1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Can you shoot straight?

Medium John Jun 26, 2014

1. Medium John

Medium John little member but big balls

If you thought this was going to be about guns, you're gonna be disappointed :D

Recently I took up archery. Now the funny thing about archery in the UK is that there is no bow hunting at all. None. Zip. Nada. I mostly just target shoot (recurve) but occasionally I have fun with some field archery.

So anyway, I was just wondering if there were any other archers here on the Mighty JD?

Marc

2. SPLITSHOT

SPLITSHOT Paracord Pimp

I live in Idaho , we archery hunt elk ,deer, pronghorn , but we just lost all of our archery equipment in our house fire. Trying to get new Mathews bows ASAP season starts soon

3. Medium John

I saw that, so sorry to hear of your run of luck mate. Really. Are you a compound, recurve or longbow shooter? Or maybe something else I'm not familiar with.

4. gpd215

gpd215 Brigade Member Brigade Member

I used to shoot a lot when I was younger. Just starting to get back into it. Bought a strother archery compound bow earlier this year.

5. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

I shoot traditional, when I can. My arrows have started to fall apart, though, and I cannot shoot until I can afford new ones.

6. DucS2R

DucS2R Huge member

Yeah, handmade recurve for target and compound when hunting. Great sport. Taught both of my kids to shoot (no longer kids but they still hunt). Used to practice in my back yard (1 acre of land in a rural area with a natural backstop) until the cops stopped and told me to take down my target or they would arrest me. :unintroduced:

T

7. Medium John

HA! I'd have just built a fence so they couldn't see the target :D

I wouldn't mind having a go at compound, but they are banned at the club I attend because some dopey bastard dropped an arrow into someone's back yard using one.

8. Medium John

Wooden arrows? I would say make the repairs, but man, wooden arrows are an art form.

9. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Yeah, Port Orford cedar. The guy that made them used some cheap-o glue and the heads are falling off. I am going ti try re-gluing them with something better, but I spent a lot of money on those things, and they should have lasted more than one trip to the range into foam targets. My bow is not even that heavy: 40-45lbs @31" English style longbow.

10. Medium John

I think you can just reattach them with a hot glue gun mate, but you're right. They definitely should have lasted longer than one trip to the range. Just a thought, but he didn't varnish the shafts before gluing on the heads, did he?

11. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Nope. It looks like he used hot glue the first time. That stuff is not very durable. I have a tube of Gorilla Glue that should do the trick. Working two jobs and taking classes does not leave a lot of arrow repair time, though. :bwah:

12. Medium John

No, I imagine it doesn't. Gorilla glue should do the job though. If you want, I can ask around at the club and see what the recommendations are, we've got a few longbowers.

13. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Try Kinsey's archery in Mount Joy, PA. They used to make awesome arrows.

TacoMan5000 likes this.
  14. Jiffysand

Jiffysand Little member

ive been using G5 blue glue and its the stickiest glue ive ever seen, its nice too because some of the stickier glues dry out but ive been able to use each bottle down to the last drop. stuff lasts forever especially if you keep it in the fridge.

TacoMan5000 likes this.
  15. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

I would hope so, given your location. I think the GG will get it done. Thanks, though.

16. Medium John

I'm looking at upgrading my arrows sometime in the near future, not looking forward to that expenditure!

17. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

You could try making your own. If you are shooting compound, you probably use aluminum arrows, right? Much easier to work with than wood. The only real tool you will need is a fletching jig.

18. rudechuck

rudechuck Worst Blood Brigade Member

I haven't shot in about 15 years, but I still have a vintage AMF Wing Hunter recurve, a Martin longbow in zebrawood, and a Dan Qullion Native American Plains bow. The Wing is probably from the 70s (I bought it used) and the others were acquired sometime between 1989 and 1994.

I also used to have a Hoyt Medalist compound, but I traded that for a guitar (which I lost somewhere between Vegas and L.A.).

EDITED: Sorry, that was a Wing "Slim Line" Hunter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014