1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming: knife rolls

mikeymoto Feb 8, 2014

1. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Don't make me cu..OW! Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ron pointed out the distinct lack of knife rolls up in here. Let's talk about what you'd like to see in a JD edition knife roll. I think I could help out in this area and deliver with more regularity and maybe lower cost than the last guy. I want to hear about:

• Material - leather or cordura? Leather adds bulk but also a little bit of cushion. Cordura is lighter and easier to care for.
    • How many knives should it hold?
    • JD logo or other logo/initials, etc?
    • Other thoughts?

I made one up to see if I could make a useful pattern. I liked the idea of maximum compactness and the little windows so I can see what's in each pocket.

Opinions desired!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way after making this test pattern I learned I do not like the single center strap or handle location. Those will definitely change in the next iteration.

Make yourself heard!

blevinsknives likes this.
  2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

1 vote for leather! :jdwink2:

3. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I concur with the Boss man, leather is the best. That cordura does look nice though. I really like the window feature too. Kudos! :thumbsup:

4. Flippin-crazy

Flippin-crazy Level: True Devil

Hells yea a I think either would be nice, but leather with a nice red or blue soft interior or something.

But speaking of knife rolls, ehat about something a lil bigger:madaddy:

Something like of the movie "the mummy" where Rick has a roll up sac that carries everything! Straps to attatch a shotgun or sword, with smaller straps and pockets just for really anything. Swords, knives, guns, kamas, escrama fighting sticks, shurikens, etc.

Hope I don't sound like I'm rambing and that someone knows what I'm talking about.

5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Something that holds at least 12-20 good sized folders so you can go to a meet up w/ just one or 2 rolls. The window feature is genius. I like cordura for no maintenance.

6. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

6" long compartments.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I have some rolls for paintball barrels made out of micro fleece material.

It's pretty gentle on the finish.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  8. mikeymoto

Excellent feedback so far. I'm working on a pattern for a zipper closure 20 knife bag with 6" windowed pockets. :thumbsup:

9. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

The last one we had was velvet lined which looked good and did not scratch, but does not hold up long term... Not sure what a better liner would be other than a suede or leather type.

10. Mr.LaBella

The ones we have now have 22 slots, I believe. 24 would be ideal :D :madaddy::ropeman:

11. mikeymoto

Do you like the velcro pocket closures on the ones you have now?

12. Mr.LaBella

VERY strong :devilzeek

13. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Waxed duck exterior leather interior - pockets tall enough for Bali's.

14. Poolshark

Poolshark Captain America Brigade Member

I could really use a knife roll. Leather would be a plus.

15. Scurvy

Scurvy 2nd Knifiest Brigade Member

I like the one pictured. Just embroider a red JD on it and I'm good to go!!

I could fit most of my collection in two of them. I used to had two spyderpacs full of knives, I have really streamlined my collection over the last year.

16. ponte

ponte JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I like that idea. I'd be down for one.

17. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Either way sounds good as long as they are atleast 7 inches. I'm thinking for autos.

18. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Curdura with fleece lining gets my vote. 12 long pockets big enough for a bali.

Waxed canvas would be cool for an exterior. It would be different at least.

I like the idea of leather for the exterior only. You wouldn't keep a knife in a leather sheath for an extended period, would you?

19. Mr.LaBella

In the last versions the knives only touch the velvet ;)

20. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Not really concerned about exterior material, all suggestions so far are good choices. I was thinking about deerskin for the interior....it`s thin, strong, flexible, and protective. Just thinking out loud here....:devilwag: