1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Davinchi code is great! Read it a long time ago. Angels and demons by the same author following that story is even better!

2. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I went to a broadcast of an interview / documentary with John Le Carre (Pen name of David Cornwell) recently.

Pretty fascinating that as an employee of MI5, he was encouraged by his "cell" to write books based on his experiences. Eventually, he went to MI6 and further development of characters "fictionally" came from these employees of what became "The Circus" in his books.

His character George Smiley was based largely upon a unit manager at MI6.

I just got the newest book today "A Legacy of Spies".

norcal13 likes this.
  3. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

Working on Origin by Dan Brown. Excellent start.

Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir. Very good.

Read the whole Harry Potter series as well. Interesting how the tone and intent aged with the characters.

Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris was also quite interesting if you like his take on things.

Kelper likes this.
  4. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

desmodus likes this.
  5. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Kelper likes this.
  6. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Ok desmodus let me know what you think. Robbie lives in California, I haven't seen him since 1974.

desmodus likes this.
  7. leo

leo JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

"The Name of the Wind" - Patrick Rothfuss

I haven't read as much fiction lately as I used to but I got this recently on a recommendation form my brother and it was a great read. It's part of a 3 book series, but the third one isn't finished.

norcal13 likes this.
  8. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm into the second Odd Thomas book by Dean Koontz.

They're not a bad read.

9. wes

Started another re-read of American Gods by Gaiman. One of those that I re-read every year or so. That's on the Kindle in the evening.

I am also reading Gaiman's Norse Mythology in hardcover in the morning before work. A great retelling of the myths with a good dose of humo(u)r. Seems a good wintery combo.

norcal13 likes this.
  10. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Master and commander
    P obtain
    So good
    Of the Russell Crowe movie fame

11. wes

Re-reading Abercrombie's The First Law right now.

People mess up, lots of weaponry, things are funny, bits and pieces are cut off, lots of blood ... pretty much sounds like many of the bali posts on here.

Seriously though, it's a very engaging read.

norcal13 likes this.
  12. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

abercrombie is the fucking bomb.
    have you checked out Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns?

13. wes

Yes, I have that series for my Kindle. Wasn't able to get into it but I might reload it with this recommendation.

14. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

it's harsh but it plays along the anti-hero lines.

15. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Leviathon awakes. James Corey. The Expanse series from sci fi continuing on prime. Excellent.

16. desmodus

I'm reading the Alex Hunter series by Greig Beck.

I'm four or five books in and it's quite decent.

17. heavyhandedmonkey

heavyhandedmonkey Tiny Member

Jade City is the book I'm reading at the moment. If you like yakuza & kung fu fantasy check that book outtt

woodlander and BennytheBlade like this.
  18. Nosaj

Nosaj JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Memory Man by David Baldacci. Just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. That was excellent.

19. wes

Just finished "The Black Company" by Glen Cook. Good story with just a bit of magic.

Also reading "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack De Crow" by A.J. McKinnon. A teacher sails a Mirror dingy across England, across the English channel, and down to the Black Sea. 4900 km in a very small sailboat. Good read especially if you enjoy a bit of history and literacy reference.

20. KaliKid

KaliKid Brigade Member Brigade Member

Currently reading "The Miracle of Mindfulness", by Thich Nhat Hanh

littlejoey and desmodus like this.