1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Chemo is a Bitch!

Clydetz May 9, 2010

1. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I have completed 4 sessions of chemo and while the sessions themselves are a piece of cake, the fucking side effects can be a Bitch! I've had (in order):
    - beard stopped growing (not too bad - haven't shaved since April)
    - loss of head hair (it was expected)
    - loss of pubic hair (what?)
    - sore mouth and trouble swallowing (affected what food I could eat)
    - fatigue (really affects motivation)
    - low red & white blood cell counts led to two units of blood transfused (unexpected)
    - swelling of foot & ankle (have to drink lots of water... so no surprise)
    - dry & peeling hands (strange)
    - both large toenails became discolored and got a couple of blisters on toes (now I walk real funny)
    - I'm sure there were a couple more effects but I'm waiting for what's next
    edited to add @ 8:30pm:
    - forgot the constipation and diarrhea episodes (they were a pain in the ass!)

They tell me eventually these effects will right themselves but it's also possible the toenails will fall off before they grow back. Fuck!!!! Four more sessions to go of chemo... hope my dick don't fall off!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
    GODDESS OF VENGEANCE and Glenn like this.
  2. the swamp fox

the swamp fox Enormous member

God speed brother. All the best!!!

The Swamp Fox

3. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Gary,

It is really strange how differently it can effect people.

I never heard of the Toenail thing before.

Is the peeling of the Skin on your hands a normal reaction ?

I'm sure you will get through it O.K.

Please let us know what else you observe from it.

As Stats go more than half the people here on the forum willl have to go through it too.

Mike

4. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

hopefully you finish your treatments and back to "normal" (LOL) quick!!

5. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

Hope they pass quick man! All the best from the Lezard clan!

A guy a work went through it, and it messed up his taste buds, and smell. Foods he hated he would eat, and favorites made him gag.

6. Michelle

Michelle m1 Lady Devil

Oh Gary. I am sooooo sorry you are going through this.

I really am. My heart and prayers are with you.

Everything you listed sounds like it sucks....... except for the loss of pubic hair. Women pay good money, and suffer a lot of pain to make that happen. In my world, that would be a bonus! :bwah:

Sorry. Just trying to cheer you up.

Much love.

m1

7. Xarathos

Xarathos The Hellbound Heart

FWIW my mother and a friend of mine both went through chemo with similar or the same symptoms. My mom is alive and well 21 years later. My buddy is alive and well 33 years later. It all grew back in both cases. There is no minimizing your situation. I am hoping for you.

8. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Very true, Mike, everone experiences different effects & some pass sooner than others. It seems everything I've encountered with the effects is possible... it shows up in a brochure that is given to chemotherapy patients. And I was just worried about the nausea! :bwah: It's the one thing I haven't experienced yet! Yep... the dry, cracking skin is also in the brochure. I go to bed after smearing my hands with petroleum jelly & putting on a pair of cotton gloves... has helped alot.
    The next 4 treatments are supposed to be less toxic. I can only hope! :devil1:

9. Halfneck

Halfneck Huge member

Chemo is a bitch. I was lucky, I guess, in that Melanoma does not respond well to Chemo. Instead I went through Immuno-Therapy. It was not fun, but the people around me going through Chemo sounded like they had it worse.

The side-effects on these types of treatments can be weird. I experienced some bad gingivitis when there was only a .05% chance of it occurring. I also would occasionally crave popcorn shrimp - WTF? Of course most times I was not real hungry.

Hope the treatments work out well for you & kick's those cancer cells to the curb.

10. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey Gary, Most all of the things you posted are actually fabulous news ! The hair stopping growing , nail issues all point to the Chemo attacking all fast growing cells . This is the idea behind a curative treatment.

Don't worry about your pecker it will remain intact, although you will be shooting blanks for a spell :ross: During Chemo I had to use a rubber with my wife, first time in 20 years ever having to use one !:devil1:

I would be more upset to hear that you are having no physical symptoms. You have strong indicators that you are indeed having a favorable response to the treatments.

I am sure the Dr's gave you some hints to help with the swelling issues in feet, elevate when hanging around house and reduce salt does wonders etc, Please be sensitive to lower extremity pain in feet also hands, this "could" be a sign of Nuropothy SP? , I suffered it through chemo and still have some lingering pain issues in my feet, but has reduced over time.

In my case I lost all body hair as well, and came back more grey, and finer, due to my radiation field I still don't have hair growth on my neck, just less to shave !

You are a trooper ! 4 down 4 to go !!

GO GARY !!! :devil1:

Thinking of you.

GK

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
    Poolshark likes this.
  11. Str8ShooterEsq

Str8ShooterEsq Wartime Consigliere Brigade Member

I hope the final four sessions are easier on you.

12. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

my prayers are always with you gary

13. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Gary, you are an Army tough son of a bitch...
    you'll be good to go soon.
    hang in there.
    we are pulling for you.

14. Cadi Con Carne

Cadi Con Carne Kwitcherbitchin' Lady Devil

I was going to say exactly what Glenn did. Chemo is a nuke for any type of rapidly dividing cell. That includes, but isn't limited to, skin, hair, mucus membranes (including the lining of the stomach, which can be a REAL bear), and...oh yeah, tumor cells.

Neuropathy can also happen, which sucks, but again, it's a product of the way chemo works, sometimes it can cause damage to the glial cells of your nervous system (they're the support staff, they DO regenerate whereas actual neuronal cells don't always). One thing to watch for is if your extremities start feeling hot, or if they fall asleep a lot.

I'm sure your MD mentioned this, but you might want to inquire about a B12 supplement. Chemo patients tend to not absorb it as well as the rest of us, and it's a pretty significant component of your body's energy generating setup. It's cheap and easy to find, and it may help with the fatigue issues.

Also, for your hands, it often helps to rub cold cream in. I know at the clinic they have a big honking jar of Ponds cream (it's meant for the face, so it's milder, less fragranced, so less risk of anything being irritated). I can also get you some gloves from my Dad's work, they have aloe vera inside them (you can't feel it though, really, it's not like they're gooey). They're great for if you have to do dishes or anything, since any kind of detergent/soap will dry your hands right out. Just let me know what size you need, and where to send them.

15. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Clydetz

Gary hell man I didn't even know; I guess I should read more categories of forums...

God Speed an recover my friend. Maybe you can try some medical marijuana I hear it supposedly counteracts the chemo!

16. zappadragon

zappadragon Devil Inside Brigade Member

Thoughts and prayers heading your way from zappadragon and Mia. Mia is sending you a big hug and blowing you the biggest kiss too. Rest up and if you need anthingthing please let me know.

17. Tank Buster

Tank Buster Rattlehead Devil

I'm sure you'll make it out just fine brother, hell you got JD to back you up.

Clydetz likes this.
  18. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Hang in there Gary.

Clydetz likes this.
  19. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Damn Gary, hope this phase passes quickly w/success.

Folks could learn a thing or two about your attitude in the face of adversity.

Be good to your self buddy...

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  20. Katwyld

Katwyld Devil Doll Lady Devil

:kat: I think ya have enough things 'falling out/off' to worry about the 'little man'... I believe there is a limit, and you've definitely reached it. :ssmile:

You are a strong one, Gary, and I know you'll get through it all with humor in tact. We're pulling for ya here at the Shank Zoo! :kat: :GOV:

Clydetz likes this.