1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

CBSA Knife NAZI's Strike Again

Bullwinkle Jan 22, 2009

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Little member

Helluva way to start my first post here...but I just got a lovely letter from the Canadian Border Security advising me that they have seized my Griptilian because it can be opened with "centrifugal force". Yes, I had the seller (Texas) tighten it down as far as possible...he even put I zip tie around it. What kills me is I could have bought the same knife right here in Canada about 5 blocks down the road from the CBSA warehouse. WTF?? Then, they have the balls to tell me I can't use that argument in any appeal.

I think they're trying to force Canadians to buy in Canada, which I believe is a blatant violation of my Constitutional Rights (at least I thought I had some). Anyone out there have any suggestions?:nathan:

2. Fenlore

Fenlore I am Spartacus! Brigade Member

yeah, if you're in the southern part of ontario drive over the border and buy one than take it back up with ya.

3. Anchorblew

Anchorblew Title? What's a title?

Piss on the CBSA's front door one drunk night :devil1:

Pissing on doorhandles for entry doors or cardoors when it's freezing outside is another good method of revenge too :ross:

4. blackscout

blackscout Enormous member

I have gotten so sick of border bullshit. I have everything I buy sent to the post office across the line and I just go pick it up. Nothing but bullshit when dealing with the border. If you are willing to pay extra every time and wait. Then cross border will work for you. I sent a sebenza to Chris Reeve to have it repaired and when it was sent back I had to pay $70 to pick it up. I sent the paper work in to the cbsa but I still haven't heard anything back. That was in Nov.

Markous likes this.
  5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Little member

Im so freakin' mad I want to just choke these idiots. I guess I'm partly to blame because I live 5 goddam minutes from the border and I could have just driven across and smuggled it back. But me, Mr. Try To Do The Right Thing am fed up. Then they have the cahones to tell me what arguments I cannot use if I want to appeal...that list is a page long! Can someone tell me how some Canadian stores can get them into the country and sell them to the public, even when CBSA has declared them illegal??

6. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Ever thought of buying from a fellow Canadian whether it is a collector or an on line retailer?

Lot's of Canadians on this site and you never know, we may have what you are looking for....

CBSA is a big pain and it just leads to paranoia and excessive alcohol consumption. Fingers crossed every time I have a folder shipped my way.

7. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:welcome: to The JD, Bullwinkle sorry about all of this business! :cheers:

8. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

We are suffering the same problem in the UK.... I lost a Benchmade Rift last year.

UK Customs are flicking the knives open and designating them as gravity knives.

To have a knife with a tightened pivot seized is a new level though.

I attempted to reclaim the knife by writing an in depth letter that included technical information about the AXIS lock... to no avail.

9. Fenlore

Fenlore I am Spartacus! Brigade Member

heh, if I was gunna buy folders from the US I'd prolly just drive the 5 hours to the border, atleast that way I'd be guaranteed to get the knife.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Little member

Well stupid me...I just dropped another c-note on a CANADIAN Griptillian. Fuck them, they're not going to beat me on this. Let's see if Canada Post refuses to deliver it.

11. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

What, you guys are talking about smuggling a knife across the border?

Oh Christ, here we go!

Stand by for heavy rolls!

And a resume!!!

12. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

ok- youse guys take Pamela Anderson back and we will allow free trade:decisions

desmodus likes this.
  13. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Sure...and be like all those Southwestern Ontarians

who shop at our mall, buy new shoes, change them in the parking lot, leave the boxes on the ground, put the old shoes in a plastic shopping bag in the trunk, and drive back across the border and don't claim the new shoes. Darn litterbugs for not cleaning their messes up...

Working as a US Customs Officer on the US-Canadian Border I hear many, many tales of the CBSA - mostly true; some embellished with emotion. Try to buy a $.99 @ pound turkey before Thanksgiving at the local Krogers; sorry, sold out - 5 Canadians, one car, 10 turkeys. Of course they do pay dearly for the 2nd turkey each - duty assessed that is equal to the price of the turkey - but if I don't get there early enough I don't get a good buy.

Not that CBSA doesn't have some valid reasons to scrutinize international mail; several years ago I ordered a knife kit from a large, famous Canadian Knife Company. Imagine my surprise when the Canadian Customs Declaration (made by the shipper) referred to my purchase as a "GIFT" - an attempt to avoid paying customs fees.

I'm sorry Bullwinkle that you had to buy it twice; personally I'd go fight for your right to own the knife...

14. blackscout

blackscout Enormous member

Unfortunately IWantthatknife We don't have rights when it comes to the border (as Canadians). The grip is gone man, sorry. I personally apologize for the retards and assholes that can't clean up their messes. I have found that going across the border to the states is always a good experience, Coming back your rolling the dice. I have had some bad experiences and I am not a bad guy and I would not smuggle anything. Even when you declare your stuff they only charge you taxes( if it is made in USA). The thing that really gets me is a 50 dollar grip costs 100 plus up here. WTF??? I live 45 minutes from the border so I do my best to simulate the American economy. If your doin good we are doin good. I would gladly buy from a Canadian Devil but as for the retailers...Why would I pay so much more for the same thing. Anyway Devils are Devils I don't care were you live. Some of the deals..... how could you pass them up?

15. TPyke

TPyke DRUNKEN MASTER

CBSA is flicking one of my knives right now. I got the same centrifugal force letter....what a load of crap! All these years having balis and switchblades brought through and a folder is giving me a headache!!
    Looks like I will definately be going to Neil for my Strider...

16. RNST

Hey all.

It's been a while and I thought I'd check in to see if other Canadians may have had a recent shit kicking from CBSA about knife imports?

I was surfing IG and noticed another Canadian had a sign up on a Knife related site to contact their MP's about CBSA going beyond the scope of the law on the books.

Auto's, Bali's, push daggers, gravity knives and the like have always been banned. Now the CBSA have taken it on themselves to ban all folders that have thumb studs, disks etc i.e. Sebenzas, Benchmades etc because in their definition it's a one handed knife can be flicked open.

I then went to ZT Knives site to check out their latest offerings and when I went to check the price I got "not available for sale to Canada". WTF? These are mostly speed safe knives that have been legal since the Govt lost its case against Kershaw over a decade ago.

Meanwhile, many of the online Canadian retailers are selling flippers, CRK's etc like crazy.

It's looking like our laws are becoming tighter like the Brits and Aussies. Eventually we may only be legal to carry fixed blades.

17. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

I haven't bought anything recently but in most of the stores locally, flippers are still on display (where you can actually find them). Warriors and Wonders (Canada's best knife shop in my opinion) still has all available as well via mail order. Be a pity to see something so useful banned.

I'd guess that most of the knife issues here revolve around kitchen knives then those cheap pieces of crap bought from where ever people buy cheap, shitty knives. I'd doubt very much there are many stabbings or issues committed with Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade, or CRKs.

However, with our political climate, I could see some wholesale changes come that will affect us forever.

18. RNST

Small world Wes. My go to for ZT knives has always been Warriors and Wonders too.

I was checking out this new one on the ZT site and as you will see, we can no longer buy it because of the Speed Safe Technology. It's not an auto and has no spring.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0470