1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Cap & Ball Revolvers

SZiehr May 10, 2010

1. SZiehr

SZiehr Better than gold or platinum

Whose into them? I'm considering picking up a steel frame, either a 1858 Remington or 1860 Colt. I really like the idea of picking up one of the R&D conversion cylinders to shoot .45 ACP out of it.

2. hangtime

hangtime eccentric orbit

Lotsa fun . . .

I don't have anything that is a convertible but a .36 cal. Colt Navy is one of the finest handling revolvers you'll ever pick up. Also you don't spend a fortune on powder and shot to have a fun range session.

3. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

what most people don't realize with these is that once loaded it is a pistol and you NEED a pistol permit to have/shoot it.

4. fishmonger

fishmonger FishDevil

I had a Colt Navy, Army and Ruger old army all were good fun !! remember to grease those cylinders.....:devilzeek

5. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

As a matter of fact I have both of the ones you mention:devil1:
    Mine are made by Pietta. If you watch for sales at Cabelas you can catch them at about $200. (I think)
    I first got the 1860 then a couple months later the '58 went on sale.

I just shoot powder and ball. Started with .451 but found the '58 likes .454 so I'm gonna stick with those for both.

(I'll try and get a pic of my babies up tonight.)

If you have any questions about powder charges, caps and cappers and such just ask.:ssmile:

6. RXX

RXX Hellbilly Deluxe Brigade Member

I should have my ass kicked for not picking up at least one Colt when I worked as a pawnbroker.

Anyway, I do have a Traditions steel frame 1851 .44 purchased in 1994. Never shot it. Still in the box. I need to shoot it one day. Think it was about $150 from a Gander Mt catalog.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  7. BruceB

BruceB Huge member

Things of beauty

There are a few things in this ugly world that make me happy when I look at them. Some are red headed ladies, Golden Retrievers, Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifles, Jaguar cars (120s), Vincent Black Shadow bikes and Colt percussion pistols (Navies, Armies) and Army Single Actions.) The Navy is probably the most lovely of the percussions and I love the fact that Wild Bill Hickock carried a pair.

8. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

I know the Rem '58 is popular for conversion cylinders. You mention wanting to shoot .45ACP; but I thought they were for .45 Long Colt and need to be black powder loads with soft lead bullets. Honestly I never did any research on them...I just shoot mine 'old school'.

Anyway here's my babies.:devil1:
    [​IMG]

9. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

What the hell's a pistol permit?

10. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Permit?...I dont need no stinking permit.:madaddy:

11. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

These are the only two BP firearms I own, a pair of engraved Marshalls in .44.
    They are a BLAST TO SHOOT but a mite slow on the reload :devil1:
    The blade is a Larry Harley Paragon " Battle Bowie".
    [​IMG]

VANELLI likes this.
  12. Zero Gravitas

Zero Gravitas Huge member

Ummm, that does apply here, in this small European country on the east coast of the United States, but not in the free world.

13. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

He lives in Colorado, where the mostly free men roam. Even Maryland isn't that bad. But I do believe that may come here next.

I have one of the Italian repro 58s in brass, I really like shooting it. I don't like cleaning or loading it though.:bwah:

14. SZiehr

I almost forgot about this post. Yes, I live in a state that understands gun ownership is a right and I do not need a permit to own it, just to carry concealed. Also, a BP pistol with the conversion cylinder is STILL considered a BP unless you alter the gun itself, such as filing a loading port. After you do that, it becomes subject to the gun control act of 1968. You can use smokeless loads with the conversion cylinder in them, as long as the gun has a steel frame and you stick to BP equivalent loads. That means lead only at < 800fps, which includes a lot of .45 ACP ammo. The only reason I was thinking of ACP over .45 Colt is the ammo cost. It would be nice to have some clean ammo to shoot, plus, it would be adequate for home protection. I wouldn't feel safe leaving a BP pistol laying around loaded!

I actually prefer the look of the Colt, but if I do convert it, the Remmy is a stronger design with the top strap.

Oh yeah, if any of you happen to have one laying around you want to swap off, PM me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
  15. SZiehr

Beautiful guns there DaBird!

16. edosmar

edosmar Average member

A .45ACP does not have a rimmed case and you will have a problem loading them in a .45 Colt cylinder. if you reload there is now .45cowboy brass, it is the same length as the .45ACP. The only reason to use it is in downloading the .45 Colt, with less space in the case you get more consistent groups when using modern smokeless powder.

17. SZiehr

Sorry, I should have specified, I can get a cylinder for .45 Colt OR I can get a cylinder chambered for .45 ACP.

18. SZiehr

DaBird - do you know if the Marshalls are made by Uberti?

19. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho