1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

-=BRS=- Barebones

laughingbuddha Jan 2, 2015

1. Veker

Veker Average member

Well now that I've had my Barebones for a couple weeks I'll say that I like it alot. Right now it's my primary edc along with my Ultratech.

It is kind of rough around the edges and I was kind of pissed about some things but it's alright and balanced very well. Even when the pivot screws were tightened down with very little play, the handles got chipped by the blade spine. It's also kind of strange that I had to take a dremel and sand the edges on the tang so my finger wasn't getting pinched. But now I have the tang sanded to the way I like it and I got over the handle deal. It is a nice balisong!

To me, it's as if someone took the Benchmade 45 and improved on it. I like the weight of titanium balisongs like my Tach2 but I really have a thing for heavier balis like the BM45 and Barebones.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Slowcash

Slowcash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I with you on this, I really enjoy the all ss construction. This knife is my edc at work and I have no fears of breaking it. The punishment the bb can take is impressive, and the damage from all the falls comes right out with sandpaper.

3. Waterczar

Waterczar JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I picked up a BB on a whim since I found one for an amazing price I couldn't pass up. Thinking it would sit around and play second fiddle to my beast. I have to say, the BB is amazing. Absolute the best knife I have ever purchased in the $200 msrp range. More impressively it flips well beyond its price range. If anyone is on the fence about this blade I urge you to pick one up. There is no way you could be dissatisfied in any way.

4. AJarOfDirt

AJarOfDirt Little member

tuning the bb

i dont know what the deal is. I have spent hours tuning the barebones to perfection but the blade still rubs the handle. upon further inspection it apears the the blade(when looking from the handles(safehandle up)) is slightly off center to the left, causing rub on the one side and makes an unnerving clank... any input is appreciated.(And before anyone says it im not innadequate ive been able to tune plenty of balis before, this i think is just cause of the blade):ssad:

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

you need 2 things
    1) [​IMG]
    and 2)[​IMG]

Kaplan Yeter likes this.
  6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

This guy ^^^ loves tools...

7. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I feel like he just needs the torch.

8. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

you're clearly biased.

9. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nah, not me. Fire makes everything better :devilzburn::bluedevil::firedevil:torch::Flamingeek:

Kaplan Yeter likes this.
  10. Gravedigger

Gravedigger JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm gonna sand a little off the insides of the safe handle myself. Should take care of it .:thumbsup:

11. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Stallion Rooster JDBA Official Member

Noooooo don't do that.

12. fogcreature

fogcreature JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Some wear and tear

After a couple weeks of flipping my barebones the latch started to stick in the safe handle, preventing me from opening it back up. I lightly sanded it down where the latch was striking the safe handle and it's back smooth.

13. fogcreature

fogcreature JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Some wear and tear

After a couple weeks of flipping my barebones the latch started to stick in the safe handle, preventing me from opening it back up. I lightly sanded it down where the latch was striking the safe handle and it's back smooth.

14. desmodus

i think i have to do the same thing with my specter...

15. drecon

drecon JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I will also have to do this to my AB.. getting a bit rough on the latch edges and sticking sometimes.

16. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've had this happen with my barebones a couple of times, usually after a hard drop that lands on the end of the handle. Haven't had it happen with my Specter or AB, but I'm not as cavalier about what I flip those over as I am with the BB.

17. ThePourBoy

ThePourBoy Little Member

Dropping serious hints to my wife about a possible Barebones birthday present. Fuck a benchmade 87, I need to complete my BRS collection. I have a rep and a beast that I crunched and saved for months for each, and now I need a bones. I was hesitant because of the lack of bushings but I trust the company and the product.

18. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Has anyone had a issue with very light lockup in the closed position and super tight open? The latch almost dosent lock the knife closed...

19. Herbinator74

Herbinator74 Little member

I've noticed this as well with my Barebones. I rarely lock the knife open, and wish that the difference between the lockup in the closed and open positions could be split; so that it would lock closed just a little bit tighter and open a little looser.

Though I think the fact that the average flipper rarely locks their knife open may play some small part in the fact that the lockup remains super tight in that position.

20. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

Hey JDBA,
    I've been out of the Bali game for a while (financial reasons we all know the feeling) and have just recently paid off all my debts and am looking to restock my collection. I'm all about flipping and no Bali I own will ever be "pretty". I've loved BRS since they started and have owned my fair share of reps and AB but never had a barebones as I got out right before they dropped. In the opinion of the page, would I feel like I was missing something if I picked up a barebones rather than an infinity AB? I'd rather not drop that much since I'm just getting back in, and I actually prefer the square handles of the stock AB (my favorite was a 1.5 with a crowned spine) thanks for your thoughts guys.