1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Butterfly Knife Legality in Michigan

Cody16 Apr 4, 2013

1. Cody16

Cody16 Little member

hey guys,
    so heres the question; I have a Benchmade 51, and as some of you may know this butterfly knife has about a 4" blade. Now as far as I'm clued in, butterfly knives are considered a "folding knife" in Michigan, therefore, legal. However 3" is the largest blade legal in Michigan. What are the repercussions for concealed carrying my knife outside of my home? just curious! (I always keep my 51 inside my home!)

THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  2. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Huge member

Well if its anything like here you'd be charged with owning a prohibited weapon. And could get a $2, 500 fine and up to 2 years in the free butt sex hotel.
    So since you don't everyday carry it of course...dont flip in public or have it fall outta your pocket haha

3. SpydercoLover

SpydercoLover Level: True Devil

I live in Michigan. I carry my 42. Just don't pull it out in a crowd.

4. towel28

towel28 Level: True Devil

I live in MI, and I actually called my local Police department and asked, now laws do differ from city to city but for mine (Livonia) knife laws they said it was fine to carry a balisong but the blade has to be 3 inches or under..So I carry my 32 morpho edc because I think when they say three inches its of actually cutting area

5. brokeflipper

brokeflipper Huge member

I live right by you haha, oh and I carry my 51 everywhere and haven't had a problem. Just don't dress or act suspicious and the cops won't have a reason to search you.

6. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...it has come up before don`t remember what was the verdict,maybe a seartch will bring it up,...but my advice to you would be NOT to relay in what cops tell you is legal or not,ask an attorney or look up case law in your state, research the weapons laws... go to a gun shop and ask them for the package they have concerning CCW they should have a booklet with the weapons laws in it(they do in FL)and still you may end up not finding it in black and white...balisongs tend to be a very gray area in most states...
    Good luck

7. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

What is this search you speak of...you mean try to gather information without someone holding my hand....are you serious?:ropeman:

8. colpolite

colpolite Average member

As long as you don't flip it in public or u don't do any fancy opening with people around you.

Think of it this way, i'm sure everyone has done something illegal at some point in their life like having a joint in you while in public or being a lil drunk while driving or talking on the cellphone while driving etc..

Don't be obvious and do not get caught.

THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  9. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

They are illegal.

Send the Bali/s to me I will take good care of them.

Glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup:

10. Icceal555

Icceal555 Huge member

This man has a law degree from Harvurd University, you should listen to him.

11. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

:ninjaedit::ninjaedit:

12. littlejoey

littlejoey High on a Mountain Top Brigade Member

From here: http://www.knifeup.com/michigan-knife-laws/

MCL § 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device; unlawful sale or possession; persons exempted. Sec. 226a.

"This law bans the possession and sale of switchblades, automatic knives, and gravity knives. This means it is illegal for you to own a switchblade, automatic knife, or gravity knife in Michigan. Bringing one over from another state would still be illegal.

Note that the law here does not ban balisong knives, also called butterfly knives. Balisong knives do not open with a button, pressure, or mechanical contrivance. Balisong knives have a latch which you must release but, once released, the knife will still not open until you manually expose the blade from the handle. This makes balisong knives legal in Michigan."

So... All knives, except for banned ones, are legal for open carry.

Therefore, just don't get caught carrying your balisong concealed, like I do. :bwah:

GEEZER likes this.
  13. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Huge member

Around here the balisong falls into that "gravity" cause of the centrifugal force used to open.
    But then again they're trying to pass a law on public smoking here haha. Used to be the Texas of canada...now we're looking more like california all the time

14. Cody16

Cody16 Little member

Thank you! very helpful with the link, I lasted about 2 days not taking my 51 out of the house, now I cant leave without it :bwah:

15. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...Not if Michigan considers balisongs "gravity knives"....:manganr:

16. Cody16

Cody16 Little member

This is true! but they still do not like my 51 (with a 4" blade and all) :manganr:

17. colpolite

colpolite Average member

[YOUTUBEHD][/YOUTUBEHD]
    Like I said, as long as you don't flip it like a kiddo and showing off, then you should be fine. When you need to use it in public and need to open a box or a letter with people around, open it in a simple way and not some idiot flashing it around in an intimidating fashion.

18. brokeflipper

brokeflipper Huge member

glenn is holding my bali's for a year now and i never have gotten stoped by the cops in michigan :ross: