1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Coal forge advice

P. McKinley Apr 28, 2012

1. P. McKinley

P. McKinley knifemaker formerly known as "Dacks" Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've been looking to purchase a coal forge to compliment my gasser. I've found on on the local Kijiji pages and since I don't know a whole lot about this type of set up was hoping for a bit of advice.
    Listed as "Champion Forge and blower" - $300.00.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Canadian-blower-forge-co-LTD-W0QQAdIdZ373320171

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a second one:

Listed as: "I have a Canadian blower & forge co LTD, "Blacksmith" it was made in kitchener ontario, they started making these in 1877 and stopped making them in 1952. The one i got is about a hundred years old." $300.00.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Canadian-blower-forge-co-LTD-W0QQAdIdZ373320171

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worth the price? How much clean up can I expect to get this in tip-top shape?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

2. Leatherface

Leatherface leatherface Knife Maker or Craftsman

U can make a LIvely style forge for around $20.00 or so...works like charm for blades

3. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

That's not a bad setup for the price. But if the gears in the blower are going bad, it may be too much.

4. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Word. Do they have scrap yards in Canada?

5. Everything Mac

Everything Mac Huge member

$300 to me seems a little bit high but certainly not extortionate.

Can you go check them out? If so make sure the gears in the blower are working well and it provides a good steady flow of air.

Just by the pics I'd favour the top one which seems to have a much deeper pan, this would mean you could store more coke and maintain a larger fire.

Check if the top one has a method of allowing clinker (shite which forms from waste in the forge) to drop though.
    You'd have to remove this manually in the bottom forge.

Not a big deal either way.

Check for any obvious signs of damage - if the pan looks particularly thing or rusted out it may cause you issues.

Do you have access to electricity in your workshop? If so then you may want to switch over to an electric blower (I use a hair drier) as constantly winding a hand blower can be a pain in the arse.

Depends what you want the forge for really? If a casual work horse is what you want for a bit of play time every now and then, I would suggest looking into the lively forge.
    edit - link:
    http://www.timlivelyknives.com/washtubforge.htm

But if you want something a bit more solid for more regular use then one of the above is worth investing in.

Mine is an upturned cast iron man-hole cover with a blower in one corner. It's served me well enough for years.

[​IMG]

All the best
    Andy

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  6. Everything Mac

Everything Mac Huge member

Did you get this sorted?

7. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Dude, keep the money for buying steel. I made my charcoal forge for about $30 from an old gas grill, cement, refrac (home made), and clay pipe (piece of chimney flu).

Let us know how you did.

Jim L.