1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Can you sue a knife company???

Manuelp Apr 11, 2018

?

what to do next?

1. lick my wound and keep going

2. sue the fuckers

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

Hello devils,
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this.
    Yesterday, I was carrying my nanodashi on my belt and stabbed myself on the leg with the blade. The sheath of the nanodashi is not as tight anymore. so when I knee down to pick my dogs shit. the blade came out and went into my thigh####.
    I know that I probably can get the sheath fix by brs; but was wondering if they are liable for the incident since it due to the design of the knife.
    Before I contact my lawyer or brs; I wanted to know what you guys think; or if anybody ever had an incident like this before with other knife manufacturers.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

also, when buying anything from brs we agree to this
    By purchasing any product off this website the consumer agrees to below:

1) User understands and will comply to all local, state, and federal laws in regard to product(s) purchased.
    2) User assumes all risks in owning and using the product.

Does it means that I assumed the risk of a malfunction on the design ?

3. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

You can sue, but I wouldnt

4. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

why is that?

5. lachrymalex

lachrymalex hellion on point

Because it would make you a tremendous douchebag.

ATLWood and Ben. like this.
  6. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

LOL Im not concern with that.. maybe if they test their knife designs better it wouldn't happen..
    I knew there will be dickriders or brs fans who would say not simply because it affects their business..
    This is no about emotions and opinions; but mostly facts..
    And how that makes me a douchebag? im curious on your logic behind it

7. lachrymalex

lachrymalex hellion on point

What do you think you'll accomplish by suing them? Other than spending a lot of money on lawyer, probably more than you'd be awarded if you even won your frivolous lawsuit?

ATLWood likes this.
  8. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

Lawsuits are not fun for anyone involved. It's something you'd be much better off seeking legal council over instead of asking people on a forum if it's something you're actually serious about. It's understandable to be mad, getting stabbed sucks (experience), but you just need to realistically think about what you're talking about getting into, sleep on it for a few days, think about it some more, think some more, and then look for legal advice

9. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

Well.. if I go to court and win.. the lawyers fees wouldn't be an issue for me.
    The goal is to make them take their business seriously and not simply push any knife design into production simply because they want to be recognize as a knife company and not a balisong company. Maybe you haven't stabbed yourself by simply kneeing down; but let me tell you, it sucks. worst than getting stabbed while being robbed since you don't even have any adrenaline to relieve pain.

10. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

That makes sense to me. A much better response.
    the reason I asked in the forum is because JD has members who collects and plays with knives for a very long time. I was hopping to talk with somebody who went through something similar with other knife makers and had experience on the matter.
    I already asked for legal advise; but it takes 25-48 hours to get a full response from my lawyer.
    I believe that it doesn't hurt to put the question out there; even though brs is already aware of it.
    The more factual opinions I get; the better will be.
    Most lawyers will push for a lawsuit simply because makes them earn money regardless of the result. Thats why im asking to nonlawyers; but knife users instead.

I appreciate your response

11. FlipperDeluxe

FlipperDeluxe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Too bad it didn't hit an artery....

Colt.McDaniel, Rio and TakeMyFingers like this.
  12. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

lmfao!
    agreed..
    That wouldn't kill me but would make a law suit more appealing for sure.

13. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

What response did you get from BRS?

14. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

No problem. Just another word of caution, if you go through it and the lawyers are especially thorough it's possible that they could come here and find your thread. Just be mindful of stuff like that, there are a billion possibilities of things that can happen that you would never think of. I'd personally just contact BRS and talk with them about it, I don't think they'd purposefully try to do wrong by anyone

15. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

They simply said
    "Sorry to hear you are having trouble."
    and
    "Here is the copy of the terms in conditions of purchasing our products. This is agreed to by all end users prior to checkout.

By purchasing any product off this website the consumer agrees to below:

1) User understands and will comply to all local, state, and federal laws in regard to product(s) purchased.
    2) User assumes all risks in owning and using the product."

16. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

Oh yes, for sure. If a lawsuit is in play; I have no doubt that this will be on the records. I already told my legal adviser about this thread. Specially since brs are already aware of this thread. I love their balis, don't get me wrong. I never expected this to happened not im trying to spread bad news.
    Im simply stating the facts of what happened to me with their product; and since ive never gotten hurt with the malfunction of any knife; I felt like I could get a good advise for free from a member with similar experience.

17. bp123

bp123 Little member

You said "the blade came out and went into my tight"

I don't understand how a knife that weighs 0.8oz could do more than pin prick your pants unless you leaned on it and forced it into yourself? How bad was this wound in question? Is there a hospital visit and write up to document your pain and suffering?

Ben. likes this.
  18. savage12k

savage12k savage leather Knife Maker or Craftsman

I must've poked myself half a score of times with mine. Thing is...
    1) I'm not a pussy
    2) it took me about 10 seconds to see the weaknesses of that cheap little sheath.
    3) I could have built a better sheath, but I had shit to do.
    4) as for being stabbed in a robbery... I'm not sure if you got jumped by tinkerbell and her ruffian gangs of pixies, or if your nanodashi is significantly larger than mine, but butch up buttercup. I guarantee that you will hurt worse in your life... Possibly during child birth.
    Don't sue. You'll lose. Hard.

lachrymalex and Ben. like this.
  19. Manuelp

Manuelp Average Member

First if all; Do you have, used or ever carried a nanodashi? Have you seen it in person and not only pictures?
    If not, then there is no need to answer your question because you simply wont get it.

20. Mystik

Mystik That's no ordinary rabbit! JDBA Official Member

I am not a lawyer but I have seen a lot of Law & Order, so I would say I'm pretty much an expert on the subject.

I do recall a case in Law & Order where a victim got pretty cut.
    These are their stories...
    [​IMG]

nostimos and Manuelp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.