1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Kim Stanley Robinson Forty Signs of Rain

Kristine Stiles & Peter Selz theories and documents of Contempory Art - killer but difficult

And guaranteed to make the hair to stand up on your neck:

Read Annals of Terrorism THE MASTER PLAN by Lawrence Wright which can be found in the 9/11 issue of The New Yorker - it is online at:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060911fa_fact3

It's a long article but it should be required reading.

Quote: Abu Musab al-Suri, a Syrian who had been a member of Al Qaeda’s inner council - The goal, he writes, is “to bring about the largest number of human and material casualties possible for America and its allies.” He specifically targets Jews, “Westerners in general,” the members of the NATO alliance, Russia, China, atheists, pagans, and hypocrites, as well as “any type of external enemy.”

Quote from Fouad Hussein a radical Jordanian journalist:

Al Qaeda’s twenty-year plan began on September 11th, with a stage that Hussein calls “The Awakening.” The ideologues within Al Qaeda believed that “the Islamic nation was in a state of hibernation,” because of repeated catastrophes inflicted upon Muslims by the West. By striking America—“the head of the serpent”—Al Qaeda caused the United States to “lose consciousness and act chaotically against those who attacked it. This entitled the party that hit the serpent to lead the Islamic nation.” This first stage, says Hussein, ended in 2003, when American troops entered Baghdad.
    The second, “Eye-Opening” stage will last until the end of 2006, Hussein writes. Iraq will become the recruiting ground for young men eager to attack America. In this phase, he argues, perhaps wishfully, Al Qaeda will move from being an organization to “a mushrooming invincible and popular trend.” The electronic jihad on the Internet will propagate Al Qaeda’s ideas, and Muslims will be pressed to donate funds to make up for the seizure of terrorist assets by the West. The third stage, “Arising and Standing Up,” will last from 2007 to 2010. Al Qaeda’s focus will be on Syria and Turkey, but it will also begin to directly confront Israel, in order to gain more credibility among the Muslim population.
    In the fourth stage, lasting until 2013, Al Qaeda will bring about the demise of Arab governments. “The creeping loss of the regimes’ power will lead to a steady growth in strength within Al Qaeda,” Hussein predicts. Meanwhile, attacks against the Middle East petroleum industry will continue, and America’s power will deteriorate through the constant expansion of the circle of confrontation. “By then, Al Qaeda will have completed its electronic capabilities, and it will be time to use them to launch electronic attacks to undermine the U.S. economy.” Islamists will promote the idea of using gold as the international medium of exchange, leading to the collapse of the dollar.
    Then an Islamic caliphate can be declared, inaugurating the fifth stage of Al Qaeda’s grand plan, which will last until 2016. “At this stage, the Western fist in the Arab region will loosen, and Israel will not be able to carry out preëmptive or precautionary strikes,” Hussein writes. “The international balance will change.” Al Qaeda and the Islamist movement will attract powerful new economic allies, such as China, and Europe will fall into disunity.
    The sixth phase will be a period of “total confrontation.” The now established caliphate will form an Islamic Army and will instigate a worldwide fight between the “believers” and the “non-believers.” Hussein proclaims, “The world will realize the meaning of real terrorism.” By 2020, “definitive victory” will have been achieved. Victory, according to the Al Qaeda ideologues, means that “falsehood will come to an end. . . . The Islamic state will lead the human race once again to the shore of safety and the oasis of happiness.”
    [​IMG]
    Al Qaeda’s version of utopia has drawn the allegiance of a new generation of Arabs, who have been tutored on the Internet by ideologues such as Suri and Naji. This “third generation of mujahideen,” as Suri calls them, have been radicalized by September 11th, the occupation of Iraq, and the Palestinian intifada. (Suri wrote this before the current struggle in Lebanon.) Those jihadis fighting in the conflict in Iraq have been trained in vicious urban warfare against the most formidable army in history. They will return to their home countries and add their expertise to the new cells springing up in the Middle East, Central Asia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, and many European nations. and etc ...

Please read the whole article. Thanks, judy (ded I)

2. ded i

The link for the article I quoted (above) has expired, but I can e-mail the full text of the article to anyone interested. PM me ...

3. "Cell" by Steven King.

...also "Fat ladies frotting- a guide to back street Hamburg"...by Herman Wenstd. Inspirational.

4. Quickbeam

Quickbeam Average member

Cryptonomicron by Neal Stephenson is my favourite book at the minute.

ded i likes this.
  5. ded i

Voluptuous Panic - The Erotic World of Weimar Berlin (Wow!)

The Glass Castle - (Superb - a memoir by a reporter for MSNBC - who made it to Park Ave. while her disfunctional parents chose to remain homeless dumpster divers in NYC.)

Roslin, I really enjoyed Possible Side Effects

6. Currently reading "How to impress people and form long lasting friendships" by DJ De Marco.

..think it's a comedy.:ssmile:

mikesknives likes this.
  7. MarieLaveau

MarieLaveau Pistol Packin' Mama Lady Devil

I haven't bought any new books in a while, so I'm currently re-reading two old favorites:
    "A Stained White Radiance" by James Lee Burke.
    "Hard Candy" by Andrew Vachss

Burke is one of my all-time favorite writers....his style is beautiful, and off-sets the subject matter perfectly. Most of his stories are set in South Louisiana. Tortured main character, a recovering alcoholic cop barely hanging onto his sanity, but never giving up the fight against evil. Some hilarious secondary characters, too.

Vachss is another long-time favorite. Very spare in style, but he manages to create incredible imagery with so few words. His characters are perfection...the main character is a sort of con man/thief/vigilante, with a soft spot for abused children and a penchance for destroying their abusers. In real life, Vachss is a children's rights advocate and attorney.

8. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

Was out Xmas shopping last night, and saw two books I would like to get on the 25th.

Weird Maryland; and Shape Shifter by Tony Hillerman.

9. mikesknives

mikesknives The English Knife Purveyor Knife Maker or Craftsman

Book List and Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction.

I think most people know me fairly well by now but here's a little about myself. I'd always been interested in knives from an early age I think a lot of young boys are, that and fire, two of our earliest primevial allies with out which I wouldn't have this keyboard sat on my knee wirelessly carrying my thoughts to a box of plastic and metal bits which transmit it to the world down a wire. Not bad progression from a piece of flint and rubbing to sticks together.

About four years ago I got online and it did rekindle my interest and the access it gives you to information and other stuff is amazing. So I started to add to the small collection of knives I had bought over the years, unfortunatly I soon realised I couldn't afford the knives I wanted in my collection and I'd toyed with the idea of making some knives years ago after I bought the Loveless "How to make knives" book so I thought I'd have a go at that. I started buying other books about knives and made some tools but other projects got in the way like organising a knife show for the UK and starting to dabble in selling knives this left me with little time in the workshop but as my other great love in life is books I realised I'd slipped into being a book collector instead of a knife collector or maker! I collect survival and bushcraft books, self sufficiency and knife titles and as I've been meaning to catologue them for insurance for a while now I finally got round to it and thought I'd share with you the titles that are available.

I'm hoping to go further than just a list and add pictures and small review of each title but I wouldn't hold your breath it may take a while. Any way here's the list I hope it is of some us to some one I know it's not complete there are a few titles that I know I'm still looking for but if anyone has anything thats not on this list even if they don't want to sell it I'd like to know about it.

Knife books

Blade’s Guide to Making Knives Joe Ketzman

Wayne Goddard’s $50 Knife Shop

How to Make Knives Richard W. Barney and Robert W. Loveless

Ed Fowler’s Knife Talk
    The art and science of knifemaking.

The Tactical Folding Knife Bob Terzuola
    A study of the anatomy and construction of the liner-locked folder.

How to Make Folding Knives Ron Lake, Fronk Centofante and Wayne Clay

The Wonder of Knifemaking Wayne Goddard

How to Make the Basic Scagel Slipjoint Folder Jerry Van Eizenga

Knifecraft Sid Latham

How to Make Your Own Knives Jim Mayes
    An illustrated step-by-step guide for the sportsman and home hobbyist.

Custom Knifemaking Tim Mcreight
    10 projects from a mastercraftsman.

How to Make Your Own Knives…..Etc Percy W. Blandford

Step-by-step Knifemaking You Can do it! David Boye

The Hand Forged Knife Karl Schroen
    An introduction to the working of modern tool steels.

Tool Steel Simplified Frank R. Palmer
    A handbook of modern practice for the man who makes tools.

The Advanced Knifemakers Manual Harold Hoffmann

Make the Knife You Carry Kelen C. Greene

Pocketknives Bernard Levine
    The collector’s guide to identifying,buying and enjoying vintage pocketknives.

Knives Pat Farey
    An illustrated encyclopedia of knives for fighting, hunting and survival.

The Complete Guide to Hunting Knives Durwood Hollis
    Everything you need to know to select the right blade.

The Beauty of Everyday Objects Japanese Knives Form and Function Series

The Encyclopedia of American Knives Vol 1 Blackie Collins
    How knives are made.

Knives and Knifemakers Sid Latham

100 Legendary Knives Gerard Pacella

Knives of the World Jean-Noel Mouret

Art and Design in Modern Custom Folding Knives David Darom

Art and Design in Modern Fixed-Blade Knives David Darom

The Art of Modern Custom Knifemaking David Darom and Dennis Greenbaum

The Sheffield Knife Book Geoffrey Tweedale
    A History and Collector’s Guide

Randall Made Knives Robert L.Gaddis
    The history of the man and the blades

Knives: Points of Interest (1 through 5) Jim Weyer

Knife Digest First Edition William L. Cassidy

Knife Digest Second Edition William L. Cassidy

Modern Handmade Knives B R Hughes

American Handmade Knives of Today B R Hughes

The Best of Knife World Vol I
    A collection of articles about knives. Reprinted from monthly issues of Knife World

The Best of Knife World Vol III
    A collection of articles about knives. Reprinted from monthly issues of Knife World

For Knife Lovers Only Harry K. McEvoy

Guns and Ammo Guidebook to Knives and Edged Weapons

Knives Digest 1 Ken Warner and Bruce Voyles

Gun Digest Book of Folding Knives Jack Lewis and B R Hughes

Gun Digest Book of Knifemaking Jack Lewis and Roger Combs

Gun Digest Book of Knives B R Hughes and Jack Lewis

Gun Digest Book of Knives 2nd Ed Jack Lewis and Roger Combs

Gun Digest Book of Knives 3rd Ed Jack Lewis and Roger Combs

Gun Digest Book of Knives 4th Ed Jack Lewis and Roger Combs

Gun Digest Book of Knives 5th Ed Jack Lewis and Roger Combs

Sporting Knives 2002 Joe Kertzman

Sporting Knives 2003 Joe Kertzman

Sporting Knives 2004 Joe Kertzman

Sporting Knives 2005 Joe Kertzman

Knives ’81 Ken Warner

Knives ’82 Ken Warner

Knives ’83 Ken Warner

Knives ’84 Ken Warner

Knives ’85 Ken Warner

Knives ’86 Ken Warner

Knives ’88 Ken Warner

Knives ’89 Ken Warner

Knives ’90 Ken Warner

Knives ’91 Ken Warner

Knives ’92 Ken Warner

Knives ’93 Ken Warner

Knives ’94 Ken Warner

Knives ’95 Ken Warner

Knives ’96 Ken Warner

Knives ’97 Ken Warner

Knives ’98 Ken Warner

Knives ’99 Ken Warner

Knives 2000 Ken Warner

Knives 2001 Joe Kertzman

Knives 2002 Joe Kertzman

Knives 2003 Joe Kertzman

Knives 2004 Joe Kertzman

Knives 2005 Joe Kertzman

Knives 2006 Joe Kertzman

Tactical Knives Dietmar Pohl

Blades Guide to Knives and their Values Steve Shackleford

Knives of War Gordon Hughes,Barry Jenkins and Robert A. Buerlein
    An international guide to military knives from world war I to the present.

Big Book of Pocketknives Ron Stewart and Roy Ritchie
    Identification and values.

Military Knives A Reference Book
    From the pages of Knife World magazine.

Survival/Fighting Knives Leroy Thompson

Fighting Knives Fredrick J Stephens
    An illustrated guide to fighting knives and military and military survival weapons of the world.

British and Commonwealth Military Knives Ron Flook

Living on the Edge Jim Weyer and Al Williams
    Logos of the Loveless legend.

The Practical Book of Knives Ken Warner

Knives Military Edged Weapons and Tools James Marchington

The Complete Encycopedia of Knives A.E.Hartnick
    A comprehensive guide to knives from around the world.

An Encyclopedia of Knives Norman M. Strung
    An illustrated consumer’s guide to buying, using, sharpening and caring for all over-the-counter knives.

Illustrated Guide to Knives Jan Suermondt

Sharpening and Knifemaking Jim Watson

American Knives Harold L. Peterson

Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World Harold L. Peterson

Collector’s Guide to the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife Alan W. Locken

Collectible Pocket Knives Dominique Pascal

Field Knife Evaluations Jerry Younkins
    The good, the bad and the ugly of hard-use knives.

The Collections of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers of London Keith Hinde and John Herbert
    London-made knives and their marks.

The First Commando Knives Prof. Kelly Yeaton, Lt.Col. Samuel S. Yeaton and Col. Rex Applegate

Knives and Daggers Zdenek Faktor

Swiss Army Knives a Collector’s Companion Dereck Jackson

Hunting Weapons Howard L. Blackmore
    From the middle ages to the twentieth century.

On the Knife Edge Clare Jenkins and Stephen McClarence
    The inside story of the Sheffield cutlery industry.

The Complete Handbook Knives, Swords, Daggers Gerald Welland and Bernard Levine

Identifying Pocket Knives Bernard Levine
    The new compact study guide and identifier.

Scagel the Man and his Knives Harry McEvoy

Shire Album 223
    Penknives and other folding knives.

Shire Album 320
    Table knives and forks.

Custom knives Buying Guide Les Robertson

The Earliest Commando Knives Dr. William Windrum

10. MarieLaveau

Just bought and finished Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising". It's more subtle than the other books in the Lecter series, but gives much more insight into the monster. Actually, makes you wonder a bit if he really IS one.

I always try to support MS writers, too, and Harris is one of my favorites, regardless.:ssmile:

11. Lady MacDeath

Lady MacDeath Little member Lady Devil

Small Gods is a good introductory discworld book ~ I can't remember if it's the first one or not. It's my favorite.

There is a series by Piers Anthony called the Incarnations. In the first one, the main character kills death and has to assume the duties. It's very funny and has a Pratchett/Adams feel about it. Each of the books is about a different diety.

I've never read anything funnier than David Sedaris' Barrel Fever. The story entitled Last You'll Hear From Me is a letter written by a young lady to be read at her funeral, designed exact revenge on her exboyfriend and arch enemies by exposing all of their dirty little secrets.

The Curious Incident of the Dog at Midnight is a terrific story about an autistic boy trying to solve a murder in London.

I've just started House of Sand and Fog and would also like to get the Wierd Maryland book.

12. MarieLaveau

I've read that Piers Anthony series, although it was years ago. Wonderful!

13. ded i

Perdido Street Station (China Mieville also wrote King Rat) truly bizarre cast of characters including cross-species sexual relationship between male humans and female beings with chitinous carapace heads. Also mutant moths which feed off the dreams of sentients leaving victims in a permanent vegetative state. Effluvia of the "feeding" released into the air as the moths fly, fertilizes their human crop with a plague of nightmares.

Dinner at Deviant's Palace
    (Tim Powers) Another sci fi with a well-realized alternate world. Good action, enjoyable funky cyborgs, and full metal/plastic robots. Basically the protagonist is a musician with "redeemer" gifts - i.e. he is resistant to magical & drug enhanced enchantments of cult leaders, so he can rescue artificially addicted recruits and return them to society.

(almost finished) Piety & Politics -The Right Wing Assault on Religious Freedom (Rev. Barry Lynn) Outright lies & misconceptions of Christian fundamentalist dogma. Details the laws and dates of legislation which show the US Government is based on separation of church and state and why that separation is necessary.

14. Poolshark

Poolshark Captain America Brigade Member

George R Stewart's "Earth Abides"
    Tad Williams' "Otherland" series
    Iona and Peter Opie's "Classic Fairy tales"
    Stephen J Gould's "The mismeasure of man"

15. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

state of Fear
    and
    Next

both Michael Crighton.

Love them both (havent finished Next).

ded i likes this.
  16. silenthunterstudios

Saw this one and had to have it

Star Wars Dark Lord The Rise of Darth Vader, by James Luceno

Takes place a couple months after Episode III, Vader hunts down Jedi, and solidifies himself into the Dark Side. Pretty entertaining, he basically goes around like a badass, intimidating everyone and hacking limbs off, but you also get a look at most of the main characters, and see the seeds of the Rebellion.

17. silenthunterstudios

Picked up Nessmuk. Great storytelling, but I would like to know why he is so highly regarded. Not an attack on him, I am very interested in his writing and character, this one was a small collection of his Field and Stream articles.

18. Revolvergeek

Revolvergeek Average member

In no particular order...

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

The Matt Scudder mysteries by Lawerence Block

The Archie McNally mysteries by Lawerence Sanders

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Stress Fire by Massad Ayoob

Unrepentant Sinner, Askins on Pistols & Revolvers by Charles Askins

Sixguns by Elmer Keith

Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting by Ed McGiven

No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan

19. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'm too cheap to buy the hardcover, I've been waiting for the soft-cover edition - now that the movie is coming out, I may get my wish.

I really enjoyed the entire Hannibal Lecter series, creepy as that sounds.

20. xrayzebra

xrayzebra whirling dervish

At the risk of revealing that I am a real degenerate, I have to admit I just do not take time to read books much any more. When I was a kid, I read like a maniac. I read almost every book Jules Verne wrote before I was in third grade.

But I do read a little... usually non-fiction on obscure subjects. One problem I have is that once I pick up a good fiction book, my real life stops until I am done reading it. Once, in the second grade, I picked up a book during a 15 minute winter recess where we had to stay indoors. An hour later, I hit a really scary part and when I slammed the book shut the entire class started laughing.

The teacher (who I remember as an amazing woman to this day) had noticed I was reading so intently that I didn't realize recess was over. She had pointed this out to the rest of the class as an example of how powerful reading a book is, and told everyone not to disturb me as she went ahead and taught the afternoon lesson.

One of my all time favorite books is Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. It's a real thick non-fiction history of several unrelated events in which very large numbers of people behaved stupidly at the same time.

It covers "tulipomania" in Holland hundreds of years ago when people speculated and invested fortunes in tulip bulbs, the Crusades, the witch hunts of Salem, and some famous pyramid schemes. The chapters on the Crusades alone are as thick as most usual books you might read.

The underlying theme is that whatever kind of knuckleheaded behavior a single person is capable of can be manifested in even more amazing ways by thousands or even millions of people with the right catalyst. Humanity is capable of marching lemming-like off of a cliff in massive numbers.

I've been "reading" books on tape lately. I've listened to 19 of Patrick O'Brien's books in the "Master and Commander" series about (Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Steven Maturin) in the last couple of months, and I've started them over. These are, by the way, the unabridged version - most of them are 12 to 18 hours long. I spend a lot of time in cars and airplanes. I'm half way through the third one again. They are pretty damned good.

You might wonder what in the hell could go on for 20 books and still be interesting. If you've seen the movie, Master and Commander, you know these are about the captain of a British military ship in the 1800s and his sidekick, the doctor. The books are also about the "Age of Enlightenment," and the advances of science during the early 1800s, the Napoleonic Wars, the social conventions of the times, romance, economics, astronomy, navigation, geography, politics, dueling, etc.

As you progress through them, some of the books have a touch of Pride and Prejudice... subplots about the relationships between men and women, longing and desire, honor and shame. They have a lot of well researched historical information, and a lot of twists and turns of fortune. If you enjoyed the primary characters in the movie, these books follow their personal histories over a period of at least 20 or 30 years. The settings range from London, to Bombay, to Chile, to the Mediterranean.

Oops... sorry... this was s'posed to be about books, it wasn't s'posed to BE a book.

By the way - if anybody has the books on tape version of The Mauritius Command, I'd really like to get a copy. The only reason I haven't listened to all 20 books is that my copy is totally screwed up.