hawk spent some time around the yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  6. edcforme

edcforme Huge member

Purty Bird! Also very interesting beetle. My family would never see me in the house cause I'd be out back flipping rocks looking for critters. Keep the pictures coming!

7. lancea

lancea Little member

Back to the termite photo. I live in SoCal, and have had 2 of those guys running through our living room. I was told by an entomologist that they are called "Whip Scorpions", others have referred to them as Sun Spiders, although they are not spiders. They appear to be the same family as the Camel Spiders from the Middle East. I can tell you they are aggressive as heck, and will bite the holy crap out of you if you make the mistake of picking one up. The "Bug Guy" told me that they were in our house because my wife, a middle school science teacher, had a large terrarium with a lot of crickets in it , and apparently the little scorpions LOVE them.

Lance

8. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Back with a few more birds and a coyote:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

And I forgot these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Phainopepla and a woodpecker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a semi-domesticated roadrunner named Sedgewick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
    Wolverton likes this.
  11. edcforme

edcforme Huge member

this has to be my favorite picture thread!

12. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Oink oink oink.

13. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

EDC, it can't be near as much fun as it is going out to take the pix.

Aaron, I keep hearing that there are both Javelina and deer west of the Tucsons, but I haven't yet seen any. Bow hunting season, so maybe they're hiding.

14. Moony

Moony Little member

love the UV pics thats awesome!

15. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Smore
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this guy again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Kill it!! Kill it with fire!!!1!

Called a giant crab spider. Leg span on this guy was about 3-3.5". She kinda looks like Jamie Hyneman, doesn't she? Crab-spider.jpg

17. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Breaking down after a sunset, I turned around and found this little javelina rooting around the picnic area.
    [​IMG]

Stopped to take a leak and found a surprize.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know what flavor this one is, but it's not a rattler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the beggar is back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some snakes...errr snacks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
  18. WT351

WT351 Lone Star Moderator Super Moderator

Great pictures!

[​IMG]

I believe this is referred to as a Gopher snake in your part of the country. I've also heard it referred to as a Gopher snake up north. It's very similar to what we call a rat snake around here. Very useful for keeping the food supply under control so that the more troublesome snakes stay away. They can be quite aggressive for a non-venomous snake though.

19. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

I had stopped to look at a new sign when this Pyrrhuloxia went bull-goose looney. She was kinda scary looking to start with.

[​IMG]

This started well before I started recording and kept up after. Sorry it requires that you click on it. It's about a minute-and-a-half.

[video]http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/perado/Critters%20%20and%20bugs%20and%20flowers/?action=view&current=P7280098-1.mp4[/video]

20. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

And a dirt eating desert turtle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 45 seconds of tasty dirt and rock.
    [video]http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/perado/Critters%20%20and%20bugs%20and%20flowers/?action=view&current=P8080121.mp4[/video]