1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Collector's Knife Preservation

Joker188 Sep 11, 2018

1. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Greetings Devils,
    Please redirect if previously covered. I'm currently en route to take delivery on a knife I plan to neither flip nor carry. I will open it manually to verify the condition as advertised and amount of play. I want to wipe the blade with Eezox then lubricate the pivots with Nano-Oil 10 wt before wrapping it back up in the tissue paper and boxing it. Aside from the aforementioned and storage in a dry cool place, does anyone have suggestions on retaining the value of a mint condition bali?

Sincerely,
    Joker

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Thanos74 likes this.
  2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That's definitely adequate.

If you live in a very humid place I'd repeat twice a year.

Thanos74 and subtlemovement like this.
  3. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Des is right; take it out a couple times per year and baby it a little. This is especially important if the blade isn't stainless. I personally don't even keep my Arc-Angles or other high-carbon balisongs in my pelican case - even though the knife is closed when you store it, the foam slots will rub off the oil on the horns/exposed tang upon insertion, leaving only a hair-thin layer of oil on the surface. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Also, give the balisong a silica gel packet to cuddle with when you wrap it in tissue.

HedaCoon likes this.
  4. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

Silica for dayssssss!

Thanos74 and subtlemovement like this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

ren wax

6. subtlemovement

Oh, yeah! I used to coat my AA's in wax for storage. I stopped doing it because whenever I'd take them out to flip, chaps were just pointless with a waxy spine (+rest of blade). Now that I don't flip them as often, I think I'll give 'em a wax job when I get home, then they can live in the Pelican case again :D Thanks Benny! <3

Thanos74 and BennytheBlade like this.
  7. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

Screw that. Carbonite for dayssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

[​IMG]

PS-RagE, Joker188, Thanos74 and 4 others like this.
  8. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Thank you devils. The knife in question is Basilisk Elite Gold.

Heard what you said, Subtlemovement, about the pelican case foam taking off oil from the handles. Unlike the white box Basilisk R which nestled the knife in tissue paper, the black box Elite Gold/Black came sandwiched between two pieces of foam. I understand the S35VN blade is Titanium Nitride coated and the Ti handles are PVD coated. How does this play into the scenario?

9. subtlemovement

Oh, boy. Well unless you live in a pineapple under the sea, you can just leave that bad boy in the box and never touch it again. No real need to wax it at all. You could distribute a single tiny drop of mineral oil over the blade (particularly the edge) if you like (or you could run the edge through a block of wax), but keeping it naked in the box with a silica packet or two would serve you just fine. Hom knives withstand the test of time.

Thanos74 likes this.
  10. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Thank you.

Thanos74 likes this.
  11. Thanos74

Thanos74 Should be a custom title here

:bobert:

12. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

I'm surprised the Basilisk wasn't superimposed on the photo.

Thanos74 likes this.