1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

-=BRS=- Barebones

laughingbuddha Jan 2, 2015

1. Waterczar

Waterczar JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Awesome blade at a sweet price point guys! Can't wait until these flood the market like 51s.

2. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Guess you don't get it either, if what you are talking about was a design flaw, it would happen to every Bare Bones.
    As has already been said here, BRS are exceptional on their warranty, so why not send it back instead of bleating on here like a sheep having an enema?:devilwag:

3. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

My barebones also has this blade to handle "issue", but in all honesty, I don't care:ross:. This bad boy is going to get beat up when i drop it on concrete and floors, a couple extra scratches on the inside of the safe handle will be the least of it's injuries.:unintroduced:

Honestly, I see a lot of people complain about the inherit and inevitable damage that a bali will suffer. Unless you never flip it, it will get marked up. Every bali I own has some markings. Both my alpha beast and specter lost their tips long ago. The ano on my flyti 51 is scratched up. Etc. Etc.
    Remember that when you flip a bali you're really just opening and closing the knife over and over. Do this to any other folder as much as you flip your bali and I guarantee it will not be as pristine as when you first purchased it. Just my 2 cents. It's either a flipper/beater or a safe queen, you decide.:bwah:

4. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That's why you get two! :devilwag:

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...i`m prety sure it will,and if you tighten them up it will not,if you can live with that fine, if you can not, sent back(balisongs need to be tuned all the time more so when you twirl them).Yours seems to came from the factory with a turn or two out,no biggie for most.
    If the spine was crowned it would probably just rubbing instead of catching when loose, but then the price would have been 250 of 260 or..xxx instead of 225
    Once, a very well known balisong maker told me," if you don`t want your balisong to rub put on a mandle"...i asked him if the blade rubb was covered under warranty :facepalm:

6. Linos

...it will happen to every BB if you don`t keep it tuned, and i don`t think it`s warranty issue...

7. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

What about the twirl creates the need for more frequent tuning? My (limited) personal experience tells me it is true, but I can't quite wrap my head around what makes the twirl a worse culprit than other moves.

I noticed that mine did a little bit of this too, but only after about 4+ hours of flipping that included a TON of twirling and many drops, several of which were pretty hard ones. The handle play had increased somewhat during this time period as well. A little TLC with the torx driver and handle play is back to the very impressive state it came to me in (pretty much identical to the pic MidnightAbyss posted), and the snag is gone as well.

FWIW, I tightened my pivot screws until the blade stuck a little, then backed them out in very tiny increments until it swung freely. There are tons of better bali technicians on here more qualified than myself, so if there is a better method I'm eager to learn. But for now this seemed to work for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  8. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Twirling = lots of stopping and starting (ricochets) = more vibration and stress on screws = loosens faster and wears loctite faster

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  9. Linos

LOL in my vocabulary Twirl= Flip :manganr::ropeman:

10. KaliSong

ahhhh haha ok. So in my case the culprit was probably the drops then:ross:. Though I can see what darklight is saying about the ricochet/vibration. Either way, easily fixed with a little love from the torx driver.

11. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Yeah I'm thinking twirling vs. A more rollover/fanning style. Less stress on the pivots with a helix vs a kiss goodbye or something similar

12. OGwombat

OGwombat Little member

I tried the tightening too. It actually will still hit the inside/inside edge of the safe handle fully tightened. I'm probably just going to tune it too my liking witch is pretty much your method and it will probably still destroy itself. Hopefully I can fix this. (This happened right out of the box and didn't get any better after disassembly to clean:()

13. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

I fixed this on mine by crowning the spine. It slips right into the handle now, rub or no rub.

14. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Mine doesn't catch at all. It does rub but doesn't get stuck.

15. dorkmas

dorkmas Little member

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  16. Ti_britches

Ti_britches *Desert Creature* JDBA Official Member

Well that was interesting.....
    BladeHq got mine out quick, projected delivery date was the following Tuesday, it arrived Saturday along with my Alt Beast($380, thanks seller). The Barebones is an excellent bali, let alone for the price. Bitch all you want about the lack of crowns and rounded edges but that adds time and time is money (the lack of some detail is probably a good thing on a beginner bali, edges teach technique). I plan on rounding mine after it chews up the bites it's given me already a little bit more along with other mods as I plan on picking up another from another dealer on an upcoming drop (it needs a pocket clip so it can stay attatched to me). Out of the triforce, all 3 flip differently even in my novice hands can tell; I still prefer the AB personally. Glad to see BRS doing what they do and giving the balisong community what it want's and needs. keep that shit up!

17. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Just removed 2 pages of dribble. Let's play nice

My BB also rubs but does not catch.

Do I care? No

If I did care I would either :
    A: not flip it and keep it pristine
    B: send it to BRS for warranty

It's that simple. No need to be rude

Every Bali that I actually flip has some sort of rub or scuffed up contact area. It's bound to happen. Love rubs

Shawn Savage likes this.
  18. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I think what we have here is a little bit of growing pains for both the end user and -=BRS=-

This is the least expensive balisong produced by BRS and that means more new users. Folks that are new to balisongs and all that entails. While many of us are old hat at tuning balisongs and the maintenance of them, many new folks aren't. All of us who have been here for a spot have seen the bushing basilisk video from zoid and cutlerylover and calvins videos but lots of these new folks have not.

When a person chimes in that X or Y is unacceptable - whether or not it actually is is sort of irrelevant. What is relevant is that a consumer ended up with a product that they fell they were not fully informed about. Now the responsibility for education is a two way street. The new user has to seek it out and the producer has to produce it.

It would behoove -=BRS=- to create a series on basic balisong maintenance and to routinely highlight and promote that. Infographics, videos, etc are what I am talking about. I know dedicating resources to education is a tough sell for a young burgeoning company because it is not necessarily a revenue generating activitity but it could help with some of these teething and buyers remorse situations that while they may be ridiculous do actually affect revenue ultimately with the amplification of todays internet platform.

TL:DR lets all remember that at one point - we too didn't know shit. It's both our responsibility as a community and BRS as a producer to share this knowledge.

SlightChance likes this.
  19. knifezoid

knifezoid Bladerunners Systems -=BRS=- Knife Maker or Craftsman

It's true. MTX loves the rubbin'.

20. KaliSong

I would love links to these videos if you've got them handy. Or perhaps an "official bali maintenance" video thread similar to the tutorials thread would be helpful? I've gotta believe I wouldn't be the only one who would take advantage of that.