1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Buckwheat braggot (HOMEBREWING MEAD/WINE/BEER/SAKE)

Yasushi Aug 24, 2016

1. Yasushi

Yasushi Little member

I am making a braggot which is a mead (honey) and beer (grain) hybrid. I used a quarter pound of pale chocolate malt and a quarter pound of muntin's meris otter malt. One is a slightly bitter very dark malt, the other one is a light colored malt with a taste of bread and crackers. I used an unfiltered buckwheat honey which is also incredibly dark, so the whole thing is very dark. Blacker than the blackest black times infinity. Metal.

I added some orange peel and ginger to the hot water along with heather tips to add some spice and floral notes.

I'd like to know if anyone out there is involved in homebrewing or is interested in it.

View attachment 137435 View attachment 137436

Benjamin Franklin, who created the (myth of?) the Jersey Devil, said that wine is “constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy,” and published the “Drinkers Dictionary,” a list of 200 synonyms for getting plastered. Some of the more colorful expressions include, “He’s had a thump over the head with Sampson’s Jawbone,” “He’s contending with Pharaoh,” “He’s been too free with the Creature,” and “the King is his Cousin.” If you want something shorter, you could say he’s “wamble crop’d,” “fuzl’d,” “pungey,” or “trammel’d.” And then there’s my particular favorite: “He’s right before the wind with all his studding sails out.”

Franklin had a rivalry with New Jersey politician Daniel Leeds, and directly accused his son (named Titan) of being a ghost, and of having been resurrected from the grave, and it didn't help that the Leeds family crest had winged dragons on it. Anyway, that's your "rational explanation" of the Jersey Devil, although the former king of Spain did claim he saw it while hunting, and the Philadelphia Zoo has offered a hefty reward for its capture that may still exist today.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

I've not seen a mess like that in years. A friend of mine made some mead in a brown crock with a cloth over it. He removed the cloth and it looked nasty until he pumped some into a glass from the bottom. It was delicious and had a kick but I didn't know what to think at first.

3. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

I haven't brewed in over a year, but I think I ought to get back into it. The real shame is that I don't have room for my kegs where I am at now. I miss the days of having 20 gallons of beer at my finger tips.

I was always interested in Braggots and Hydromels but never made any mead. My main turn off was the long down times, that is why I stuck to beer.

My favorites to brew were Scottish ales and a grocery store apple cider I made for parties.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
  4. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

A good friend got me into homebrewing a few years ago. I never made it past the basic recipes. I gave up after my third bad batch in a row.

He still brews every few weeks. I haven't tasted any in a while. I'm going to have to remedy that soon.

5. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

Actually, one of my Jersey Cousins (we connected at Ancestry doing the dna thing. According to the dna, his mother and mine should be first cousins making him and me second cousins), after I quizzed him about the legend, here is some of what he wrote back:

As a kid, racing through the woods of Cape May county, I thought a lot of things were chasing me at one time or another.
    Half the time I knew who the bully was.
    The other half, well, .... I am just not sure.

After I got my license, I camped a lot up around Batsto, and all through the Pine Barrens. There were several books called 'The Forgotten Towns of New Jersey.' I have been to almost all of them. Mostly just foundations by then, but I did find buried Mill Stones and the like. The Devil stories started up there.

There is a lot of history on DelMarVa too. All similar but not the same.

There has been too much building in the last forty years for their to be much left of the Pine Woods that I knew. South Jersey was all ceder trees in the 1700s, they were cut for ships and roof shingles for Philadelphia. Then fast growing Oak took over, but there are places that Oak cannot grow, like the Pine Barrens, where the Pines are only eight feet tall.

It was another life.

and this:

There is another theory that none of these articles have mentioned.
    The Devil thing was started to keep people out of the Pine Barrens.
    Wharton, yes the economist, the founder of the Wharton School, bought much of the Pine Lands for the water that it contained.
    He thought Philadelphia would run out of water (like some of the cities in Europe had done), and he would sell the water from the pines to Phila.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharton_State_Forest
    Well Wharton outsmarted himself, Phila went to the mountains for their water supply, Wharton could not make a dime on the land investment. He even dug ponds to grow carp in (but nobody wants to eat carp).
    I spent a lot of time up there in my twenties.
    The Devil stories never amounted to much, it was just a curiosity that sold news papers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016