1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

CNC’d Bali’s vs Hand done Bali?

Justin McNeill Nov 12, 2020

1. Justin McNeill

Justin McNeill Upgraded Member JDBA Official Member

Is Hom CNC’d?
    Is JK Design CNC’d?
    I know Bladerunners are I’m pretty sure
    Squid industries is ....
    DC Bladeworks?

I’m just curious

2. Dudeofthedead1334

Dudeofthedead1334 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I'm not sure about DC or Hom (I know he occasionally has special blades and customs) JK I believe is CNC although I know some of his blades are hand-ground. I'd be interested on the answer to this as well especially since JK work is pretty high end. Squid is CNC which makes sense

Justin McNeill likes this.
  3. Justin McNeill

It seems crazy that the JK designs cost so much being CNC’d. I guess I’ll have to try and flip one one day

4. Dudeofthedead1334

Squid is CNC f
    I'm 98% sure they're machined, seems a little crazy to me too, only flipped a gigas and that was pretty bomb. My planarian was hand done other than a water jet, it was a similar price, so I wonder if it takes similar work hours or something like that in which case I would understand the price similarity. Other than that since the mats don't change, I guess it would just be because it's limited production??? I can't tell ya

Justin McNeill likes this.
  5. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

They all are in some way some more than others lots of steps involved
    Jk yes blade included with some hand ground blades
    Dc gets parts cnc milled then finish by hand
    Hom has to be squid def
    Doing things by hand is time consuming
    Cnc milling is expensive
    time vs money

6. Dudeofthedead1334

Thanks for that answer, I knew there was some reason that CNC could end up being in similar price territory to handcrafted customs

7. Justin McNeill

I guess I’m more fond for the handmade crafted stuff. One of a kind...
    and that goes beyond just Bali’s.

8. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

They are very different skill sets, but most definitely skills. Each requiring time, effort and money to learn. Both with machinery that is expensive. I think that humans themselves have aptitudes for different things and learning in different styles.

That being said, its pretty cool that products manufactured by/from such different methods can bring us badass end products.

I of course have my preferences, but I very much respect both.

9. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Just to be safe...

I assume everybody is CNC/Machine/3DPrinted/etc.

UNLESS it is a custom where the maker sends me the WIP...

Pic 1 = slab of steel
    Pic 2 = them cutting the blank
    Pic 3 = them grinding it

***Not saying if semi-custom is better than a custom (or vice versa)

10. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I’ve owned handmade knives that were technically perfect. I’ve owned handmade knives that were always just a little off, if you know what I mean. If you’re looking at any knife that has any sort of quantity behind it, assume it has little human intervention in the process.

11. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i’m not against cnc at all but don’t ask the fucking moon for it, otherwise piss on a robot