1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Central New York knife makers, and all knif makers

tlatchlefty Apr 19, 2010

1. tlatchlefty

tlatchlefty Little member

Hi guys. I know this is probably going to sound like a pretty lame post to most, but I simply MUST ask. I am 20 years old, and I have had the passion for knives since I was about 12. I have always had what I think to be pretty unique ideas and designs. And recently, I have decided that I am going to pursue it by all means that I can. So Im hoping there might be someone in the central new york area that would be willing to take on a intern of sorts. Id be willing to do any kind of grunt work that would be needed and make myself more than useful to have around in exchange for just being in the environment and having the opportunity to learn a few things... I know its unlikely, but I would love to be able to find an opportunity to get my feet wet. Ive always been pretty good with my hands and in school I was pretty good with woodworking, so I feel it wouldnt be something out of my ability. And also, do most of our successful names just teach themselves? Or is there some particular trade school you might suggest? I really have no idea where I would begin. But I am eager to learn! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Matt

2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

matt knowledge is key and there is plenty of people that are willing to teach a young man with passion , find all possible links and tutorials about knife making that you can and start to get a basic idea about it , there is plenty knife makers that are outstanding people and will answer your questions:ssmile: all the best

3. Zero Gravitas

Zero Gravitas Huge member

You can do some learning on your own - in a similar fashion to many of us - by making a knife from a purchased blade. The big difference is you have this interweb thing for immediate consultation. I think the catalog from Jantz was how I started, and now it's a PDF download instead of a letter request.

[flashback] Jantz Supply ad in the back of Shotgun News - circa 1981[/flashback]

I also like a couple of books: The $50 Knife Shop and Bob Loveless's Making Knives.

4. tlatchlefty

tlatchlefty Little member

Thanks for the guidance guys! Ive been making the search feature my best friend lately!

5. KTM

KTM Jerzee Custom Knife Maker Knife Maker or Craftsman

You Also might check with Joe Szilaski. Hes a mastersmith living in southern NY state, has recently opened a school offering classes for knifemaking.

Shawn

6. ronin

ronin Huge member

Joe Szlaski is a great teacher and very accomaditing. His school is outside Kingston NY. Well worth a visit.

7. C.Pettersen

C.Pettersen Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Greetings Matt,

Everybody has a different start in their own knifemaking journey......some are self taught and go the trial and error route on learning as they go. Some get the opportunity to learn from knifemakers themselves. Nothing wrong with either direction. If you are fortunate enought to visit and learn from fellow knifemakers, it will cut down the learning curve greatly. The bottom line is your desire to learn (and you sound eager enough).

I would suggest, besides using the "search engine" pick up a couple of good books from the local bookstore The Loveless book "How to make Knives" and Wayne Goddards "$50 Knife Shop". Both books are great reference books and contain valuable information, and will be part of your learning even if you get to work under a knifemaker. Also Wayne Goddars "Wonder of Knifemaking". Remember, when you done have the computer by yourside, you can keep your reasearch going.

I am down in Central Jersey, time is limited right now, but possible in the summer you can take a trip down one afternoon, to use my shop~~~(No grunt work needed)

Any questions, please feel free to contact me ( as just about any other maker ) we are open to help>

Just a thought~~~