1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bought BM51 Morhpo and don't like it - am I crazy?

Pointy Nov 29, 2018

1. Pointy

Pointy Little Member

Ok so I'm not a high end collector. I've had maybe a dozen cheap butterfly knives (and by cheap I mean flea market quality, though some were from the 1980's when the crap knives were better quality).

I've always wanted a 'better' balisong but it wasn't a high priority. I fell asleep for a couple years and missed out on the Bradley Kimura's. When Bear brought them back, I bought one from BladeHQ but had to return it because of quality problems.

This black Friday, I bought two knives: I gave the Kimura another shot and bought the sale priced BM 51 Morpho.

The Kimura I got was heavy but had no other problems. Blade centering was good and the knife flipped OK given the weight.

The Benchmade was nice but the spine of the blade hits the handle. Tightening it up makes it too stiff to flip. I like the spring latch but it makes swapping the latch to the safe handle more complicated.
    To top it off, the bottom of the knife has little black stains on it (maybe from the box?)
    Overall I just wasn't as happy with it as I thought I would be. Mostly because I thought the blade centering and handle alignment would be perfect and it wasn't.

Could be my expectations were too high, but I don't have prior experience with >$200 balisongs.

I'm assuming it's a genuine BM because I bought from BladeHQ directly.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. Sevrin

Sevrin Little Member

The spine of the blade shouldn't hit the handle. You should feel a nice bouncy sort of clack when the zen pins hit. If tightening it up doesn't fix it you probably have a lemon.
    Benchmade has had some serious quality control issues for a while. I was under the impression that they'd fixed that buuuuut...who knows. Contact Benchmade, your warranty should cover the repairs no problem (just make sure you swap that latch back and dont mention that you swapped it =p)

all that said, it might need to wear in as the washers polish up some? Hit the pivots with some oil (daiwa reel oil is a nice budget choice) and tune it till theres no rub/tap and play with it a bunch and see if it improves

The stains might be oil that that was left on it? If it wipes off then no probs.

Your not going to get perfection with that knife: It runs on pivots and washers: no bearing or bushings so its a lil less than ideal
    But I love mine and I think its lots of fun to flip and a great edc

3. Pointy

Pointy Little Member

Thanks Sevrin!
    The black marks on the bottom of the handle are very faint and will probably wipe off with a wet towel or something- I suspect it's from being shipped or handled while in the box (the inside of the box is black). To be clear; I did not swap the latch (which as far as I can tell on this knife would mean disassembling it and reversing the blade). I did not flip it, just opened it to look at it and check it out. I only just got it from BHQ, perhaps I should send it back and try again? I had good luck with the Kimura; I bought one that was pretty bad but swapped it and the 2nd one is good. I think I'm mostly disappointing that the blade hit the handle right out of the box. Perhaps I could tighten, lube, and work it in but I didn't think I would have to do that. Thanks for the info on the BM quality control issues, I had not heard that before.

Is there a similar knife (I really like the idea of some kind of spring latch) with bearings instead of washers?

4. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Return it and get a replacement. You got a dud...happens.

If you still don't like it after getting a proper BM51 then you're mentally not capable of walking and chewing gum.

***BM51...greatest balisong ever!!!

5. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

I agree completely. You got a lemon. I have a 51 that a bit older and never had an issue with it.
    Get a replacement from Blade HQ, or if this left a bad Benchmade taste in your mouth, get something else.
    Definitely don't keep it if your not happy with it or it will drive you nuts.
    Also, I'm selling a couple old Kimura's this weekend here so keep your eye out. :bali:

6. Pointy

Pointy Little Member

Thanks to you both. I sent a note to BHQ and asked to exchange the BM51. I can tell that I like the format of the knife. Based on all three replies, it sounds like I got a lemon. I'm ready to love this knife and will give it another try.

PS: Mike- send me a PM about the Kimuras, I've been looking for some older beaters for cheap but haven't found a reasonably priced one yet

7. Sevrin

Sevrin Little Member

Not that BHQ sells I don’t think. There’s not much out there like the 51 to my knowledge. Maybe the Maxace DMG?

8. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

it's not the best flipper (it wasn't designed to be), but the bm87 has bearings and a magnet latch that does the same thing the spring does.

bradenwright likes this.
  9. Pointy

Pointy Little Member

Is this sold new anywhere or did I miss out on this like the Kimuras? :cutty:

10. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

When you say that the spine is hitting the handle.. is it whacking into it, or just a slight glance off the side of the ti liner?

Because if it's a slight glance.. they pretty much all do that. The tolerances arent good enough for the blade not to hit the liner. To eliminate that you'd need well tuned bushings or bearings.

bradenwright likes this.
  11. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Or a torch.

Torch fixes all.

laughingbuddha likes this.
  12. bradenwright

bradenwright Little member

BM87 >>> flipper than BM51 for sure... but I hate the magnet latch and the big cut out in the safe handle

13. Pointy

Pointy Little Member

It hits significantly, you can hear a loud 'clink'. Only the spine side hits the handle liners (since the sharp side is obviously much narrower).

I've got a replacement coming....