1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've watched many a tutorial and for the life of me I can't get the continuous spin. I refuse to think it's because my Shrade manilla is tolo heavy because the weight should help the situation. Looking for pointers I guess. Thanks devils

2. TheGoldenWeed

TheGoldenWeed Tiny Member

I do chaplins by moving my forearm and mostly keep my wrist straight. Could just be personal preference but it helps me keep my rotations more consistent.

3. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

your using the Shrade manilla Damn thats one heavy handle knife and the balance is not centered ,,don't get me wrong love mine hate the latch always gets in my way .have you tried a different bali???

coll3ctor likes this.
  4. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

I've been trying it with my bm67 and kinda getting it. Yeah the manilla might not be the best choice cause it's so handle heavy. I didn't even think about that.

coll3ctor and begreen61 like this.
  5. Deyolo

Deyolo Little member

Its not the knife.

Some people learn them quickly and some people like me took months to learn to chaplin. Keep working at it.

benzen12 likes this.
  6. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Try just draping the knife over your stationary finger. Move your wrist in a wide circle so that you can feel the weight as it rotates around the finger. Speed up and pay attention to the weight shift while tightening the circle. It's way more about feeling than something that can be described.

Your flipping speed greatly determines how much movement is necessary for chaps. Best of luck.

If you need any more help, shoot me a message and I'll see about making a little tutorial video.

begreen61 and benzen12 like this.
  7. Xmegaman

Xmegaman Little member

Practice makes perfect. Do one rotation at a time. Then link the chaps together. Even now I get the timing off on the movements sometimes and the knife goes spinning off my finger.

Just keep it up man.

tonk and benzen12 like this.
  8. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Got it now man with all my knives. Thanks a ton. Your instruction helped a whole hell of a lot. Now on to zero g lol!

9. Wesferatu

Wesferatu JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

It took me a while to learn chaplains too - I still struggle with zero G ones. If it helps, try to think of a train piston on how it spins its wheels (weird, I know). But your elbow/arm does most of the movement while making the circular motion.

10. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

its all in the wrist! go slowly

11. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Zero G takes a little longer to learn because it' harder to drape the knife. Same principles apply though.

Glad I could help.

12. Tguns

Tguns The Devil's Brigade Brigade Member

Think egg shaped not circles. Put momentum as you push away keep the force of the handles tight to your finger. Hook your index slightly. It's more elipse than circle.

benzen12 likes this.
  13. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Start slow, try one chaplin, then two, and so on. Just like most tricks, it's all about muscle memory and what ends up "feeling right." It CAN be done with any knife I'm sure, like most tricks, but some knives are hella easier to do it with than others. My DB 3.1 does it very well. Heavier knives seem to work best.