1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

charlie mike RIP

apdallaround Jan 15, 2019

1. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

ded i, waterdogs, nostimos and 4 others like this.
  2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Thanks for finding that Tub.

ded i, tubtar, apdallaround and 2 others like this.
  3. sadnaps

sadnaps Little Member

I love his Burrito cooking video, what a fucken gem. He will be missed.

ded i, Kelper, tubtar and 2 others like this.
  4. tmbrcrafter

tmbrcrafter totally hetero, no seriously Brigade Member

Sad news indeed. I've known Matt a long time. You'd be hard pressed to find a kinder soul. He showed me some of his new work a while back at the California Custom Show , he's really come along way. Some of us here would fuck with him and give him a hard time but he took it all in stride. You couldn't insult Matt. The guy wasn't afraid to give any design idea a go. Needless to say, many knives were sacrificed at the CM altar. But Matt was committed to do his thing and make knives (or anything else) to his liking. You think you're brutally honest? Try posting your vasectomy results online and hope to get a shot of ass. That's right, he did it right here. I'd talk to him on the phone and I'd have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard-

"Hey bro, this guy was telling me my knife looks like shit! What do you think?"
    I replied, "Well, maybe they just need a bit more refinement. What do you think about that?"
    and without missing a beat, Matt tells me "well yeah that knife looks like shit. It looks like a blind old lady ground it. But WTF, I'm just starting!"

Honest, unapologetic and the kindest heart around. RIP Matt, you were called too soon

braundc, ded i, XamaX and 6 others like this.
  5. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I can’t fucking believe this!
    I logged on earlier here to the “certificate warning” and did a post, them moved onto freedom of speech and get hit with this?!?!

It seemed like a bad joke.
    I’ve been following and liking many of his posts over on BF since I noticed he didn’t come around here as much anymore.
    He linked a hilarious YouTube vid just last week in a BF thread about willmoon that he uploaded at the very end of last year, basically only two weeks ago.
    Someone gave him a will moon custom with serious flaws and told him to give it a special CMFTW engraving job.
    I’m saying all this because It was hilarious and typical Charlie Mike humor.

I had to go on BF to see if all this was true, and they already have tribute links set up and the go fund me for the funeral tubtar already mentioned.
    Thanks for showing that John.

If anyone is more curious, there may be more info on BF as time passes.

I’ve been thinking how cool it would be to run into him at a knife show, if I ever get up off my ass and start going again.
    I’ve heard he’d come down here to SoCal from Fresno(?) to attend the Plaza Cutlery Shows.

He was one of the first “interesting personalities” I noticed here on JD when I started.
    He will be missed. A true original.

6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Too true, we gave him a hard time but it was (almost) always good natured. He would put a wave on ANYTHING! Always made me laugh.

ded i, Kelper, nostimos and 3 others like this.
  7. adnj

adnj Huge member

I just heard. RIP

apdallaround, ded i, Kelper and 2 others like this.
  8. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Very sad, he was always an interesting guy. His battle and success with sobriety was an inspiration for me. RIP.

9. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Man....this news is like a punch in the gut....
    Sorry to see you go, Matt....travel well, soldier....

10. tubtar

I read an update on the go fund me page.........there will be a memorial service on January 24th at Bethany Church in Fresno at 11:00 a.m. , pot luck to follow.
    I wish I were closer because I would love to pay my respects beyond what I already have.
    He left a large hole in the world when he checked out.
    He was far from perfect , and that made him even more real.........because when we look in the mirror and get past the glare of the light , that is all of us to one degree or another.
    If any of you are close and can make that scene , tell his shipping crate or urn or what ever vessel he is occupying that I said howdy.

11. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

I never had any warm and fuzzy feelings for the guy. But he did make things more interesting around here.

Fucking gofundme charges 15% for a Dead Guy Donation? Fuck them!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  12. tubtar

I know.......and they have the balls to call it a tip ?
    Miserable bastards.

13. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

I used google to search for a knife and saw this like 10 minutes ago. He was one of a kind and don't know what to say. I think the first time I saw one of his posts he was getting beat up for buying a Submariner and doing a PVD finish on it. I thought it was pretty cool but I may have been the only one. I had a few dealings with him and he was always fair and nice to talk to. My son was showing me a video he found on a local maker. I was like "I know that guy" and told my son he did tons of videos. After seeing it I sent Matt a email talking about the knife and his review. RIP Charlie Mike, you were one of a kind.

apdallaround, Kelper, ded i and 4 others like this.
  14. Amotek

Amotek Eerie Ver Sable Brigade Member

I remember the strider he modified, the fan boys shit themselves for weeks over it! Laughed my ass off and knew then he was a helluva character. He didn't disappoint. I'll miss him mucho.

apdallaround, Kelper, ded i and 4 others like this.
  15. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Matt was "The King Of Wave".... I once (jokingly) asked him if he could wave a break-top shotgun for me....he said "Sure, man...."

apdallaround, Kelper, ded i and 3 others like this.
  16. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

Sad to hear this.

We were fucking brutal to him when he first showed up. He never let it bother him and kept posting. Fucking guy would cut a wave into a fixed blade. :bobert:
    When he was just starting to make knives, I made a knife vise and asked if he wanted it. He did and I sent it to him. He was so appreciative, that he said the next time I was up where he lived I was welcome to stay there. It was that moment that I hoped I hadn't put my return address on the package. :tard:

Rip. You will be missed.

norcal13, Rio, waterdogs and 8 others like this.
  17. Caffiend

Caffiend JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Peace be with you Charlie Mike brother

18. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

I traded him that Strider for a Microtech LCC. He told me what he was going to do during one of our phone conversations. I just laughed.

sickboy

19. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

Rip CM. Appreciated his posts and overall candour. I too found his wanton disregard for towing the line refreshing...Thoughts to his family.

20. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

R.I.P. for real. :rip:

Definitely made things interesting.