1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Tighe d/a otf

BennytheBlade Feb 15, 2019

1. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

A lot of options, but not many that are 1. good 2. available 3. priced reasonably 4. not made by a person I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire lol. Thats why Im so stoked about this particular knife.

seandavid55 likes this.
  2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm digging them. Just need to find the right one. Some of the customs look pretty amazing. Ugh

Who's had a custom in their hands?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  3. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I have a few Tighe customs but none autos... Quality is there for the flipper/folder. Dunno about the auto but I imagine its good.

seandavid55 likes this.
  4. seandavid55

Well I jumped down the rabbit hole feet first on this one. Started with, I should get my first otf. Then there were a few questions. When you sitting in the Holiday Inn out of town what else would you do but Google the hell out of it.

Heres my first OTF:

20190802_143756-768x1024.jpg 20190802_143816-768x1024.jpg 20190802_143959-768x1024.jpg 20190802_144005-768x1024.jpg 20190802_143746-768x1024.jpg

5. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Darn, that’s tasty. Thx for the detailed photos!

PA says no. Thank goodness I can at least have daggers and balisongs.

seandavid55 likes this.
  6. BennytheBlade

Wow. Give us your impressions when you get a chance

seandavid55 likes this.
  7. seandavid55

Having zero OTF experience. I think it's top notch. The only criticism I could throw out there is the blade finish. It came with a scratch and the level of finish doesnt seem consistent throughout. In saying that, I'm nitpicking. But the scratch....hmm. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

20190802_182834-768x1024.jpg

Can you guys see it on the right side?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  8. BennytheBlade

Yeah I see it. Still great looking blade.

seandavid55 likes this.
  9. seandavid55

What do you think, rubbing right there on the inside?

10. BennytheBlade

That's the only thing I could think of

11. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

The handle pattern and clip and blade are just sick.

If you are planning on using it, the scratch isn't much. But I can imagine the entire core of one's soul being tortured by it. I hope you are more zen than me, at least.

obi

BennytheBlade and seandavid55 like this.
  12. Followthehollow

Followthehollow Huge member

I don't own one (yet) but I did play around with one in a shop. I was super impressed. Action felt great, on the low end of expected blade play in an OTF (As good as Microtech is not better). The texturing felt great, and the clip is super nice. I do plan to pick one up at some point.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  13. BennytheBlade

What do you think about the handle texturing on it Sean? Does it seem pretty light to you? I was surprised by how cool the handles look w/o them being overly aggressive.

14. seandavid55

There is a lot of texturing but it is blended and soft. Very comfortable. I think the two finger grooves opposite the ...."switch"? are perfect.

I am very happy with it. Still contemplating contacting Brian about the scratch. I haven't put a straight edge on it. It looks as though it may line up with the screws. Maybe one was left long? I dont know. I'll keep you guys posted on that.

15. seandavid55

16. BennytheBlade

Stupid is as Stupid does.

seandavid55 likes this.
  17. seandavid55

So, I actually sent Brian an email in regards to the scratch. He did respond and said I can send the knife in to fix the scratch.

It's kind of a bum deal. He says it didnt leave his shop like that. It was there when I recieved it. Is the dealer responsible? Should I contact them?

18. Balibuyer

Balibuyer Little member JDBA Official Member

I've been edcing the one I won through the JD raffle every other day or so for almost a month now. Been enjoying it thoroughly to. I have not had many otf's in the collection. And the ones I have had, were a little too nice/expensive for me to edc. I normally edc a smaller bali and rotate out with about 40 different folders, but it has been extremely convenient carrying an otf throughout the day.

It has fired solid every time with no issues and is easily put back on track if knocked off (which i've purposely done). I was concerned at first about it firing in my pocket while bouncing around and crawling on the shop floor. But it does take a decent amount of force to fire, so shouldn't be an issue. And if it did somehow fire in your pocket, it shouldn't make it through your pocket lining and into your leg lol. I fired it into some toilet paper and it knocked off track immediately. I offered to fire it into my coworkers index finger but he declined.

I especially enjoy the dagger style blade this one has. The texturing on the handle is somewhat smooth and enjoyable in the hands. I really love the pocket clip design. It slips in and out the pocket effortlessly. And looks damn good to. And since I've seen that clip and blade on Sean's I want a custom in the collection. The hardware it quite unique. Don't guess i've seen any other like it. I own a lot of tools, but nothing even close to resembling a screw head like that. Doesn't mean I can't get it apart if my life depended on it, just means I won't try right now lol. A good blowing with shop air outta keep her clean.

So in closing, I don't know shit about the maker, but I love the knife (with that said...would love to know why Benny dislikes Microtech...If they're a bunch of fucks, I would love to know, Are they bestys with benchmade by chance? lol). I can sit there while watching tv and repetitively open and close it like i do a compression lock folder or a frame lock with a super satisfying sound over and over and over...... The body, hardware, blade material all seem to be premium. And for the price range, I dont mind edcing & using it. We'll see in time if she's going to hold up, but i feel like it will. Looking forward to possibly a custom in the future.

19. seandavid55

Thanks for the update! I'm still considering getting more of a user version.

I dont know anything about the maker. But I will say that I contacted him in regards to the long scratch in my blade when I got it. I bought it through a dealer and he was willing to take the knife back and refinish the blade for me. That's pretty solid in my book.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Balibuyer and David Delgado like this.
  20. David Delgado

David Delgado Little Member

If you do want a user I have 2. I would swing you a deal since I just realized I only actually need 1 lol.

Balibuyer and seandavid55 like this.