1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

collecting

Ol'Sluggy Jul 27, 2017

1. Ol'Sluggy

Ol'Sluggy JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Hey guys,

I am very new to collecting, but have amassed a significant collection within about two months. I have just under 200 pieces, but not a ton of customs. I did get the A2 A6 collaboration between the two Andres, and the HB LL15. BHQ just got a run in recently, had some Thorburn, Van Heerden, and several A2 collabs. I really wanted to get the A7 but funds were tight. Thorburn has a sick collab w Taschi, the m44, on recon1 or steel addiction.

They seem to be universallly considered among the top flippers, equal to an RJ36. I think they are the best in terms of price/value ratio.

The most expensive custom I have is a TB Beggatti Star Strike. Favorites are the Diskin Wheel DA and Diskin Revolution DA. Also love the custom DOC Killswitch auto.

My true passion has turned to balis. I have three ABs, two Flyti 62s, two Flyti 51s, Flyti 32, Nathan Dewey deviant, barebones CMF mod. I like to buy in twos when I can for flipping w two hands.

dominico and begreen61 like this.
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I love the rush of buying that next blade ,

Shike likes this.
  3. dominico

dominico Little Member

200 pieces in a few months' time? You've blown me me out of the water and I thought I was going overboard with 8 knives over the last few months. Better show pics or I don't believe you :-)

Mostly folders and balis then?

A Todd Begg Beggatti Star Strike, probably the most beautiful knife I've ever seen. I wanted one of those for a long time, I finally decided to stop chasing after it once I realized that it would be too beautiful (and too big) for me to actually use as a carry knife. I do have 3 Todd Begg knives however, all in the Steelcraft Series. I have a Kwaiken, Bodega (black and gold fluted pattern version) and a Mini Bodega (blue and gold "fishscale") pattern. My wife stole the mini bodega and declared that her anniversary present. I really love the look of the full size Bodega, but then again, just a little to big for me to use as an EDC. I like the kwaiken, perfect EDC size for me, also a snazzy knife, just not quite as snazzy as the Bodegas, if only they made a Bodega at a size in between the full size and the mini.

begreen61 likes this.
  4. Ol'Sluggy

hey Begreen:) thanks so much for all the kind words. Yeah, I don't recommend going about it the way I have, unless u have a ton of money and good self control. I have neither LoL

Yeah, I got the star strike from a forum (my first ever forum purchase) I absolutely love it. But it's too beautiful and too big and heavy to use IMO.

The Steelcraft series IMO represent some the absolute best bang for the buck. I have the field marshal and mini bodega. Dying to get the bodega, kwaiken and glimpse. They are just as beautiful and functional as most customs. Plus they hit that sweet spot where u don't have to afraid to carry them, but they are still showy and functional.

My real love now is balis. Followers by custom, midtech and production autos, then folders. I especially like custom DA autos. Matt Diskin makes insane knives, and protech has some amazing collaborations!

Best,
    JZ

begreen61 likes this.
  5. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You know what I say and it's basically true ,,, I never seen a knife I didn't like,,, and I might be poor but I'm rich in knives .

Ol'Sluggy likes this.
  6. dominico

dominico Little Member

I am waiting for a steelcraft version of the glimpse to come out in a color scheme that I like. The Kwaiken as I said before is the perfect size for me. I had intended on doing a catch-release on it since I got it at a really good deal, but have decided to keep it because I like it too much. My Steelcraft Bodega on the other hand may find itself on the for sale forum soon, its flawless, but too big for me to carry comfortably. z

As far as balis go I once had a significant collection but that has shrunk down to the 3 knives I really love to flip: a HOM Specter, HOM Bas R (modded) and a FlyTi 62 (V1). That's not to say though that I won't find the urge to buy more balis soon, I still flip every day, and sometimes I get curious about other knives I haven't handled yet.

Ol'Sluggy likes this.
  7. Ol'Sluggy

I would love to find a steelcraft kwaiken at a good price. And man what I would give for aHOM! Sounds like u have a stellar collection !