1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

-=BRS=- Barebones

laughingbuddha Jan 2, 2015

1. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Exactly my thoughts. I expect with use it will stop latching altogether. Might do a paracord latch job on this one. I like the security of a tight metal latch for EDC tho.

2. Herbinator74

Herbinator74 Little member

I have been wondering how to do a paracord latch for the barebones.

The pin that holds the latch in doesn't have any screws, and looks like it could be part of the T-latch itself.

There would be no place to attach the paracord if the pin is in fact part of the T-latch, but I haven't taken the knife apart to find out yet.

3. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Yeah I was looking into a para latch too. I think theres a pin that goes between the handle slabs. The latch has a hole in the end. The pin goes through the latch. Just remove the latch and use the pin as the anchor for the para.

4. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

Make a pin from a nail or a literal pin.

5. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

I wonder if there's a way to change a zen pin or tang to make the metal latch work? After a bit of break in the latch flops on and off now with no resistance. Dont feel too safe having this in my pocket anymore lol. Open is crazy tight though.

6. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

Questions;

Is the BareBoneS in your opinion a better deal than the Replicant, all factors considered (flippability, durability, ergonomics)? Does the $40 difference reflect the difference in the overall strengths and weaknesses of both?

Comfort is especially important to me, and with the sharp edges on the Rep, I'm not too optimistic about a lower cost SS balisong in terms of the handles being easy on the fingers. I saw a video where the tang nipple drew blood from this guy's fingers when twirling.

Lastly, since I already have a Rep, is there any good reason to buy a BareBoneS as well? Should I replace my Rep with a BareBoneS if I get the chance?

I know this is all opinion based, but given I would sacrifice some flippability for comfort, what's your view?

7. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nothing wrong with the handles on the BB. All issues I had with the tang nipple and blade spine being rough were easily fixed with a little TLC from a polishing wheel. Sandpaper will also do the trick.

The $40 really gets you bushings and the lighter (generally more preferable) handle materials. BB is heavier than many people like, but it is well balanced. It carries its weight well, and though I maybe can't flip it quite as fast as some lighter balis, I can do any trick I know with it without issue. The handles are a little thinner than the rep, so if that would be more comfortable for you that's something to consider.

I own both, I like and flip both, but I'm definitely flipping the rep more. There was a time when the BB was my main flipper though, and it was my EDC bali until I started carrying the alt rep.

If your rep is rough around the edges just take some sandpaper to the offending areas. You'd be amazed what a little time, patience, and elbo grease can do to improve the comfort.

8. Vampill

Cheers, I'll take what you said into consideration.
    It's mainly the sharp liners that are rough on the hands after a while of flipping. I'm considering using a dremel.

9. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Even though I used a wheel on the blade spine, I used sandpaper on the liners of my rep. Personally I wasn't confident enough in my ability to be precise with a dremel at that angle/in that confined space. Sandpaper is a little more of a time commitment, but the risk of slipping up and taking off more than you intended is no longer an issue.

seandavid55 likes this.
  10. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'd really think twice about using a dremel.

KaliSong likes this.
  11. Herbinator74

Herbinator74 Little member

:yeahthat:

One sneeze and there goes your liner!

12. Vampill

On a second thought, sandpaper may be the better option. Thanks guys.

13. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Why do you keep spelling as "BareBoneS"..

I'd personally take a RePlicanT between the two with the $40 difference.

thegoodedge and KaliSong like this.
  14. Vampill

Accident, meant to be BaReboneS.

15. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Found a neat little solution to anyone who has a light lockup on their bb. I like the metal latch for edc because its more solid when cutting locked open than a paracord latch. My latch was very tight open and didnt even lock close. Put a metal spacer on the latch and now good in both positions. Spacer on latch end when closed and in between handles when open. This is what i used. Its the perfect ID for the latch shaft https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-aluminum-pushrod-spacer-red-8-tra5133/p3320[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

whens the next run for these? I want a new one. No icky Desmodus blood on it.

17. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i still haven't handled a barebones yet

18. stonproject

stonproject Little member

Are they done with the v1/v2? Or should we expect a v3 run

19. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Dunno.

20. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member