1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Critters that I've encountered here in the desert

perado Jul 21, 2009

1. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

[​IMG][​IMG] Getting more and more common to see.

[​IMG] [​IMG] This guy was hanging around the house for a couple of days. Got him in the Palo Verde in the front yard, then on the wall in back.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This Gila Monster was just meandering across the road with traffic missing her (I think) by inches.

[​IMG] And this sucker was on my knee, so I decided to try the super macro function.

2. Frstr8

Frstr8 First Rate JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Awesome pictures! thanks for posting them. The desert has some kewl critters for sure.

3. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

Great Pics Perado.
    Love that little fly thingy in the last pic. That's a fine camera you must be using to pick that detail out.:devilzeek

4. Cadi Con Carne

Cadi Con Carne Kwitcherbitchin' Lady Devil

A friend of mine sees a lot of the first sort in his yard...since he can't run them off with a firearm anymore, he settled for a slingshot and a pouch of ball bearings.

The hawk and the gila are awesome. Both are good for keeping your rat population down!

And for the knee bug? Great shot, but still, *squish*!

5. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Thank you.

The camera for all but the guys with the backpacks is an Olympus SP550UZ. It's a glorified point-and-shoot with 7.1MP and an 18X optical zoom. It works pretty well for me. I usually have it everywhere I go.

6. Chris Martin

Chris Martin phantom devil Knife Maker or Craftsman

Yep,

AZ sure does have a place for critters! I sure do miss home/Phoenix.

We used to go out and catch scorpions and tarantulas at night. Great place there desert!!!

Awesome pics and thanks for sharring.

45W

7. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

My parents' house is in Vail (a few miles SE of Tucson), and they've got a few critters running around.

The tarantula was crawling up the garage door when we were backing up and opening it. It crawled into the corner, and for a moment, was sitting literally 5" below a black widow sitting on her web (unfortunately we didn't get a picture of that.

[​IMG]

Their "pet" gila monster lives in their shed.

[​IMG]

8. Chris Martin

Chris Martin phantom devil Knife Maker or Craftsman

Cool!!

You never know what you may find in AZ....lol

9. ecustomknife.com

ecustomknife.com Average member

No words required

just a new pair of boxers!

10. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Tarantulas are neat-o :devil1:

11. BlazenGem

BlazenGem child prodigy

Holy shit!

that is a nightmare come true. Huge fucking spiders!

12. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Ditto what BlazenGem said! Them Gila Monsters might just enter into my nightmares, too!

13. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

Now, they are some interesting cool Critters you have shared with us!! Cool Indeed! Thanks for sharing!:devil1:

14. Don Halter

Don Halter knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Cool pics! I have lots of mojave rattle snake pics from a jobsite in Northern AZ.

That fly thingy is a robber fly. We have some pretty big ones down here in TX also. They steal insects from ground wasps.

15. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Went scorpion hunting tonight at my parents' in Vail. In about an hour and 45 minutes we saw 13, with 7 being on the property (the rest on the sides of the roads nearby). Some were barely even an inch long. The biggest were maybe 2". These were the best pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flash only:
    [​IMG]

Flash + UV:
    [​IMG]

UV only:
    [​IMG]

All pics taken with my Sony Ericsson 905a 8.1MP camera cell phone. UV flashlight is a custom 395nm Cree 1W. Apart from resizing from 3264 x 2448 to 1290 x 960 they have been unedited.

Doc Pringles likes this.
  16. Doc Pringles

Doc Pringles The Devilz Doctor Brigade Member

I love this thread. Thanks for bumping it Planterz.

I can’t believe you guys took pictures of Gila Monsters. I have trekked over hundreds of Sonoran Desert miles and have only run into two that I could see. My thought was NOT “get the camera.” The desert is less dangerous than many think when you have an understand of each critter. They are all beautiful and unique surviving in such a harsh environment. I love them all for many reasons, but that one is tops. I learned how they acquire water in the driest parts of the year. Each one different. Evolution has been kind to those that remain.

When it comes to Gila Monsters, I turn and walk the other way. I don’t fuck with that one.

17. SCALPHUNTER

SCALPHUNTER Little member

Nice pics...enjoyed them a lot.

18. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

Just after sunset, walk into a Mesquite bosque and turn on a flashlight. All those tarantulas that you didn't know were there will have their eyes reflecting back to make it look like somebody spilled a bag of diamonds.

Okay, if you're askeered of them, that's a bad idea. Nevermind.

19. ronrod71

ronrod71 Level: True Devil

I've seen plenty of everything there except a Gila Monster. I've lived here in AZ for 7 years and never seen one. A buddy lived in AZ since birth (34 years) said he's never seen one either. You got two different ones on camera, I guess I got to visit Tucson for the cool stuff.
    :semper:

20. craythegray

craythegray Better than gold or platinum

Thanks for sharing your pics.

There are allot of very cool ones in this thread.

I love the OPs first set of pictures.

The scorp and spider are really great as well.

Here are some pesky animals that have invaded my living room!

[​IMG]