1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BRS or Hom?

Bboy Aug 14, 2015

1. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

I'm looking in the 400-500 range for my next bali and have narrowed it down to either wanting an AB or a Specter. I know the knives are similarly weighted and both use bushings (although different designs) but i wanted to ask the people who have actually flipped these knives which would be the better option in their opinion. My personal favorite flipper that i have used is the replicant, and i'm not really wanting anything lighter (such as a flytanium or 4x). this is from a purely flipping standpoint as that will be its main purpose. From what i've heard and seen the hom is definitely the more beautiful knife, but i also love the tactility of the AB, and the fact that it has longer handles. So what'll it be JD? BRS or Hom

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Well its not going to be a Specter because they're all sold... an no one in their right mind would sell for under $500.

So I guess it'll be an AB by default.

End Thread. :thumbsup:

3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

Heres 2 Specters under the 500range... can't believe they arent sold yet.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php/170248-HOM-Design-Specter-and-Prodigy

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php/170311-FS-Hom-Specter-and-BM46MC

The confusing part is tactility.....

tac·tile
    ˈtaktl,ˈtakˌtīl/
    adjective
    of or connected with the sense of touch.
    "vocal and visual signals become less important as tactile signals intensify"
    perceptible by touch or apparently so; tangible.
    "she had a distinct, almost tactile memory"
    designed to be perceived by touch.
    "tactile exhibitions help blind people enjoy the magic of sculpture"

tactility ‎(countable and uncountable, plural tactilities)

The condition of being tactile
    The ability to feel pressure or pain through touch

The Specter is pretty damn tactile just like the AB. I'm not sure that tactility is a good differentiating word between the two.....

Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my AB is a pretty knife same as the Specter.

Goodluck in your decision.:thumbsup:

4. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

They're actually not all sold. A large number are going to be in stock soon at BHQ.

As for the OP's question, I don't think you can go wrong with either knife. Buy both!

5. Baliman987

Baliman987 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'd say get a specter and wait on the AB 3.0.

6. Papercuts

Papercuts JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

They're both great knives. I feel the AB has a bit more weight in the end of the handles. I don't consider that to be a positive or a negative as the Specter is well balanced in its own right. Just something that makes them different and also makes it nice to have both.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  7. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Definitely get both while they're available because later you'll be kicking yourself when some jackass is selling it for $200 or so above MSRP. :bwah:

8. apdallaround

jackass??? be nice a jackass would be asking 400+ above msrp:manganr: v e g a :manganr:

9. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

My personal preference is the Specter. I like the way it looks, how it reflects light when it flips, and the overall design aspects. Blade is outstanding and I think the knife is definitely worth the price.

Some cons however are the non-crowned spine (the AB has it too, but it's much less noticeable) and the finish on both knives is prone to scratches and wear. It's a little more painful to find imperfections on a more beautiful knife, which is why the AB wins in that platform.

BTW, they flip equally good, with the Specter having more dexterity and the AB rolling more naturally. It all comes down to your flipping style, and HOM speaks the truth; buy both (if you can't pick)

10. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Both top tier flippers, personal preference would be the tell all. I wouldn't discount the GDOK, one of the best

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  11. Mystik

Mystik That's no ordinary rabbit! JDBA Official Member

This. This is awesome news! :thumbsup:

12. Nirvana

Nirvana Formerly known as baliforge JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

This.

BRS and HOM are making some of best balisongs for flipping (and in general) right now, so you really can't go wrong. My vote is for the pAB though.

Happy flipping.

13. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

Buy Both.

14. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I haven't flipped an AB yet but the only disadvantage i see it having to the Specter is blade steel. If you're worried about flipping this won't matter. If you're worried about EDC the S35VN will probably hold an edge slightly longer than the 154CM. I honestly doubt that you would know the difference unless you're cutting lots of cardboard or hemp rope. Even then you might not notice. Also which ever blade shape you prefer. I have a Specter and still plan on getting an AB 3.0.

15. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

I wish i could jerry. Honestly if i had the cash id get a custom from you, but sadly my menial waiting job isn't going to cut it. if i can get my hands on one for retail i'll pick up a specter and wait on the AB 3.0 for a later date. Thanks for the tip that they aren't all sold though.

16. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

This was the post i needed man thank you. I'm a much more rollover styled flipper and thats why i love my replicant so much. so it seems for my style the AB would be a better decision. Plus i decided to keep my replicant so i can complete the BRS collection so far, until their next knife comes out.

17. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

Thanks for correcting this without sounding like a dick. I apologize for the confusion. I used the wrong iteration of the root word i was going for which was tactical. The AB looks more tactical in my opinion whereas the specter seems more beautiful. Sort of the form over function argument, even though both knives have both. They are both beautiful but in different ways. But i think from another post i saw i'll probably be going with the AB.

18. apdallaround

ohhhhh tactical. combat ariels

19. GnFnRs

GnFnRs JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

:bwah::bwah:

20. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Classy guy!