1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Convexing edges......easier than I thought.

Kalooch135 Apr 1, 2008

1. Kalooch135

Kalooch135 Fireman Ken

I own quite a few Barkies and these Barkies have convex edges. Everyone who's into Bark River knives knows this. I never owned a convex edge knife until I got a BRK. I found out quickly that you cannot sharpen them like "normal" knives. I then searched out Reid's convex sharpening tutorial. After reading that golden nugget of info I sharpened all of my BK knives and then convexed pretty much everything else! I got everything down to 1000 grit but I need to get the BRK&T sharpening compound before I can be truly finished with my edges. They shave hair but I'm sure I can do better. I practiced on some beaters that I own but now those bastards are so sharp I may put them back into rotation.

2. bigmark408

bigmark408 BANNED Fucktard

A convex edge is definately the sharpest i have run across...congrats on your new found skill.

3. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ditto to this, Reid and I went over this while chowing omlettes. It's so easy I cannot believe it.

A formerly useless Spyderco Native with a 440V steel, also known as S60V is now screaming sharp and Mike tells me it ought to stay that way indefinitely. All it needed was a little wet-dry 500 grit, some black compound and some green. Took about five minutes.

4. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

I've got grit paper up to 1200 and got some 'micromesh' kit that goes up to 8000. So do I need leather or paste?

5. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Both.

hell, I use whatever wet-dry i can find in the basement, one grit, I think about 400-500 or so, then move onto the black and then the green compound on leather.

One can get anal about this, but do you want to use the knife or spend the time making it pretty?

6. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

For those who haven't seen it:

Convex Sharpening
    the
    BRKCA Way!

7. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

I've done the same with most of my knives since last Oct's JD Grind In. Nothin' else really matters anymore when it comes to the sharpening shit I have. 1200 grit to start, unless the edge is really bad, then finish with 2000 grit. Then I strop on a leather belt with Green compound.

And they stay sharp, too!:madaddy::mack:

8. richard j

richard j grumpy knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

a power strop for convex edge knives and guthooks

ken, try this to put the finishing touches on your convex edges. i fixed up a power strop for sharpening guthooks but it will work for convex edge knives. all you need is a dremel tool and a piece of thick leather 2" in diamater and at least 1/8" thick. if you dont have an arbor you can just attach it direct to the shaft of the dremel by placing washers down on the shaft and a washer on top of the leather disc that you put a hole in until the collet nut gets tight. make sure to clamp the blade flat to a table with something under the blade to raise it up a little. put some compound on the wheel and run it in the direction of the edge going the full length until the whole edge shines. the same method will work for a guthook. anyone who isnt quite sure of what i mean can contact me for more details. [​IMG]