1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Critters that I've encountered here in the desert

perado Jul 21, 2009

1. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

My dad found this little guy in the yard. ID'd as a juvenile male western diamondback.

2. craythegray

craythegray Better than gold or platinum

Dude,

Nice snake!

SEXY!!!!!

3. Amotek

Amotek Eerie Ver Sable Brigade Member

There are a few of these around too. The beaded lizards are fairly scarce, I've only seen two and one was fresh road kill!

4. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

That appears to be a Vinegaroon; a Whip Scorpion. I've seen a couple, but that was before I had a camera welded on.

5. Planterz

My dad took this shot the other night. They keep filling the hummingbird feeder every day; even though they only see a hummingbird once in a while, the feeder is empty every morning. They finally figured out why.

[​IMG]

6. firepowerfox

firepowerfox Foxy Devil Lady Devil

That is a great pic, it's like looking at National Geographic. I used to want a pet bat at one time.

7. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Great shot, Planterz. I can't get my digi-cam to flash that quickly.

8. Planterz

It's not really a matter of speed, more a matter of timing. They swoop in, usually from below, and then hover at the feeder for a brief moment (less than a second), then fly away. If you can press the button to take the picture as they swoop in, you the picture/flash goes when they're right there. Mostly it's hit-and-miss. I thought that maybe my dad got 1 lucky picture out of dozens, but he actually took dozens with at least one bat in the shot.

Here's some of the better ones.

2 at once:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 at once:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Planterz

As you can see though, those shots are kinda grainy. My dad, hardly being a professional photographer, had heard that high number ISO settings are best for night shots. So naturally he had it set at the camera's max, 1600.:devilzeek

I informed him that when he's taking a picture of something 4 feet away with a flash, you don't need so high a setting. He turned it all the way down to 60, and the difference is obvious. Unfortunately, it was sprinkling off-and-on all night, so there weren't many bats coming by, and this was the only decent shot we managed to get.

[​IMG]

double-edge likes this.
  10. Kura

Kura The Devil’s bloodline

They almost look like they are made of rubber or plastic

11. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

I was putting a shot together when I noticed what looked like termite concrete on the lower part of the Saguaro on the right.
    [​IMG]

I knocked some of it away and, yessir, lots of termites.
    [​IMG]

I knocked away a little more and found this guy lurking under the concrete. I imagine he was in hog heaven until I came along. He didn't stay long enough for a second picture. REALLY long front legs are folded up under there.
    [​IMG]

Last week, in the same picnic area, I came back to the Jeep to find a bunch of little thingies on the hood.
    [​IMG]

At first, I thought they were seed pods, but looking closer, they're really streamlined little bugs. I think the engine heat killed them when they landed; I saw no others on the top or on the ground around it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. edcforme

edcforme Huge member

Vinegaroon!! Awesome creature! I have one in my collection. I'd love to have a couple more! Fairly blind, they've adapted a set of legs into long "feelers". They spray a mild acid with there long tail that smells like Malt Vinegar (thus the name).

13. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Yesterday I met this guy:

[​IMG]

Then, today I came across this tiny little guy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ded i likes this.
  14. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Thanks. In the few seconds I could see it, I never saw its tail nor its pinchers; it became obvious when I compared pictures.

Doc Pringles likes this.
  15. Doc Pringles

Doc Pringles The Devilz Doctor Brigade Member

Great thread Perado.

Keep it up.:semper:

16. Byakuya

Byakuya Average member

That looks allot like a solifugae (red roman, sunspider).
    They are found in all desert or dry areas of the world. I for one are shit-scared of them cause they chase you. They actually just don't want to be in any form of light so they chase your shaddow. Now is not the right time of the year otherwise I would have you ours.

17. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

EDCFORME has it right, it's a Vinegaroon, or Whip Scorpion.

Phainopepla
    [​IMG]

Kissing Bug?
    [​IMG]

Javelina
    [​IMG]

Tarantula Hawk (Too nervous to let me get close or even get set with the zoom.)
    [​IMG]

18. Greatwhite

Greatwhite Huge member

Perado,
    Those are some fantastic shots man, you're really good with a camera!

In the first post, the pics of the Illegals, those are NOT backpacks full of worldly goods on the backs of hungry people looking for jobs...

That's Mexicos' cash crop, Marijuana.

I can tell you I have spent at least 13 weeks of the last year as an armed P.S.C. on the Arizona/Mexico border, and that shit has got to stop.

If we keep letting them (Mules for Mexicos' drug cartels) get across our border, what's gonna keep the Taliban/Alqueda from using it too?

I say shut it down, mine it, and put armed patrol with rules of engagement on our side. Just like Gitmo. Bay, Cuba.

Just my .o2 tho....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010
  19. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Thanks. When I trapse south or west of here, I add a rifle to my inventory.

There is plenty of evidence that numerous crossings have been made by persons from "countries of interest," and that, with the assistance of the cartels, continue to do so.

A country can't survive without secure borders.

20. Wolverton

Wolverton Board smartass

Great photos!