1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BRS Replicant FYI

apdallaround Jul 14, 2014

1. CannedBullets

CannedBullets JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Just got my Replicant today, had to get used to the handles because they were thicker than my BM 43 and had to sand down the edges on the handle near the latch but other then that it is great! It probably has one of the the sharpest blades I've ever handled also.

2. NinjaIndustries

NinjaIndustries Huge member

Got mine today, cut within 30sec of havin it. :bwah:

Only complaint is after havin only flipped a 46 for years the handle thickness of the rep is like 1.5x the size of the 46 and it throws me off. But that's a problem on my behalf not the knife's. :thumbsup:

3. nuts4knives

nuts4knives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This is what I was wondering. 154cm is typically not a steel that chips easily is it? I thought that's why it was such a popular steel for balisongs. I suppose the hrc is most likely too high if it's chipping and not rolling? I have heard of people having folders re-heat treated but if it's over cooked there's probably not much you could do. I'd be curious to know what the hrc is on these.

On a side note mine is at my local p.o. and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait!

4. joeldirt

joeldirt Little member

tipless

how many of you have already lost the tip off your replicants? :(:ssad:

5. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Lost mine day 2

6. hulkblud

hulkblud JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Chipped mine the first day I had it. Dropped it in the living room on my carpet.

7. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Pics or it did not happen :unintroduced:.

8. joeldirt

joeldirt Little member

rumors

has anybody heard anything about a pocket clip for the replicant?

9. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

Uhhh...

Premium Replicant.

10. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Search is your friend.....

OR...just reading the thread is your friend....

RIF.

11. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i'm estimating mid 2015 will be when pocket clips will be available for seperate purchase. there are a couple knives on the way that come equip'd but i'd think seperate purchase would be at a later date.

my replicants tip is still intact, lotsa carpet drops...
    like any flipper im sure eventually it'll happen

12. jamex

jamex Organic Polygraph JDBA Official Member

Wow this is a bit disheartening. I would think dropping on a bed or carpet would be soft enough to preserve the tip.

Guess once everyone's is broken off that will become the accepted blade profile :manganr:

13. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

To be fair, carpet usually means there's wood underneath. I assume -=BRS=- isn't sending out butterknives, so it's pretty safe to assume the blade is cutting THROUGH the carpet. and then hitting the tip into the wood below the carpet.

Again, tips get FUCKED if you're a flipper, that's just a fact. I hit my Basilisk tip into a sub-woofer and ended up with a chipped tip. I'm gonna be taking my Rep to work with me when I get it, I will be flipping it, and it probably is gonna hit concrete. My tip is probably gonna get fucked. My AB tip, my 42 tip, everything I flip outside of my home has a FUCKED tip. Just what happens.

So, while I can see how this may be an issue for some, in all reality, it comes down to the fact that you;re flipping and dropping it, this shit is GOING to happen. I see so many posts on people fucking up the tips on their Rep is sounds like people think it's an issue with the knife. It's a hazard of the hobby. You want a cool profile with a nice tip? Then don't flip it if you don't wanna ruin that tip.

#TipsForTheTipless

thevinstigator likes this.
  14. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Unless the tip is hitting the spacer.

15. Silent Jay

Yeah, no idea the fuck up was with your's man... That shit sucks ass to the 10th degree.

But I meant as a general whole with all the posts on broken tips, especially with carpet. It's like mothafcukers never ripped up some carpet or nothin

16. dus7man

dus7man Jet life to the next life JDBA Official Member

Lots of tips gettin fucked in here...:ropeman:

17. Silent Jay

Just tha tip

18. laughingbuddha

The damage caused to the tip a few pages back as well as the pic I linked of my mutant was not caused by dropping it on its tip... it's obvious. The metal has struck something hard and chipped off. It's not blunt or rounded... the metal has chipped.

That does not happen by flipping over carpet (which generally has a cushion of underlay beneath the carpet).

If it were dropped onto concrete tip first it normally rounds the tip... makes it less pointy. But if you have a look at that pic it's still pointy. Just that the metal has chipped from the edge.

I'd guess that when the handles slam together in the closed position there is probably some flex in the zen pins and handles. The tip is probably hitting a spacer. Metal on metal would cause some damage if the tip was already thin and didn't have much meat behind it.

19. squidmaster23

squidmaster23 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Do you know any ways to prevent the blade from hitting the spacers? Maybe sanding the spacers down?

20. laughingbuddha

Thicker Zen Pins?

I'm not saying that it is hitting... idk, Im just guessing. Just seems weird that people have the same problem.